Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

Isn't aaperrtiur actually more close to how it is pronounced?
more like ahh-per-cher.

07-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have nevar mistiped or missspelled a word in my life ...I don;t make misstakes ...

1. I am a computer geek from way back cutting my teeth on cryptic languages such as tacl / rpg / fortran / jcl / cobol / and today still do quite a bit of unix ...

2. I translated that skill into word docs, emails , IM's ....

3. Sometimes I am so far off a word spellcheck figures I need another word altogether and the results can be hilarious and sometimes embarising ....

4. I have purposely misspelt and mis-typed some words here others are just my raw talent.

Another faux paux for me is letter siwtch (haha) and outright forget words like I do NOT like that becomes I like that ... so I have left myself several outs on a controversial email or letter
07-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
The one that really annoys me is LENSE.
Singular = Len
Plural = Lens

Just trying to help.
07-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
Inactive Account

My biggest language pet peeve is:

"I seen that"

Listen up language crusher, it's "I have seen", or "I saw", not "I seen". Every time I hear someone say that my brain turns to acid and boils out my ear. It's not pretty. Believe me.

c[_]

07-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
bare - bear
When people write "please bare with me" I get such an awful image in my mind.

Oh yes!
07-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Compliment, rather than complement is quite a common one here (hear? hair? hare?).

And I've just noticed a few "I could care less" comments, when obviously what is meant is "I couldn't care less", however it seems intentional, which is strange.
07-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #22
mel
Veteran Member

I too get a tad annoyed with the apostrophes for things that are plural rather than possessive (my favorite picture's).

But in spoken language, an annoyance that I hear all the time in my job as a public librarian in a not so great part of my county is "axed" for asked, and "libarry" (more like lahBARry) for library.

But then again who am I to talk? In my quirkiness I tend to say "asted" instead of "asked" as I have trouble with that "sk" combination. But I AM aware of it and try to slow down when faced with that particular word.

As for complement/compliment - according to my dictionary here in my lap, the latter means an expression of praise, while the former means something that completes, or makes up the whole. So actually they are two different words with different meanings (hey I'm a librarian!).

07-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I hate this thread. I have the worst spelling and grammar and was born and raised in the USA. I am pretty sure I have done all of what has been typed and will continue to do it. not meant to annoy anyone just is me I will move along now.

PS. This has been talked about in just about ever forum I have ever belonged to. I laugh every time.
07-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I'm so glad that it got under your skin Pat Just a little fun

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-29-2008 at 02:35 AM.
07-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

LOLO how about where, were why am I still looking!!!! need another beer (on vacation this week )
07-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

i hate misuse of punctuation, like commas, colons, semi-colons, and hyphens. i also hate when people start sentences with prepositions.

i also hate when people say things like ATMOS system. it's ATMospheric Omission System, not ATMospheric Omission System system! that's a tautology! ..mr ''conditional clause!''

lol
07-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #27
Damn Brit

I'm sure people spell it incorrectly as well but..................... If I had a bullet for every time I heard someone say "heighth" instead of "height' I would be a mass murderer by now.
07-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #28
Pentaxian

And " lens' " in every use of the word...

And "unique" can not have a modifier, such as "very unique". It is or it isn't.

Its' acturely quiet sad that many Americans, at least, can't spell. What happened to teachers?

I think if you can't pronounce, spell, or define a word, you should not use it until you can.

(For non-native English speakers I have no problem with their English, good or bad.)

Oh, "to" and "too", much less "two".

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-28-2008 at 08:57 PM.
07-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #29
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Its' acturely quiet sad that many Americans, at least, can't spell. What happened to teachers?

I think if you can't pronounce, spell, or define a word, you should not use it until you can.
ACTURELY????? OOPS! Actually

07-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

There have been some excellent examples of which words drive them, and me also, nuts when spelled/spelt or pronounced incorrectly.

One that always annoys me is when people pronounce etcetera as eccetra. Drives my insane!

Wiv/wiff instead of with is another pet hate.

Having bitched about that, here is a great example that maybe we are too pedantic?

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Still legible and yet completely misspelled/misspelt.

Last edited by Lance B; 07-28-2008 at 11:02 PM.