Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
This is an area I do take note of all the time. English came from a mix of several languages in England and the added U (or should I say that some drop the U) as well as a few other things that have been changed or dropped in North America has always gotten under my skin. I know a language evolves and changes over time, new words get added (to Google is now a verb), meanings change (gay used mean 'happy'). But the spelling of old words doesn't need to change.
I think that's the problem. Pronunciation is changing all the time however you leave spelling unchanged. And therefore you have such huge differences in pronunciation and spelling. So huge that you even have spelling contests English world should adjust spelling to pronunciation Open up your mind and adjust spelling to reflect how people actually speak

P.S so is it LENS or LENSE?

08-01-2008, 06:08 AM   #77
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I agree that pronounciation does change to some degree but "colour" is still "colour" and "honour" is still "honour". Those and many more are still said the same way they have been for decades or longer. Shortening a word just because we're too lazy will turn everything into "web speak" eventually and I'l B ansering al ur ? lik tis at som point.
08-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
As one of the "silly folks" that puts the "u" in the words you mentioned I have to say that that is not a case of misspelling but rather regional and geographical variances. You'll find that Canadians and folks from the UK spell using the 'u'. We are not unintentionally spelling the words incorrectly but rather spelling them the way it was drilled into our skulls in school. I recall with vivid clarity being strapped on the hands several times by a witch of a teacher for failing to spell properly. I dare not omit a 'u' for fear the ghost of 'Old Lady MacRae' rises up from the grave with her black leather strap and smite me down yet again.
Oh, I know it's all the regional variations and dialects - but I just couldn't resist the temptation to get in a wee dig on the subject And hopefully Ms MacRae will *stay* in whatever portion of the afterlife she's in...

Jim (a veritable Heinz 57 of ancestry - Scots, Welsh, English, French, Irish, Dutch, Norse, Icelandic, and dog only knows what else...)
08-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Typos and misspellings are two completely different things..

Anyone is capable of a simple typo.. It takes a special someone to misspell words.

(Though if your native language is something other than the one you're conversing in at the moment, you get a free pass on spelling)

08-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Just to add my little french in there. In french, the letter "Q" is pronounce KU, which sounds (in french) like a**. Whe n I was in school, we were forbidden to pronounce it like the French (from France as opposed to Québec) because it "sounded" dirty. But now, in school, they teach it like the French (from France) want it. Go figure.
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Please someone tell me that you guys REALLY don't get upset or driven crazy by misspelling and poor grammar. It bothers me when I use your instead or you're, but that is because I know better. I make mistakes all the time. But to think that mistakes like grammar and misspelling can really bother someone is just a tad anal don't you think? This is a photography forum. All in fun dontcha (yep I use stuff like that) know? I am sure we all notice these things, but are you really bothered by it? How did you guys ever survive raising kids? ;-p
08-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #82
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
It relly dosn't bothr my at al. I mak hundrds of typo;s al hte time. I thnk its a funn dissccussion thogh.

I just can't get over how this silly thread has taken on a life of it's own. The very best photo ever posted here, hasn't gotten half this much attention.

08-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Please someone tell me that you guys REALLY don't get upset or driven crazy by misspelling and poor grammar. It bothers me when I use your instead or you're, but that is because I know better. I make mistakes all the time. But to think that mistakes like grammar and misspelling can really bother someone is just a tad anal don't you think? This is a photography forum. All in fun dontcha (yep I use stuff like that) know? I am sure we all notice these things, but are you really bothered by it? How did you guys ever survive raising kids? ;-p

It is like a slightly tilted horizon in images - it's not the end of the world, but it does detract from the shot and can normally be easily fixed.
08-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #84
Veteran Member

^True...is it that painstaking to proofread, or let Firefox underline your wrong words in red?
08-02-2008, 05:33 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Typos and misspellings are two completely different things..

Anyone is capable of a simple typo.. It takes a special someone to misspell words.
It was Mark Twain who said, "It is a damned poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
08-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #86
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Please someone tell me you REALLY don't get upset or driven crazy by threads about misspelling and poor grammar. It bothers me when I use its instead of it's, but that is because I know better........................................

Gary
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
This is an area I do take note of all the time. English came from a mix of several languages in England and the added U (or should I say that some drop the U) as well as a few other things that have been changed or dropped in North America has always gotten under my skin. I know a language evolves and changes over time, new words get added (to Google is now a verb), meanings change (gay used mean 'happy'). But the spelling of old words doesn't need to change.

Then there's the mispronounced "Z". It's ZED btw. The letter's origin is from the French and that's the way it's always been said there as well, for longer than we've spoken modern English.

I feel the flames coming...
The problem was that the Americans tried to "fix" spelling, a noble sentiment. But unfortunately they didn't go all the way, just cut out a few u's, double letters (as in travelling), and dabbled with other words. As a result spelling of english words must be even harder for non-native speakers. In the end, I believe we're worse off for it rather than better. Unfortunate rather than a disaster though.
08-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #88
Veteran Member

All this talk about the quirks of English spelling is interesting, but Japanese takes the cake. Here's an example I use on Japan-related forums to dismay those just starting out on learning to read it:

東 = "higashi"
東海 = "toukai"
東海運 = "azuma kaiun"

For those folks who can't see the characters displayed properly:

The first character is identical in all three, and read differently in all three ("higashi" in the first, "tou" in the second, and "azuma" in the third). The first two characters of the second and third are identical.
08-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
All this talk about the quirks of English spelling is interesting, but Japanese takes the cake. Here's an example I use on Japan-related forums to dismay those just starting out on learning to read it:

東 = "higashi"
東海 = "toukai"
東海運 = "azuma kaiun"

For those folks who can't see the characters displayed properly:

The first character is identical in all three, and read differently in all three ("higashi" in the first, "tou" in the second, and "azuma" in the third). The first two characters of the second and third are identical.
that's comparable to C

(c)ity the s sound.

(c)urtain the k sound

(c)hair the ch sound..
08-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, since english is my second language, I would say, my grammar...I think faster than I type so I often forget to place words where there should be a word...I hate forgetting words in sentences.