Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may have been Piggy who said that. Whether he was correct is up for debate (on the rugby field? I'd have said cricket pitch but does NZ play competitive international cricket?).

03-16-2017, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the advantages of dual citizenship is that my team is always winning in the current Black Caps vs Proteas cricket match. LOL
03-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Apparently, the greatest number of people deported from Australia for committing crimes are New Zealanders - having no checks on Kiwis coming here would open the floodgates to all your baddies!
Pot. Black.
Given that Australia was established as a penal colony ...
03-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Pot. Black.
Given that Australia was established as a penal colony ...
Only because America wouldn't take the convicts any more. Oh, and some, what were to become States in Oz, were never penal colonies.

Many transported to Australia were sent for the most trivial offences. I do have to wonder when I look at the range of people transported, e.g., architects, skilled stonemasons, builders, etc. They couldn't have all been hardened criminals - not like the Kiwis we are deporting.

When the British try to raise the penal colony bit, I like to point out that many of those sent here were able to become, through hard work, affluent and respected members of the community, something that would never have happened had they remained in Britain or Ireland.

03-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Only because America wouldn't take the convicts any more. Oh, and some, what were to become States in Oz, were never penal colonies.

Many transported to Australia were sent for the most trivial offences. I do have to wonder when I look at the range of people transported, e.g., architects, skilled stonemasons, builders, etc. They couldn't have all been hardened criminals - not like the Kiwis we are deporting.

When the British try to raise the penal colony bit, I like to point out that many of those sent here were able to become, through hard work, affluent and respected members of the community, something that would never have happened had they remained in Britain or Ireland.
Some were transported there for stealing very little, like a loaf of bread. I bet bread would be stolen left right and centre if that was still an option today!
03-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Some were transported there for stealing very little, like a loaf of bread. I bet bread would be stolen left right and centre if that was still an option today!
Absolutely! It's not a bad place here in Oz but I could live in the South Island (NZ for those not from around here) in summer - if it wasn't for all those bloody EnZedders! One day I'll take my motorbike or hire one and tour down there (I've only done it by car).
03-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you come this way, you're most welcome to visit. I've had the good fortune to see Melbourne and Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast and a bit of Perth and rural AU. Would love to do a holiday to Sydney.

03-16-2017, 11:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for the offer, Mark.

Sydney is a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here.

I've been to the South Island a few times and the North (up around Auckland) a couple of times on holiday. I've been to Jervois Quay, Wellington a couple of times for work when I was visiting Telecom NZ (now Spark Telecom).