Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Reminds me of when I went bowling for a week to see what the fuss was - couldn't keep score but I did bag a few turkeys.

"Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
"We're not gonna just let you walk out of here."
"Who's 'we', sucka?"
"Smith, Wesson, ... and me."

12-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
As a Canadian, I have a hard time understanding about what attracts people to guns. this is not a gun control or any other rights involved.
so what is it? the power?
freedom?
defence? (and what are you defending maybe)
.22's, .33's, .357 etc why so many different calibers?
I know that there are Canadians that own guns, but not on the same scale as our American neighbours

no arguing please!

randy
This reminds me of a joke and kind of answers your question at the same time.

While out in the bush 2 hikers chatted about what kind of gun they use for bear protection, The first hiker said well I use a 9mm, the second hiker looked at the first and said you better file off the front sign right away. The first asked why I don’t think I will be shooting them at a great distance. The second said hell no its so that when the bear shoves it up you’re a$$ it doesn’t hurt.
12-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As said already, the question(s) of "Why?" and "Why so many variations?" can fill books. Or even book*shelves*... It's fun, it provides a mental focus in the marksmanship, protection, hunting, and all the other reasons. The variations are because each intended use has different requirements, different economics, different safety needs, etc etc. And of course, the "just because" factor - why do you like Chevys and hate Fords, or vice versa? Why do you like purple not green? Why do like this 50mm lens over that 50mm lens? Personal preferences sure play a role. So do size, strength, all those sort of things.

An incredibly complicated answer to a seemingly simple question.
12-10-2016, 02:22 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a Canadian, I have a hard time understanding about what attracts people to guns. this is not a gun control or any other rights involved.
freedom?
I know that there are Canadians that own guns, but not on the same scale as our American neighbours

no arguing please!

randy
Many moons ago, Randy, I had a 7.62mm assault rifle and a 9mm pistol as I was in the army. So, those were, mainly, for self defence, but also for attack if necessary. I never had to shoot anyone - quite pleased about that now. Then, I lived in South Africa where many people carried (legally) concealed for self defence purposes. For that I had a regular .38 Special. Nice simple weapon that would work under most conditions. I had to unholster it only once and that was enough of a deterrent for the would-be assailants to beat a swift retreat.

Here, in New Zealand, self defence is not a legitimate reason to own a firearm - even our Police are not routinely armed and, indeed, firearm violence is rare.

These days I seldom use firearms, but I do, on occasion, use a shotgun for duck shooting, a .22 for rabbit and hare shooting and friends of mine use a variety of calibers for deer hunting, depending on what they're shooting at and from what distance. As others have said, it really is a bit like cameras with different lenses. All a question of the right tool for the job.

12-10-2016, 02:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

what attracts [some American] people to guns.
In a word - mystique.

Last edited by wildman; 12-10-2016 at 03:43 AM.
12-10-2016, 03:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a Canadian, I have a hard time understanding about what attracts people to guns.
For people who live in far-off areas and own rifles, hunting probably - I get that it could be fun, exciting and of culinary interest. For all other people and types of weapons such as pistols, assault rifles. submachine guns etc: stupidity.

I served in the armed forces through 2 wars and am intimately familiar with weapons, used to sleep with an M16 and later a Galil rifle in my sleeping bag and can still take an AK47 apart blindfolded but see absolutely zero use for those kind of weapons in any normal and decent society.
12-10-2016, 03:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
For people who live in far-off areas and own rifles, hunting probably - I get that it could be fun, exciting and of culinary interest. For all other people and types of weapons such as pistols, assault rifles. submachine guns etc: stupidity.

I served in the armed forces through 2 wars and am intimately familiar with weapons, used to sleep with an M16 and later a Galil rifle in my sleeping bag and can still take an AK47 apart blindfolded but see absolutely zero use for those kind of weapons in any normal and decent society.
Agree with you completely,the pertinent phrase being "normal and decent society".

12-10-2016, 04:22 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If previous experience is any indicator I am quite certain this thread has a rapidly approaching expiration date.

Chris
12-10-2016, 05:43 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If previous experience is any indicator I am quite certain this thread has a rapidly approaching expiration date.

Chris
If it gets political.....
12-10-2016, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

freedom?

no arguing please!

randy
I've wondered the same thing about fishing poles.
Long ones, short ones, some as big around at the base as my wrist, some not much fatter than a pencil. Some of them are so short and stiff you use them fot a crane and others are like buggy whips.
It's ridiculous. They're all just a stick with a really long string attached.

12-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GolNat Quote
That's what shotguns are for. No aiming required, just point in the general direction.
I think I got the point of different size bulletins for game
The issue is get confused on is mostly about hand guns and the reason you require so many calibers

Thanks

Randy
12-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I was brought up in a peace church with complete disapproval of guns, but I bought a 22 when there was a rabid fox in my rural community and I needed to be able to keep my dogs from getting into it with it, But my friends and I sometimes sat on the porch shooting targets in the field in front of us. The same guys liked to shoot pool. The gun to us was just a different kind of shooting competition. No one attached any particular importance to the fact that it was a gun. I'm still ant-gun compared to most Americans...but, should I need one at some point, I'll have no problem getting the license and bringing one home. In fact I wish I had the licence already. A neighbour offered me an antique shotgun with beautiful engraving, and I couldn't accept because I didn't have a license. That's messed up. I probably wouldn't have ever fired it, they should have let me have the gun and asked to see my license when I went to buy ammunition. But hey, you can't tell politicians what the right way to do things is.

Last edited by normhead; 12-10-2016 at 07:03 AM.
12-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've wondered the same thing about fishing poles.
Long ones, short ones, some as big around at the base as my wrist, some not much fatter than a pencil. Some of them are so short and stiff you use them fot a crane and others are like buggy whips.
It's ridiculous. They're all just a stick with a really long string attached.

And then there are open face spinning reels, casting reels, closed spinning reels, fly reels and all with special rods in all kinds of sizes. Then there are short ice fishing rods and tip ups. People with LBA have nothing compared to avid hunters or fishermen! But gun and poles are just the start. Now add things like boats, ATV's and the trailers and vehicles to haul them. Duck blinds, tree stands, special boots and waders, camo clothing.

With a hunter, guns aren't enough either. You need a few compound bows and crossbows too!
12-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was brought up in a peace church with complete disapproval of guns, but I bought a 22 when there was a rabid fox in my rural community and I needed to be able to keep my dogs from getting into it with it, But my friends and I sometimes sat on the porch shooting targets in the field in front of us. The same guys liked to shoot pool. The gun to us was just a different kind of shooting competition. No one attached any particular importance to the fact that it was a gun. I'm still ant-gun compared to most Americans...but, should I need one at some point, I'll have no problem getting the license and bringing one home. In fact I wish I had the licence already. A neighbour offered me an antique shotgun with beautiful engraving, and I couldn't accept because I didn't have a license. That's messed up. I probably wouldn't have ever fired it, they should have let me have the gun and asked to see my license when I went to buy ammunition. But hey, you can't tell politicians what the right way to do things is.
In most (but not all) states long guns are not subject to permit restrictions. The exceptions being machine guns.
12-10-2016, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In most (but not all) states long guns are not subject to permit restrictions. The exceptions being machine guns.
It used to be that way here. The long gun registry has been a political football for years. Police like it, they like o know if there are guns in the house when they go to a domestic. The Conservatives killed it. No one really knows if it actually did any good. What we do know however is it cost a lot of money.
Closed Thread