Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
trying to figure out guns

As a Canadian, I have a hard time understanding about what attracts people to guns. this is not a gun control or any other rights involved.
so what is it? the power?
freedom?
defence? (and what are you defending maybe)
.22's, .33's, .357 etc why so many different calibers?
I know that there are Canadians that own guns, but not on the same scale as our American neighbours

no arguing please!

randy

12-09-2016, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why so many different calibers? Why are there so many different film formats?

You wouldn't shoot a squirrel with the same size bullet that you would shoot a deer with. Well you could, but there wouldn't be much left of the squirrel...

Anybody want to make odds on how long this thread will be open?
12-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why so many different calibers? Why are there so many different film formats?

You wouldn't shoot a squirrel with the same size bullet that you would shoot a deer with. Well you could, but there wouldn't be much left of the squirrel...

Anybody want to make odds on how long this thread will be open?
they are well aware of what I was going to post, so hoping people won't kill me
12-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Any hunter can tell you right off the difference in calibers. A .22 is fairly small and would be used for small game such as rabbits, squirrels, etc. Shot guns shoot a wide pattern of small pellets, good for birds, ducks, geese. Again, smaller calibers for smaller birds and the large gauge shotguns for game like deer, bear. A 12 gauge is used for ducks and geese but with smaller pellets and will have a longer range than say a small size like a 16 Ga, 20 Ga, or 410 Ga. It all comes down to larger calibers for larger game at a longer distance.

A subject like this can fill a book. There're different velocities for different shells, too. Magnum means a larger shell cartridge than standard. There are probably websites than can explain it all and local libraries probably have in depth books on the subject.

12-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This doesn't feel like a sincere question
12-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not particularly a gun advocate, but I think a lot of it has to do with what you grew up with. Most of my friends growing up did a lot of target shooting and skeet shooting in order to get ready for various hunting seasons. Depending on what you are hunting, you use different size caliber.

I think it can end up being a lot like golf where you are constantly trying to better your score -- be more accurate, etc. Clearly there are some people obsessed with personal defense, but I don't think that is most of it.
12-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

If you have never shot a gun, I suggest going to the range and spend an hour or so shooting some different calibers. Most shops will have rentals where you only buy the ammo. This is not a question that can be answered, only experienced.

12-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 1wild1 Quote
If you have never shot a gun, I suggest going to the range and spend an hour or so shooting some different calibers. Most shops will have rentals where you only buy the ammo. This is not a question that can be answered, only experienced.
I think it would be fun to try different handguns, but renting and firing ranges are not an option were I live. places like Walmart only carry air guns round' here

randy
12-09-2016, 04:53 PM - 2 Likes   #9

For people who live out in the country where it will take a police officer to long to respond, a gun provides an added layer of security/defense. Only ever to be used as a last resort in my opinion.
12-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you choose to own a firearm of any type please get trained to use it, even if you train yourself, practice so you can use it safely and secure it and the ammo so "unauthorized" individuals cannot have access to it

i hate to read about a child being shot or injured because the "adult" did not secure the firearm and the ammo.

Firearms are tools. Similar to cameras and lenses. Used properly no problem.

IHMO

Please remember that I realize that my opinion and $ will buy coffee at the diner.
12-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I treat it like golf. Passionate improvement pushing against my own skill.

And as others said calibers are like lenses. Different purposes and niches. Most guns are like primes - one caliber only. Some guns have interchangeable barrels/chambers etc.
12-09-2016, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #12
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
This doesn't feel like a sincere question
100% agreement here. A " photographer " who asks this type of question must only have one lens. No need for different caliber " lenses."
12-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Advice to me from the person who convinced my state legislature to permit concealed carry:

If your reason to own a hangun is really defending your life, home and property - the Castle Doctrine - you should be prepared to recognize a threat to life and limb, in the dark, having just awakened, because if there is no threat YOU can be held to account; and if it is a threat, be prepared to put 2 rounds, not one, in the upper left thorax because if you only wound the threat (he) can sue your personal estate; and you have to do all this in less than 2 seconds.

To be good enough to do that every time you have to practice, 1000 rounds a month should suffice.

If you aren't prepared to practice that much saw the end off a baseball bat and keep it under your bed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
if you choose to own a firearm of any type please get trained to use it, even if you train yourself, practice so you can use it safely and secure it and the ammo so "unauthorized" individuals cannot have access to it

i hate to read about a child being shot or injured because the "adult" did not secure the firearm and the ammo.

Firearms are tools. Similar to cameras and lenses. Used properly no problem.

IHMO

Please remember that I realize that my opinion and $ will buy coffee at the diner.
12-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
To be good enough to do that every time you have to practice, 1000 rounds a month should suffice.
That's what shotguns are for. No aiming required, just point in the general direction.
12-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Reminds me of when I went bowling for a week to see what the fuss was - couldn't keep score but I did bag a few turkeys.

"Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
Closed Thread