Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes! Pea shooters. And later sling shots. First ones made ourselves with as many rubber bands as we could find. Later with a little allowance money, what we thought were ultimate sling shots made by WHAM-O.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 12-13-2016 at 07:18 AM.
12-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

What about rubberband guns? I made a 3-shot rifle from a 2x4, clothespins and some finishing nails. Similar in principle to this one:

Old Rubber Band Gun - Children Game Of The Past - Isolated With Clipping Path Stock Photo 118215850 : Shutterstock
12-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once upon a time I fabricated a crossbow, using a longbow. The only commercially available crossbow at the time was made by Crossman who also made pellet rifle, the the price was way out of my childhood reach.
12-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We also made our own darts.
Wooden matchstick, needle or pin, thread, and paper, similar to this:

12-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
What about rubberband guns?
I made many of those too, but not very fancy.
They're a wonderful older sister aggravator.
12-12-2016, 03:02 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We used straight pins, bent with pliers, as fish hooks. Without a barb, the fish commonly would escape. Later the little store a nearby started offering Eagle Claw hooks that were within my allowance.
12-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was a kid we used to make 'spears' out of 6ft bamboo poles from the garden with a carving knife taped to one end, dustbin (trashcan) lids were used as shields ('Zulu' was the big movie at the time). We used to throw them at each other too!

We also used to play 'splits' where two people would stand opposite each other and one would throw a knife into the ground close to their opponent's feet and the other had to move their closest foot to the knife. That person then got to throw the knife at the first person's feet. Failing to reach the knife with your foot or falling over was considered a victory to the other side. A knife throw that didn't stick into the ground was considered a fail and the non-thrower would be allowed to resume a feet side-by-side stance for their next throw. I was hit in the foot a few times playing that game!

When you look back at some of the things we used to do as kids it's a wonder we are still alive today!
12-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I also used to sit on the curb with a hammer and rolls of caps. I never did recover my hearing...
This reminds me how I would go to the school shooting range, and collect .22 casings and spent lead bullets to melt down and make slugs for my catapult (slingshot to some). The casings were used to put several match-heads into, and folded over. I would then turn my head away and hit this with a hammer. In a garage with a tin roof, the noise would leave my ears ringing - tweeeeee!!. My left ear has significant hearing loss, and I suspect this may be the reason.
The most dangerous thing I did was to engage in wars using a wire catapult with an elastic band to propel staples. They were often embedded in our legs, but what good luck we were not blinded. Then pea shooters that fired pins in a cone that fitted the pea shooter. We had to pull those out also. Looking back, I realize people have died doing far less dangerous stuff than I did, I am lucky to be alive.

12-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The South Shore of Long Island is surrounded by swamps and wetlands.
In summer trucks used to drive along the streets bordering them spraying clouds of insecticide for mosquito control.
I remember kids used to race along on their bikes right behind the trucks in the cool mist.

Chris
12-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a great fort. Four cut down dead birch trees for each of the four corners. There was a lot of house building goin on in the area and we used to visit the building sites to collect the scrap lumber. Once completed we covered the whole thing with roofing shingles. The inside was insulated with cardboard and we even had a small glass window. Some years later a friend of on of my little brothers set it on fire. With the tar paper and roofing shingles going up a lot of black smoke rose into the skies. 7 firetrucks came to put it out. Since charcoal does not decay, the pile is still there in the overgrown brush almost 50 years later.
12-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Can you hear me now?

12-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The South Shore of Long Island is surrounded by swamps and wetlands.
In summer trucks used to drive along the streets bordering them spraying clouds of insecticide for mosquito control.
I remember kids used to race along on their bikes right behind the trucks in the cool mist.

Chris
I remember the mosquito spray trucks on Long Island as well (Baldwin to be specific, if you know the LIRR call out: Rockville Center, Baldwin, Freeport, Wantagh, Massapequa, etc). The trucks sprayed into maple trees in our neighborhood. The leaves had an oily film afterward. Our mother kept us in when spraying was scheduled.
When a new houses were going up nearby, I collected scrap lumber, pieces 18 inches or less in length, and built a fort/house in the back yard. No board was long enough to cover the top, so I tacked on an old throw rug (not good for rainy days). I built the thing in a bad spot, forcing my father to try to move it. As soon as he lifted one side, it collapsed back into disordered scrap, much to my horror. Tried to rebuild it, but, IMHO, it was never the same.
12-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Holding a Fizzies tablet in your mouth until it all dissolved. You were a legend in your neighborhood if you could do it. All sorts of stories out there of kids stomachs exploding etc.
12-13-2016, 07:06 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I remember my first hula hoop, it was black.

My first transistor radio was red, it had 4 transistors and looked like this one, best I can recall.

12-13-2016, 07:13 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Splitting Hydrox and Oreo cookies by twisting, then licking off the cream center before eating the crunchy chocolate cookies.
Chocolate filled straws that would convert ordinary milk into chocolate milk (they also came in strawberry, but yuck on those).
Various plastic straws: "crazy straws" that were twisted into complex shapes, and character straws that had a clown or celebrity of molded plastic between the end in the drink and where you put your mouth.
Watching Kukla Fran and Ollie, Howdy Doodie, and a bit later Captain Video first on a TV that had a tiny picture tube with a massive magnifying lens in front of it, later on a TV in a cabinet with doors that closed over the front.
Playing out in the yard inside an enormous cardboard box in which a new refrigerator arrived, until there was a rainy day.
Playing with the Lionel train set at Christmas, set up on the otherwise unused ping-pong table. Making it go too fast so it tipped over around the first curve.
Going to a double-feature movie on the weekend, and getting a couple Disney cartoons between the features.