Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
You had a brother like that too huh!? Mine was 10 years older than me and took great pleasure in making my life miserable. He used to pick me up and bang my head off the ceiling or grab my belt/waistband from behind and then pick me up and carry me around like a suitcase until he got bored and literally dropped me to the ground. He thought it was funny, me less so! My life changed dramatically when he left home to get married!
Yes although he never really wanted to hurt me. I was just a convenient source of amusement. He is 3.5 years older and has since apologized. We are pretty close now.

12-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
You had a brother like that too huh!? Mine was 10 years older than me and took great pleasure in making my life miserable.
My brother is 7 years older than me.
He would put a blanket over my head, hold me down and say You can't breath! You're suffocating!
I blame him for my claustrophobia.
12-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Camping with the Boy Scouts and all of us carrying Bowie Knives with 7 inch (17.8 cm) blades on our belts for God only knows why. Too big to do much of anything with. I found it stashed away in my basement a few years ago. Cleaned it up and finally put a decent edge on it. Still no practical use for it. Too big a blade for just about anything other than fighting a grizzly bear until it kills me.
12-19-2016, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
My brother and I rescued an abandoned duckling at our condo complex pond and it bonded with me. For the summer everywhere I went the duckling would follow. I had to wade in the pond to take her for a swim and actually met a great, lifelong family friend doing that when he drove by and wanted to take some photos of the "duck boy". He later gave me that ME Super that was my first SLR when I was in highschool.
FYI: The phenomenon of a hatchling duck or goose "bonding" is technically called "imprinting." There's a rather short window of time after hatching when a youngster will follow something large that is moving, with stronger imprinting if the object is making sounds and if it is somewhat difficult to follow - for example if there are branches on the ground that the youngster must get up and over. Goslings & ducklings will imprint on humans, dogs, cats, horses, basketballs, essentially anything that is moving. To demonstrate for students we used to imprint them on a Disney pull toy, then demonstrate that the ducklings would not follow a different toy or the teacher when not pulling a toy. If there is no object to follow during the critical period, the hatchling will never follow anything.

12-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Camping with the Boy Scouts and all of us carrying Bowie Knives with 7 inch (17.8 cm) blades on our belts for God only knows why. Too big to do much of anything with. I found it stashed away in my basement a few years ago. Cleaned it up and finally put a decent edge on it. Still no practical use for it. Too big a blade for just about anything other than fighting a grizzly bear until it kills me.
when I still made/built knives over 90% were at least six inches long

my question always was... "what's the first knife you grab in the kitchen?"
the answer for kitchen use was the benchmark for personal use

I usually carry a larger swiss army knife or a leatherman wave for daily use but I USE tools every day
however my outdoor knife is a seven inch randall (I could never make a blade as well as them)
now in my advanced state of decrepitude I could get by with a five inch but i'll never be able to afford another

knives are just tools
your seven inch bowie is merely the equivalent of a twenty ounce framing hammer
never too big when used with some finesse but almost always big enough

as to why you carried that particular knife...you KNOW why
12-19-2016, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope no one takes offense, but have you seen a French army knife? Aside from a fleur de lis instead of a Swiss cross, all of the tools are corkscrews.
12-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I hope no one takes offense, but have you seen a French army knife? Aside from a fleur de lis instead of a Swiss cross, all of the tools are corkscrews.
ditto regarding offense

there is another version where all the blades are white flags

actually , if memory serves, garret wade used to sell a "French army knife" that was spoon, fork, knife and corkscrew in one handle

this might be it?...http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,40725,45454&p=58244
12-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
ditto regarding offense

there is another version where all the blades are white flags

actually , if memory serves, garret wade used to sell a "French army knife" that was spoon, fork, knife and corkscrew in one handle

this might be it?...French Army Bivouac Knife - Lee Valley Tools
Or the English one,which only has the tool for extracting stones from horses' hooves

12-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #54
Veteran Member

in a box somewhere I do have a british army knife that is absolutely bulletproof
the thing is so heavy you could put it in sock and use it as a cosh
which is good because it doesn't hold an edge very well

someone made off with my uk navy knife which did hold an edge and had a marlinspike for undoing wet knots while canoeing
I had it tethered to my thwart
maybe it just cut itself free

the hoof knife referencing missed opportunities?
12-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Horseback riding and not being able to get the stupid horse to move from the wheat field, just kept feeding. Had to un-mount from the saddle (slide down) and get my dad. I was about 11 yo.
Darn stressful at the time!
01-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #56

When I was young fireworks were still legal (Guy Fawkes night) and in reality there was no age limit on who could buy them. For a period of a couple of weeks before and after cracker night, nothing was safe. I remember coming home from primary school with thripenny bungers ( which were like small sticks of dynamite) we used to drop them down storm drains for a reburb that would bring people out of houses for miles, or dynamite ant mounds. The truly classy would hide them in the toilet block at school with a mosquito coil or cigarette time delay fuse, carefully timed to go off whilst we were on parade. To get caught of course meant the cane, but everyone enjoyed the spectacle so much that it was rare for anyone to inform.
I remember one superbly timed example one morning, five explosions one after the other in sequential cubicles, smoke gushing out the windows, ah the glory and the grins of pleasure on the kids faces, it would have done credit to a demolition company! (needless to say we didn't have smoke detectors or sprinkler systems in those days.)

The other fun thing was skyrocket fights at the local bit of bush, you used a piece of steel pipe as a bazooka to aim your rocket at your "enemy" who would stand about 60 - 70 metres away! I remember making one of those Korean multi rocket launchers from metal strapping and bits of left over pipe when they re-fenced our school, the contractors used to just give them to us!
You were supposed to only use the cheap 1cent skyrockets that didn't go bang when the vertical propellant ran out. - supposed to. I lost a set of clothes, eyebrows, and had tinnitus to two days once when someone didn't.
01-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmar Quote
used a piece of steel pipe as a bazooka to aim your rocket
We used PVC pipe later on in life = grownup.
When we were kids, me and my cousins used to take on the neighborhood kids with sling-shots made with surgical rubber tubing. We used fence staples for ammo... they ricocheted off the asphalt really well.
There was roughly a 75/25 chance between getting a nasty bruise or bleeding.
The things we used to do for entertainment!
01-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lucky you still have both eyes, Ex Finn. We could never get surgical tubing. We used strips from inner tubes, those from bicycles were easiest to cut to shape. A friend somehow got a bucket full of ball and roller bearings, both about 1/2 inch maximum measurements, but we never shot at each other.
01-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Lucky you still have both eyes, Ex Finn. We could never get surgical tubing. We used strips from inner tubes, those from bicycles were easiest to cut to shape. A friend somehow got a bucket full of ball and roller bearings, both about 1/2 inch maximum measurements, but we never shot at each other.
We had some basic rules. Like, don't go for the head if you can hit something else...
02-17-2017, 05:27 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Or the English one,which only has the tool for extracting stones from horses' hooves
That was indeed the official use, but more often it was used for removing Boy Scouts from Girl Guides' knickers !
Talking of fireworks, I was about six when I discovered that rockets can go along as well as up - and that motorists have no sense of humour.
We used to tape four rockets together, with a 'jumping jack' in the middle, and if we timed it right, the super rocket would shoot into the air, then jerk around like mad as the jumping jack went off.
Aah, happy (if dangerous) days.