Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is shooting flash all guessing

Wasn't sure whether to post in Accessories or here, the answer is obvious.

Would you consider shooting flash portraits and "studio" work all hit and miss?

How many people actually use flash for inside work?

08-01-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote

I allways use flash.. and for me.. its all about calculation, to get what I want out of a shoot.
08-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indoor portraits - flash is a must for me, bounced, strobist-style, whatever it is, P-TTL's been OK. But if I'm using more than one flash, there's where I'll go into M mode and work out which is my main, fill and hair lights and set them accordingly.

Hit and miss, probably not - more like educated guesses, maybe
08-01-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd much rather shoot in natural light, but sometimes it's just not doable. In those situations I have no problem using flash. I have a P-TTL flash, but I don't trust it 100%. Manual is the way to go, especially when shooting an event where you're moving and the light is constantly changing. I wouldn't call it hit or miss, but there's definitely some adjustment involved. For the most part (if your stationary) once you have everything set, the rest is pretty much a breeze. It only gets to be a PITA when you change your lighting and have to go through the tweaking process all over again.

08-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

JC,

I discovered this with a remote flash, and haven't tried it with a shoe mounted system. So it may not effect what your trying to do.

If your shooting with the flash, and getting nasty shadows in the background turn the ISO Up.
Or if you decide that you want more shadows turn the ISO down.
I don't know why the ISO effects the shadows, but it does.
08-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I follow the instructions and have read quite a bit on using a flash. I still haven't figured it out completely. The only way I can figure it out is to set the camera and flash manually and take a few test shots to get everything dialed in the way I want it. If I don't, I never know what the heck will happen. I'm still struggling to get a firm handle on external flash usage. Using it off camera is much more forgiving from my experience. Fortunately off camera flash is easy with the k10d.
08-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I know that we discussed this a bit last weekend, but I would say that flash work is a combination of math and experience plus a bit of trial and error to fine tune and compensate for variables you may not have time to measure or may not be able to measure accurately in a given set of shooting circumstances.

Once I have my flash dialed in and I'm happy with it (whether in auto or manual mode) I don't change the settings unless my lighting conditions change or I want to go for a different look.

Shooting indoors I use a combination of bounce flash, direct flash, remote flash and fast primes with no flash depending on the look I'm going for.

08-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

On this particular question, I would answer no, because I use a flash meter. It absolutely gets me to the right ballpark, section, and row for any given light setup. After that, I just have to find my seat, and that's a matter of fine tuning to get just the right effect.

Seriously, I'd never work without one now that I've used one.

woof!
08-02-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your remarks. I really do wish the subject is discussed more often. I am so unfamiliar with lighting for internal work (guess I never had the space for it) and more so with flash.

Seaain (is that the equivelant of Shane?) what's a flash meter, is that the same as a light meter?

Ian, unbelievably the 285 IS working. I'm glad I never got rid of it, I'm just waiting to change the hotshoe on it.
08-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
Not Registered

I would recommend you to read the book Light:Science and Magic. You will see that lighting is everything but hit or miss.
08-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Seaain (is that the equivelant of Shane?) what's a flash meter, is that the same as a light meter?
JC... actually yes, the spelling Seaain is archaic for Shane. Pronounced exactly the same.

A flash meter is a light meter which is capable of capturing a flash and measuring it ... So you set it to ISO 100, 1/180th for example, set the flash meter to flash mode, place it where the subject will be or have him/her hold it, and fire off a flash. It tells you what f/stop to use. Done. Fini. Over. A good one will also allow you to change a parameter such as ISO and see the effect of f/stop value.

Since I tend to always be shooting in a manual mode, in order to get my non P-TTL flashes to fire, this is a godsend. It gets me right to work.

I use a Sekonic L308S Flashmate. In addition to being a very good flash meter it is also a plain Jane ambient AND incident light meter. I am a little embarrassed to reveal that though I shoot with a lot of vintage film cameras, some older than myself, I usually METER with a Sekonic digital. (Harump says the purist in me...)

Sekonic L-308S FLASHMATE

You can usually get them new for about $160.00... there is one on eBay right now for about that price. I picked mine up in near unused condition for about $85.00.

Hope this helps...

Seaain
08-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've always preferred natural light when shooting B&W film but have found the results to be unsatisfactory for digital colour. Have you thought about a flash meter? It takes a lot of the "guesswork" out of exposure and contrast. The other choice is to use the histograms to narrow in on the correct exposure. Dave
08-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a MultiBlitz flashmeter (damn, I should look at the equipment I have) which I bought on the forum, but can't figure how to read a flash.

If I ain't stupid, I sure feel like it at times.
08-03-2008, 04:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

JC Like Woof I depend on my flash meter and have a Polaris which works the same way as his. Ambient and Flash meter settings with the same adjustments. Do you have the manual for the meter you have? It's usually a fairly simple process. Do as Woof described. But you have to know how to get the meter in the reading mode. Mine for instance, put the meter in flash mode (toggle button for various modes) and make sure the white dome is covering the sensor. Then I push another button to activate the reading, the screen will blink (it's digital) until I fire the lights. Once the lights have been fired, It will show me the settings for that ISO and shutter speed. I can then adjust the shutter speed on the meter to give me various F stop reading to get the desired setup. Once done the meter goes back in the pocket till something changes.

I do chimp some to double check but usually it's not necessary. I think what Stu was referring to was he's guessing a bit and either increasing or decreasing the light to the sensor (sensitivity) thus the shadows become darker and deeper when the sensitivity is higher and vice versa.

So it's far from guesswork and very simple. You can often find a manual for almost anything by typing in the Google search engine. "manufacturerer of product" then Model Number" then "Devicemanuals.com" that will take you to a web site that has thousands of manuals from toasters to high end stuff. Example: "Pentax K100D Devicemanuals.com"
08-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Peter, nice to see ya in here.

Saain, Dave and Peter - guess what - I read the f-in manual and voila, I got a reading. I'm as happy as a pig in tutu. Sometime this week I'll be trying it out. Amazing how much I've learnt from you guys and Ian in a very short period of time.

Course, one must want to learn and not just sit there.

Off to bed for a couple of zz.