Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My stove glass blew out

We were sitting around the kitchen table last evening and the front glass on the stove just blew out like a bomb. Glass everywhere. It wasn't turned on and hadn't been for a couple days. No one was near it at the time either. It just blew out for no reason.

12-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! That must have been a shocker. We have the same stove, I think -- now I'm worried.
12-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Wow! That must have been a shocker. We have the same stove, I think -- now I'm worried.
It's a Maytag
12-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Electric or gas? I can understand how a gas stove could do such a thing if gas built up but not a clue if it's electric.

12-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Electric or gas? I can understand how a gas stove could do such a thing if gas built up but not a clue if it's electric.
It's electric and when I googled the problem, it's not as uncommon as I would have thought
12-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
It's a Maytag
I think our Kenmore is actually the same stove under the name tag.
12-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think Kenmore, Maytag and Whirlpool are all owned by the same parent company now but I could be wrong.

12-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear nobody was hurt. It is more common than people realize from what this link indicates. Good luck.

How and Why Glass Oven Doors Shatter
12-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Same thing happens.ed to our Dacor gas range.
12-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The stresses in tempered glass, are extremely high, and sometimes an imperfection in the surface, edge or internal to the glass can start the run needed to blow out the glass.

But in your case, it was probably a manufacturing process defect that lead to the breakage. Not a way to tell if the new piece will blow-out, except for destructive testing on other pieces while the batch run is done.

In Automotive, the glass is identified by a DOT# and build date in the stencil. The appliance business, I'm not sure if you can track batches to see if your next piece will do the same thing.
12-25-2016, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Santa was hitting inflight booze and confused the air vent with the chimney. "Whuuut??!? Why is there a turkey in the fireplace?"
12-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Santa was hitting inflight booze and confused the air vent with the chimney. "Whuuut??!? Why is there a turkey in the fireplace?"
Masonry stove.
Our oven is in the path of the chimney right above the firebox.
Turkey is in there now...
12-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Masonry stove.
Our oven is in the path of the chimney right above the firebox.
Turkey is in there now...
Nice! Ours is currently in a piece of equipment my wife recently acquired as a late anniversary/early xmas present. She got herself a halogen oven and she's hardly left it off since getting it! It does a great job of cooking anything she's thrown at it so far, in a fraction of the time it takes in a regular oven and with a fraction of the energy usage too (I love saving money!)

It uses a halogen lamp to generate heat which is then distributed around the food via a fan so you are basically cooking with hot air. Meat, veggies, pop-corn, it does the lot (some even at the same time). It can even be used as a dehumidifier to make dried fruit slices or jerky.

halogen oven - Google Search

Last edited by Tako Kichi; 12-25-2016 at 02:49 PM.
12-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I think Kenmore, Maytag and Whirlpool are all owned by the same parent company now but I could be wrong.
Yep, the old reliable Maytag brand was bought out and closed down by Whirlpool several years ago. Current Maytag products are relabeled imports.
12-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #15
MSL
Pentaxian

@Riggomatic has nailed the main issues. Once the stresses are there, the least impact can also trigger this sort of blow out - and that could easily have come from elsewhere in the house or setting down something hard on a counter top or some other random reason. Glass is great until it suddenly isn't. If you want to see an example of this google Prince Rupert drops, which is water quenched glass blobs, usually with an extended tail strand. You can hammer on the bulb with no effect, but snip the tail and the drop explodes.