Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
dpreview rant thread

So,after 10 years on dpreview got permanently banned for putting a link to my photobook kickstarter link in my signature. Not alerting people to it,just having it there. In the explanation I was even told that I cannot notify people that my book will be released and where to find it. Whichever way you look at it (and I can understand that they do not want people advertising there) a book is the same creative process as a picture, more advanced,but still a result of photigraphic work. So while posting pictures or links to galleries is absolutely fine with them,book isn't. I wonder what options have photographers left to showcase anything else than free picture galleries.. Just ranting... Btw the kickstarter is cancelled so I hope I'm not kicked out of here too

01-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear about this, David.

It's pretty standard protocol to block/ban anyone linking back to a site that makes money for them, though.

01-07-2017, 12:29 PM - 6 Likes   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Around here, having been permanently banned from DPR garners one respect.

You are hereby awarded pentaxforums.com's Merit Badge, developed by PF member MRRiley:

Last edited by Parallax; 01-15-2017 at 01:04 PM.
01-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Around here, having been permanently banned from DPR garners one respect.

You are hereby awarded pentaxforums.com's Merit Badge, developed by PF member MRRiley:
Haha, honour on my part!

01-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's pretty standard protocol to block/ban anyone linking back to a site that makes money for them, though.
That's pretty drastic for simply including the link in a signature line. We don't allow the links in the body of posts, but when we see it, unless it's done repeatedly, we simply remove the link (or the post itself if the advertising was its only purpose) and send the member a reminder that it isn't allowed.
01-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

That is generally how DPR is run these days.

I've seen at least half a dozen posts / threads disappear without any mention of it.

I've even commented, saw my comment disappeared an hour or two later (obviously deleted), reposted the same comment, saw my comment deleted again, reposted the same comment, before the mod just deleted the entire thread (that the mod initially created). They seem to go out of their way simply NOT to communicate with the userbase.. and if they disagree with the comments or questions (even if clearly within the friendly realm of the rules) they will squash them.

That said, can't say I've ever been banned there. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings to be .. That site is riding on the momentum of past employees there, not the current staff...

At least here you get a authoritatively terse PM about it by the vague 'PF staff'. Which, as unfriendly as they are worded/expressed, is better than what happens at DPR.
01-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That's pretty drastic for simply including the link in a signature line. We don't allow the links in the body of posts, but when we see it, unless it's done repeatedly, we simply remove the link (or the post itself if the advertising was its only purpose) and send the member a reminder that it isn't allowed.
That's generous, Parallax!

A signature by someone who posts a lot could become a de facto banner ad.

01-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The interesting thing about the Sigature line is - it's a datafield call from your Profile. Whatever your sig at the time a post is read, even if your post was made in 2006, that's the sig attached to your post. So if you did use your sig line inappropriately that use would show up in every post you ever made.
01-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps, but the difference, as I understand it, is that links, quotes, etc., in signature lines do not show up on searches.
I don't own a website, nor am I familiar with the administration of one, but here's my take on it:
PF has no interest in hindering anyone's enterprise. OTH, Adam has a great deal of time, expense, and effort invested in the forum so, it seems reasonable to me, that he should not allow it to be used freely by anyone to promote their buisness.
This is the reason for the rule that says SITE SUPPORTERS may start one self promotional thread each year.
01-07-2017, 05:53 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the reason for the rule that says SITE SUPPORTERS may start one self promotional thread each year.
I'm one of those ... see you guys later, just setting up my Green Card Lottery Scam thread now!

01-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL!
01-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
you guys make me feel quite relaxed and perhaps even happy to be out of there

anyway, anybody on these forums with experience of releasing a book or crowd funding a project?
01-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Don't feel too bad. I was banned before I ever posted. According to DP review, it was an error on their part. Never regretted being banned.
01-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
you guys make me feel quite relaxed and perhaps even happy to be out of there

anyway, anybody on these forums with experience of releasing a book or crowd funding a project?
Yvon Bourque is a French-Canadian member who does PDFs that are like, the manual that should be included with every camera.

I'm sure he's experienced all of the ups and downs of self-publishing.
01-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I was banned before I ever posted.
that is damn impressive.