Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 07:25 PM - 4 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to say my superstars are Kengoh, a terrific shooter and inspiration, everytime I think I'm getting close to some kind of perfection,kengoh shows me I'm not.
DIgitalis, for his uncompromising technical knowledge and diligence to accuracy.
MikeSF, he's alway doing stuff where I've said " I should do that."
LeRolls, I can't believe no one mentioned him. What's wrong with you guys? Provocative but tastefully provocative, an art in itself.

As a photographer, these guys keep me humble.

Special mention
I'd throw in Parallax, a constant ability to not sweat the small suff, and looking at the big picture. If either of us got serious about our differences we'd have killed each other long ago. It sort of reminds me, your politics can come between you if you let it, but if you're both good people you'll work it out.

Bertwert and luftuss, for coming here and being the kids they are, as a former teacher of kids their ages, they make me feel right at home.
My superstar of help would be Clackers, I've seen him sit there and talk people through diagnosing their Pentax problems with a patience that would for me be impossible.

Maybe not superstars but stars.
On another level, I'd have to mention Eddy1960, even though he still owes me a picture of the Ryerson quad., one of the people who welcomed me as a newbie, dadipentak and Uncle Vanya old farts like myself who I can count on to understand things like wanting a DA*200 simply because it's a half pound lighter than what I've got.

And of course all the guys in "Why I won't buy a K-3." The thread about nothing, You can be busy and stay away for weeks, and feel right at home dropping in even though you know nothing, because it's about nothing.So you know what you need to know.

But I enjoy almost everyone.

Even many of the guys on my ignore list.
I enjoy them, I just can't hold any semblance of a conversation with them.

Last edited by normhead; 01-11-2017 at 07:39 PM.
01-11-2017, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

I just want to say thank you to everybody. The information and helpfulness here is what drew me in and kept me coming back. Even if I don't get time to go out and practice, I enjoy spending time here, learning, asking questions, and keeping informed.

Also the technical competence of the community and photographic skill is superb.
01-11-2017, 08:51 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The moderators have to come first because they maintain an environment that keeps the superstars around. People who know stuff would get tired of a poorly run forum. You would just never hear from them again. (Sort of like banned posters, come to think of it.)

My list would be the people who started and refined the "Single In" challenges. I think this is the first thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/10...a-therapy.html and many contributors have assisted since. Really too many to mention.
01-11-2017, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And of course all the guys in "Why I won't buy a K-3." The thread about nothing, You can be busy and stay away for weeks, and feel right at home dropping in even though you know nothing, because it's about nothing.So you know what you need to know.
Best place here..

01-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The moderators have to come first because they maintain an environment that keeps the superstars around. People who know stuff would get tired of a poorly run forum. You would just never hear from them again. (Sort of like banned posters, come to think of it.)

My list would be the people who started and refined the "Single In" challenges. I think this is the first thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/10...a-therapy.html and many contributors have assisted since. Really too many to mention.

Yep watched those first couple and joined in myself for the first January one (I believe the December was a 12 days of Christmas rather than a single in as proposed by the MIA Patolds , a lt of the original single shooters are still shooting these things I found when I returned
01-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Too many to list...
01-11-2017, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

For me Falk lumo, mikeSF, JSherman, Adam, and even though i don't agree with what he says a lot of the time, monochrome. I wish i wouldve met him during my stint in St Louis,he is a really friendly guy.

01-11-2017, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, PF is definitely a place of a "thousand points of light" for sure, but I think my "superstars" are the non-native English speaking members, who work hard and do such a wonderful job communicating their thoughts to those of us who wouldn't understand otherwise. I greatly appreciate their efforts and viewpoints.

Also, Heie.
01-12-2017, 04:09 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is a cop out, but there are too many to count really. The fact that it is a community and there are different points of view that for the most part can coexist is great. And the image threads -- the lens clubs and the camera clubs really are great. Seeing what others do with their cameras and lenses in different parts of the world is pretty amazing.
01-12-2017, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me... I like the way F*300/4.5 just hangs back in an unassuming way, but steps up when needed..... but when things are dull around here, then K50/1.2 sure does brighten things up... (the lenses are the superstars....right?)
01-12-2017, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Heie, of course. He writes such informative and detailed posts.

Also, one forum member was a jerk to me at one point, and a bunch of other members sent me PMs in support, and I really appreciated that.
01-12-2017, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to wimp out here and not specify a superstar.
I would like to mention what I like especially in the forum;
Those members who post their findings on using legacy equipment, part of the Pentax appeal for me is the ability to use lenses that are decades old so reading about them is great.
Those members that are always willing to provide technical advice to the less learned amongst us. One can never stop learning....or being reminded what one may have forgotten about photography.
Those members who post stunning images, whether in competitions or particular threads, great to be able to view them.
The moderators for keeping the forum moderated, must admit my ignorance has had me moderated more than once.
01-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is a cop out, but there are too many to count really. The fact that it is a community and there are different points of view that for the most part can coexist is great. And the image threads -- the lens clubs and the camera clubs really are great. Seeing what others do with their cameras and lenses in different parts of the world is pretty amazing.
True, and of course as others post names people i missed and respect pop up left and right, it really is a solid community,
03-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

This thread took a short break so I thought I'd bring it back up. I read as a guest for a long time before signing on as a member. I run a forum myself for another hobby and honestly wasn't sure I wanted to be involved in another one on a meaningful level. They can be a royal headache! But after getting a feel for this forum and the way its run I decided to. A forum's tone and atmosphere comes down to 3 things. The admins, the moderators and the contributors. My hat comes off to Adam foremost for what he has put together here and his daily involvement. That alone takes a tremendous amount of commitment. Next up are the moderators here. They do an amazing job here and thats often a thankless job....so thank you moderators! Last but not least are the people that post here daily...offering their experiences,advice, and support , as well as humor. You take whats been given to you here and make it a strong community. Honestly, this is the only other forum I frequent besides my own because of this. Yes there are disagreements , yes there are arguements... but more common are thoughtful discussions and a group of people that share a passion for Pentax. So Salute to all of you as well!
Al
11-17-2018, 12:13 AM - 4 Likes   #30
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hadn't seen this thread until now. It deserves reviving.

Lots of superstars rightly acknowledged already. I won't repeat any of them.

I would add some more of the rock stars of the 300mm+ thread: Ducatigaz, Weevil (who gave us perhaps the single most liked photo ever on PF), Pentaxians, siva.ss.kumar, Alfa75ts, tduell, bhuey, swip, stihlmania, str8talk3r (adding some perspective with his experience of other systems), joeberrio, rkappleby, kameko, zzeitg, RockvilleBob, R0ckstarr, Derekkite, NoelPolar, Dane.Dawg, riseform. Apologies to those I've missed - you (should) know who you are. For those who aren't regular viewers of this thread, dip in at random for many awesome images.

In landscapes, I love the work of NorthcoastGreg, Patriot, Glenn5995.

Plus I always enjoy and learn from the contributions of Savoche, jacamar, mattb123, Rod_Grant, dadipentak, ramseybuckeye, Racer X 69, BrianR, Ter-or, pepperberry farm, Taks, RobG, acoufap.

The prolific and interesting WPresto and noelcmn are pillars of the forum.

We owe a lot to the strobists too, notably mcgregni, because they have filled a big knowledge gap in the Pentax world.

Haven't seen anything from Na Horuk recently, but he's been a prolific and helpful contributor over a long period.

I'll think of 20 others straight after I post this.