Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
B&H shipping to Canada - massive customs?

This is a Q for Canadian Pentaxians out there. Has anyone ordered from B&H?

If so, other than the shipping charge, did you have to pay a custom or a duty when you received the package? And if so, was it massive and large and hurting?

I've seen a few lenses for cheaper from B&H, but I'm wondering if all the customs and taxes that may follow will kill the deal.

08-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Hey there,

Its all depending with what company you are letting ship your order. UPS or USPS is known to get you on duties and taxes when coming over the border. I know of people that have used FedEx to ship their items and have gotten away with paying no taxes and duties, aswell - FedEx offers a great price!

Best,

Shane
08-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
This is a Q for Canadian Pentaxians out there. Has anyone ordered from B&H?
I have ordered several times, from small items (lenses) to fairly large (3 piece lighting kit). According to the current regulations you do not pay duties on photographic equipment imported from the States, you pay only Canadian taxes. So to import any item from B&H the price goes like this: base price + GST&PST (for Ontario) + shipping. That's all, it should be like buying from a Canadian store. Also if I remember well, UPS was the option I have selected each time and my experience has been positive. (Something like "Express" 5-7 days or similar.)

Take note though that I have not ordered anything from B&H since summer 2006, but I think that everything is still the same.
08-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Do yourself a favor and use UPPS NOT UPS
The reason for this is UPS will often charge you ridicules broker fees, where UPPS doesn't.

Personally I just get my goods sent to a US postal box, and someone is always running across anyways.

08-04-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Do yourself a favor and use UPPS NOT UPS
Don't you mean USPS (United States Postal Service). I always have my good bought in the States shipped via USPS and never have any problems.
08-04-2008, 03:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Warning! B&H may be a great company with fantastic prices but if they ship with UPS (as duly noted above) you will pay brokerage fees. These are ridiculously exorbitant surcharges that UPS will charge you for their 'effort' in paying the GST and PST on your behalf. I can show you receipts from UPS to back up my words.

USPS (United States Postal Service) is much cheaper to ship and do not charge brokerage fees. The most you will pay is the GST and PST and sometimes a flat rate fee of $5 to Canada Post when you pick up the package. Lately I have received items sent directly to my door without the taxes or the fee; I am not sure why, but I am thankful!

Been there - done that - just trying to help!
08-04-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Don't you mean USPS (United States Postal Service). I always have my good bought in the States shipped via USPS and never have any problems.
I do beleive that your right, thanks Flyer.

08-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ivan, Jeff and the rest, said it ALL.

Stay away from UPS
Use USPS
If it's under a $100 including postage PO Customs clerks usually let it go through but over a bill as stated above.
08-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also: there are plenty of good Canadian stores with excellent prices. Why use B&H at all?
08-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree, go with USPS

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Warning! B&H may be a great company with fantastic prices but if they ship with UPS (as duly noted above) you will pay brokerage fees.
I agree. Sometimes that does not happen and with B&H it did not happen to me on 4 or 5 occasions. However, I recently got a P&S delivered from LA to Toronto and on ~$130 price I had to pay ~$70 brokerage fees and taxes, most of that being brokerage fees of course!!! I have called UPS to ask for explanation on such high brokerage fees and the lady was wery informative and explained the formula they use for certain types of shipments and it is what it is. I forgot the details, but it basically depends on type of shipment (something air vs. ground and speed of delivery) and price bracket and it is up to the seller to enforce their standard shipping method with UPS which is NOT good.

So I definitely agree, I would suggest using USPS. I believe USPS have a deal with Canada Post and your package could be picked up at the local CP outlet which is convenient (much better than playing hide and seek game with UPS drivers and their unpredictable delivery times).
08-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have noted, UPS is pretty much playing a confidence game with Canadian consumers. I don't use them for anything, and don't do business with companies that ship via UPS exclusively.
USPS will hand off the shipment to Canada Post, and if they can't make a delivery to your door, you can pick the package up at your local post office. They charge a fairly nominal handling fee (it's either $5.00 0r $8.00, I don't recall just now if it went up) and sometimes they charge GST, sometimes not, sometimes they charge customs and excise, sometimes not.
Contrast this with UPS who always charges GST, Customs & Excise, plus their userous brokerage fees on everything that passes through their hands, and the post office starts to look pretty good.
I believe UPS brokerage is 15% of the declared value, with a minimum fee of $20.00.
I'd rather deal with a loan shark.
08-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There's actually a class action lawsuit filed against UPS because of their brokerage fees, here's the details of the initial suit.
QuoteQuote:
October 25, 2006

Poyner Baxter has filed a class action lawsuit against UPS.

The lawsuit claims that on the purchase of goods from the US, UPS fails to obtain consumers’ consent to act as customs broker; or to disclose the existence or amount of the brokerage fee which they charge; or to provide consumers with the opportunity to arrange for customs clearance by themselves. It also claims that the amount of the brokerage fee charged is grossly excessive.

To view the Statement of Claim, click here.

To read media coverage, click here for CBC News, CKNW News, and Canoe Network News, and to read the press release, click here.

If you would like to be included in our database of people in British Columbia who have paid UPS brokerage fees, click here.

For further information email classaction@poynerbaxter.com or phone 604 988-6321.

If you have paid UPS brokerage fees in another province and would like more information, email vicky.theodos@siskinds.com or phone Siskind, Cromarty, Ivey & Dowler LLP at (519) 672-2251 ext 2385.

This Web site is offered for information only and is not legal advice. Use of the site and sending or receiving information through it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. No one should act, or refrain from acting, based solely upon this information without seeking appropriate legal or other professional advice. In particular, you should obtain advice about limitation periods as it may affect your right to bring a legal action on your own behalf. Links to and from from this Web site do not state or imply a relationship between Poyner Baxter LLP and the linked entity.

The story, and more on it can be found here.
on Poyner Baxter's web site.