Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

any one of you play guitar?

i know there are a few guitar threads lurking around. but they all are pretty old. most active thread hasn't been updated since 2012....so here it is again.

photography is an expensive hobby. aside from this, anyone else pick up an instruments? mainly guitar? be it a bass, acoustic, electric, etc..

what are you playing these days? and what are you gassing for?

currently i got three:
godin 5th avenue
Carvin (now keisel ) ct424 (now ct324)
taylor 214-ce

i thought i was pretty happy with what i got...up until i start jamming with a musician who is far more advanced than me. not sure how that works, but now i'm craving another guitar. i'm looking in the direction of:
carvin/keisel cs624
edwards les paul type custom in either black or white
carvin/keisel sh550 with a bigsby
d'angelico ss
ibanez semi-hollow of some sort

i really shouldn't want another guitar, as my skill level has been exactly the same for the last, maybe 7 years...been in a rut, and thus started focusing more on photography and less on guitars. my photography skills picked up ten-folds, while my guitar skills have remain as is.... at one point, i had about 15 guitars, but i sold em all in favor of these three, and started buying lenses and bodies of cameras. prolly thinking of selling the godin 5th avenue in favor of my next guitar...

only one way to fix that...new guitar!

Last edited by hadi; 02-02-2017 at 10:21 PM.
01-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
G.B.A. ( Guitar buying addiction !!! )
01-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kiso Suzuki Achs - Don't play it enough and I play very badly.
01-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
G.B.A. ( Guitar buying addiction !!! )
I use the same term used in photography.
G.A.S.
Gear
Acquisition
Syndrome

Or guitar acquisition syndrome

01-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #5

I could only count up to 4 so I played bass . Squire P bass , a Squire Jass bass & a OLP ( music man nock off ) Stingray bass.I did once have a 5 string bass but it was 1 number more than I could rember made a great place to rest my thumb
My son played guitar ( he could count up to 6)
a Epiphone flying v les paul special Maton ( Australian company ) 503 a Takamine acoustic & a Ashton 12 string acoustic guitars
01-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a couple acoustics - nothing fancy. A '92 Seagull S6 I bought new, and an '81 Yamaha SJ180 I picked up a few years ago. Unfortunately, the Yamaha needs a neck reset The old Seagull sounds better than ever after 25 years. We do have quite an accomplished player among our ranks (IMO). Member Sage97 has recorded some very nice music.
01-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here:

Norman acoustic 6 strings (1984)
Ibanez 12 strings (1974)
Ibanez semi-acoustic (electric)
Fender Jaguar

used to have a load more than that "way back when" !

---------- Post added 01-21-17 at 10:50 PM ----------

I have one of those (see my post above) ... superb sound and easy touch ! "Finger easy" !!
01-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I mostly play jazz and blues. I finish and assemble my own solid bodies out of parts from Warmoth, Musikraft and USACG. I currently have:

1) Hardtail Strat with an alder body, roasted maple neck, and Lace Holy Grail pickups
2) Tele with a chambered swamp ash body, maple/ebony neck, and a single Fralin P-92 in the neck position
3) Jazzmaster 12 string with an alder body, maple neck, and two Rose Picasso humbuckers
4) Godin AAA flamed maple floating humbucker hollow archtop Jazz model (I just got this via Amazon/Godin for $931. It retails for over $2200. I couldn't pass it up. I guess that they were clearing stock. It is super nice IMHO.)
5) Peerless Monarch 16" natural finish all solid maple 16" hollow body archtop
6) Hagstrom HJ-800 16" hollow body archtop
7) Martin SP-000CW acoustic with solid spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides
8) Martin nylon string acoustic with solid spruce top and solid sapele back and sides
9) Tanglewood parlor size acoustic with solid mahogany top and back
10) 12 string Danelectro

Looking to get rid of either the Peerless or the Hagstrom, and the Danelectro. Then besides slight mods to my solid bodies, I am through with GAS for a while.

01-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started playing bass around 30 years ago and have an Aria Pro II Argent Series from around that time that still looks like new and a Michael Kelly fretless acoustic bass.

I started trying to teach myself to play guitar 2-3 years ago and have a Michael Kelly Patriot Limited electric and a Norman (Canadian made) acoustic. I really need to practice more but RL issues are preventing that recently since my youngest daughter moved back home and filled half of my 'music room' with boxes of her stuff that she hasn't got room for in her bedroom (she would have if she cleared the mess up but that's another story!) and now I haven't got room to swing the cat never mind one of the axes!
01-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jazz guitarist, checking in.
My photography time has usurped much of my guitar playing time, but I still grab a gig every 2 months or so.wineries, weddings, private events.

No more G.A.S. , I already own my dream guitar(s), after spending many years in the acquisition process.
Cheers.

Here's my Sakashta custom 7-string:

Sakashta Opera Custom 7

Here's a Benedetto:

Benedetto (Explore #53)

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-30-2017 at 04:10 PM.
01-30-2017, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i know there are a few guitar threads lurking around. but they all are pretty old. most active thread hasn't been updated since 2012....so here it is again.

photography is an expensive hobby. aside from this, anyone else pick up an instruments? mainly guitar? be it a bass, acoustic, electric, etc..

what are you playing these days? and what are you gassing for?

currently i got three:
godin 5th avenue
Carvin (now keisel ) ct424 (now ct324)
taylor 214-ce

i thought i was pretty happy with what i got...up until i start jamming with a musician who is far more advanced than me. not sure how that works, but now i'm craving another guitar. i'm looking in the direction of:
carvin/keisel cs624
edwards les paul type custom in either black or white
carvin/keisel sh550 with a bigsby
d'angelico ss

i really shouldn't want another guitar, as my skill level has been exactly the same for the last, maybe 7 years...been in a rut, and thus started focusing more on photography and less on guitars. my photography skills picked up ten-folds, while my guitar skills have remain as is.... at one point, i had about 15 years, but i sold em all in favor of these three, and started buying lenses and bodies of cameras. prolly thinking of selling the godin 5th avenue in favor of my next guitar...

I thought music was an expensive hobby until I got into photography. I'm a guitarist/songwriter who got into recording as well. Microphone buying addiction is very similar to LBA for all of the same reasons. I went full force into photography as my creative outlet, and haven't actually played a guitar in a few years. While fun, hiking and photographing weddings don't even come close to the thrill of playing live.

Back to the guitar question: Epiphone Les Paul Std Goldtop, Epiphone Dot, Fender Toronado, Hagstrom Super Swede, fretless Fender Jazz Bass 24, and an old magical Fender acoustic/electric. I just remembered that I have an old photo of them on my flickr page:

My most expensive guitar was the one that I liked the least.... Fender American Standard Strat (mid to late 90s). I ended up having to sell it quickly for way less than it was worth. The only guitar that I wish I never sold was a MIM Telecaster with some custom pickups.... that thing had such a smooth neck and incredible midtones.
02-02-2017, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I have been playing bass in a rock and blues band for over 20 years. I'm left handed but play right handed.
Some pics of my gear.

02-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Spent two years trying to teach myself electric guitar(the Epihone Sheraton in my avatar pic)lost interest last year but have vowed to give it another go this year,perhaps a course of lessons would help?
02-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Spent two years trying to teach myself electric guitar(the Epihone Sheraton in my avatar pic)lost interest last year but have vowed to give it another go this year,perhaps a course of lessons would help?
i'm self "taught". i tried the lessons for a bit and found it frustrating as i took lessons about 8 years into playing. as such, my egotistical mind wont un-learn stuff i picked up myself, which was leading to the instructor and myself to get frustrated....

do try taking lessons and see how they treat you. and try different instructor if the first doesn't work.

i am curious about those games you put on your playstation that apparently play with you and teach you stuff accordingly....
02-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife has a Taylor 510 and a baby Taylor. About all I can play is a Kazoo but not all that well.