Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've spent alot of money at Adorama and have Never had a problem with the Products or the People over the past 3 years.
I can't say how the customer service dept. is ,,but If I had a question and called them they were always very nice to me.
I just called and canceled a order by phone monday, I had ordered the wrong size UV filter. And they were very nice to me and canceled the order and I got a confermation email in a few min.

08-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adorama is very generous with ratings...

I've had two experiences buying used gear from Adorama.

I bought a Pentax 200/4 lens hood and a Pentax 28/2.8 lens hood in a case. Both were rated "E" I would consider them as C+, fully functional but well used (scratched and marked) and not "Excellent."

A year later, I bought a 85mm 2.0 SMCM lens, again rated "E." ("Josh" the salesman tried to talk me into an extended warranty on a lens that was built nearly 30 years ago...not sure how that was going to work.) The lens I got was maybe a "B minus-minus" the glass was clear, but the paint was well worn, the little white index bump was gone and the blades were very sluggish when stopped down by hand. I kept it since the lens "worked" and I didn't want to argue with Adorama about what constitutes "E" condition.

Lesson learned - Adorama is overly generous in their ratings for used gear. An "E" rating at Adorama is "Ugly" to "Bargain" condition at KEH. My advice to the original poster... find the same gear in "excellent" condition at KEH and buy it. It might cost a bit more, but will work, it will be right, and it will be what you expect from "Demo" quality equipment.

germar
08-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
My advice to the original poster... find the same gear in "excellent" condition at KEH and buy it. It might cost a bit more, but will work, it will be right, and it will be what you expect from "Demo" quality equipment.
I do NOT have any experience with Adorama and used gear. However, I can tell you that germar is 100% correct about KEH. If it is Excellent at Keh, you will not be disappointed. I've done about $7-800.00 with Keh and their rating system always tends to fall in the buyer's favor. Well worth the trip.

woof!
08-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I've purchased many items from Adorama over the course of the last 8 months or so and have never had a bad experience. All items have been delivered on time and in perfect condition. Customer service has been great. I do not buy used equipment over the internet outside of Ebay so I cannot testify to their used equipment.

It is true, a company has to live with it's past no matter how it's changed. As the saying goes, make a customer happy and they will tell one person, make them mad and they will tell 10.

As a business owner, I have to constantly be on guard so as not to let my emotions get in the way of a business transaction. Sometimes you bite your tongue and look the other way when dealing with bad service to get the price that is compatible with your own bottom line. After all, pitching a fit isn't going to pay the bills, and you are business to make money, not be Dr. Phil.

My business is built on top-notch customer service. It is the life-blood of any business. Therefore it is hard when I have to deal with suppliers who do not have the same regard for service. Some have ticked me off to no end and forced me to cease dealing with them. Some have asked in good faith for a second chance. Two of them are now my best suppliers. It is because they have more to prove while rebuilding their reputations that has turned them into fantastic companies. If I would have let my emotions have control, I would have told them where they could stuff their product! I'm glad I didn't as they have become great business partners and friends.

BTW Helen, any chance you can finangle a "Pentaxian" discount for us forum members?

08-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
I've purchased many items from Adorama over the course of the last 8 months or so and have never had a bad experience. All items have been delivered on time and in perfect condition. Customer service has been great. I do not buy used equipment over the internet outside of Ebay so I cannot testify to their used equipment.

... lots of stuff I agreed with ...

BTW Helen, any chance you can finangle a "Pentaxian" discount for us forum members?
Amen. Adorama has done me right as well on every transaction since I started buying in March. In fact, I put in an order for a few items earlier this evening (my 10th I think?). I've had zero problems with any order from Adorama, though I have had problems with Amazon orders twice in that same time frame on fewer orders. Didn't make me happy to have issues, but Amazon made it right both times and still have my business.
I'm not comparing Adorama to Amazon here. What I'm getting at is every business no matter how big or little has a snafu on occasion. How that business handles a bad situation is what matters, and I have never felt uneasy buying from Adorama outside of the very first order I made and that uneasiness was completely due to the "NY Camera Shop" stigma.

And I really like that "Pentaxian" discount idea, btw. Or maybe just for us cool kids here at PentaxForums?

p.s. Helen, I was going to select you as my "sales rep" on my order tonight since you do take the time to stop by and be visible here, but didn't see your name on the rep drop-down list.

Last edited by Venturi; 08-11-2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: p.s.
08-12-2008, 03:24 AM   #21
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I've had two experiences buying used gear from Adorama.

I bought a Pentax 200/4 lens hood and a Pentax 28/2.8 lens hood in a case. Both were rated "E" I would consider them as C+, fully functional but well used (scratched and marked) and not "Excellent."

A year later, I bought a 85mm 2.0 SMCM lens, again rated "E." ("Josh" the salesman tried to talk me into an extended warranty on a lens that was built nearly 30 years ago...not sure how that was going to work.) The lens I got was maybe a "B minus-minus" the glass was clear, but the paint was well worn, the little white index bump was gone and the blades were very sluggish when stopped down by hand. I kept it since the lens "worked" and I didn't want to argue with Adorama about what constitutes "E" condition.

Lesson learned - Adorama is overly generous in their ratings for used gear. An "E" rating at Adorama is "Ugly" to "Bargain" condition at KEH. My advice to the original poster... find the same gear in "excellent" condition at KEH and buy it. It might cost a bit more, but will work, it will be right, and it will be what you expect from "Demo" quality equipment.

germar
I wondered if the following might be useful;

this is a link to see Adorama's rating system:

Grades

and here's a link for KEH rating system:

https://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/GradeDefinitions.aspx

The used department are usually very reliable when rating equipment, and every piece undergoes several checks - when it comes in, before it is listed, and again before it ships out. However, we would certainly have to acknowledge that occasionally human error will prevail (though it seems a bit rough that this seems to have hit you twice, in succession).

Please be assured that the used department are always willing to listen to concerns such as those you have expressed. Either contact them directly, or email me: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
08-12-2008, 03:29 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Amen. Adorama has done me right as well on every transaction since I started buying in March. In fact, I put in an order for a few items earlier this evening (my 10th I think?). I've had zero problems with any order from Adorama, though I have had problems with Amazon orders twice in that same time frame on fewer orders. Didn't make me happy to have issues, but Amazon made it right both times and still have my business.
I'm not comparing Adorama to Amazon here. What I'm getting at is every business no matter how big or little has a snafu on occasion. How that business handles a bad situation is what matters, and I have never felt uneasy buying from Adorama outside of the very first order I made and that uneasiness was completely due to the "NY Camera Shop" stigma.

And I really like that "Pentaxian" discount idea, btw. Or maybe just for us cool kids here at PentaxForums?

p.s. Helen, I was going to select you as my "sales rep" on my order tonight since you do take the time to stop by and be visible here, but didn't see your name on the rep drop-down list.

I'd love to be your sales rep! Unfortunately, I don't deal directly with sales, at all. I get the best job - chatting to you all, and sorting out problems as and where I can. (BTW if I need to find out something relating to sales on behalf of a customer, I usually ask Fred)

Helen Oster

08-12-2008, 05:06 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
(BTW if I need to find out something relating to sales on behalf of a customer, I usually ask Fred)
Ask him when the tamron 70-200 f2.8 will be in! I can't wait to see this lens in action!
08-12-2008, 05:23 AM   #24

Tamron70-200

QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
Ask him when the tamron 70-200 f2.8 will be in! I can't wait to see this lens in action!
AAaaah - if I had a $ for every time I get asked this - or for every time I ask the Adorama buyer......or for every time our buyer contacts Tamron...................I'm afraid, they just won't give us an ETA

Helen
08-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
I've purchased many items from Adorama over the course of the last 8 months or so and have never had a bad experience. All items have been delivered on time and in perfect condition. Customer service has been great.

The truth is, our mark up on Pentax is very low indeed so much as I would love to say yes, a discount can't be negotiated.
However, when you place your next order, please ask for Fred Wasser - he will look after you

Helen Oster
08-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
The truth is, our mark up on Pentax is very low indeed so much as I would love to say yes, a discount can't be negotiated.
However, when you place your next order, please ask for Fred Wasser - he will look after you

Helen Oster

Thanks for the tip Helen! Of course the discount request was made in good fun!

Thanks!