Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Needed: a video "downloader" for my guitar playing practice.

Hey folks !

I have a few older bands/tunes which I watch on YouTube in order to actually see how the original artist(s) played (on the guitar).
I thought it would be nice to have some of those videos downloaded for reference but I have tried (installed) a couple of software and they always have either a warning (not safe - infected according to my A.V. software) or just won't download a single video with, this time, a warning: "No video to download".

Is there such a "sure" (safe) software out there for that purpose?

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by jpzk; 02-14-2017 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added info
02-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Torch browser has this feature.
Torch Web Browser - Your All in One Internet Browser
02-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Internet Download Manager (IDM).

You'll be studying Eddie van Halen's 'Eruption' solo in no time.
02-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #4

Flash Video Downloader is what I use. Available as an add-on to Firefox, Chrome or an app for Android.

on the videos that it won't work or sites other than YouTube on KeepVid Downloader or VideoDownload Helper Firefox add-ons may work.

02-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What I always use and it always work.
1. use Firefox: Download Firefox
2. use VideoDownloadHelper addons for firefox: Download Video DownloadHelper

after install the addon on firefox, you should see the yellow, red, blue balls icon on the top right bar of FF browser. Open Youtube video page. Mouse-hover at the 3 balls icon and you should see lists of video you can download. Click on the video name you want to download and save it.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 02-14-2017 at 07:04 PM.
02-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
My A.V. has intercepted it as a potential "bug" !

---------- Post added 02-14-17 at 08:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I like Internet Download Manager (IDM).

You'll be studying Eddie van Halen's 'Eruption' solo in no time.
I had forgotten to say that I am looking for a "freeware", this one has a 30-day-trial only and @ $29.95 to keep it beyond that.

---------- Post added 02-14-17 at 08:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Flash Video Downloader is what I use. Available as an add-on to Firefox, Chrome or an app for Android.

on the videos that it won't work or sites other than YouTube on KeepVid Downloader or VideoDownload Helper Firefox add-ons may work.
Flash Video Downloader seems like a good one, however, I am getting this info:
"The download of YouTube videos to hard drive is locked because of restrictions of the Chrome Store." ... too bad because the videos I have browsed were all "YouTube". ex: Uriah Heep - Salisbury (just to give you a sense of what I am currently after, as an example).
02-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does it need to be software on your computer? I've used KeepVid before. You just give them a URL (from say, YouTube) and they convert it to a useful format, then you download it from them.
02-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Is there such a "sure" (safe) software out there for that purpose?
"The download of YouTube videos to hard drive is locked because of restrictions of the Chrome Store." .
My advice is to switch to Firefox. I've used Flash Video Downloader on Firefox for years without any problems, but Chrome seems to throw up roadblocks (Ad Block works differently on Chrome as well). Something to do with Chrome not really being free.

---------- Post added 02-14-17 at 08:08 PM ----------

Uriah Heep - Salisbury
Man, I haven't listened to the "Heep" in decades. Thanks for triggering some deeply embedded memories.

02-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had forgotten to say that I am looking for a "freeware", this one has a 30-day-trial only and @ $29.95 to keep it beyond that. [COLOR="Silver"]
It's often updated, Jpzk, I reckon you've spent $30 or more on less useful things.

All these products are hit and miss because of the different methods the content providers throw up to defeat downloaders and to reorganize how they cache in the back end, this one is pretty good.
02-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #10

Flash Video Downloader seems like a good one, however, I am getting this info:
"The download of YouTube videos to hard drive is locked because of restrictions of the Chrome Store." ... too bad because the videos I have browsed were all "YouTube". ex: Uriah Heep - Salisbury (just to give you a sense of what I am currently after, as an example).
That's a drag. I use Firefox, even though it is starting to suffer from software bloat there is less of this sort of nonsense.
02-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the 'clip converter' plug-in for Firefox. It adds a button just below the video window on YouTube and when clicked it opens a new window that allows you to select what format you want to save the files in. You can even save just the audio to play along to rather than having the entire video filling your hard drive.

I use it to capture audio tracks and videos for my guitar practice/lessons and it works well.
02-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I have solved the problem after removing the "old" YouTube Downloader and downloading the newer version and it worked !
I should have thought about this before posting a new thread but, as some of you probably know by now, I am no computer expert.

I also took the chance to try an online downloader: Online Video Downloader & MP3 Converter and this also works great: fast and no hassle... "simple - stupid" .... this has obviously been tailored for me!

Now, I have the live show video for Hotel California (guitar solo) and a couple of other oldies from the '60's ... looking good! I'm just missing a double-decker 6-12 string electric guitar ...

Many thanks for those who jumped in and offered help. This is much appreciated.

Cheers!
02-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Freemake video Downloader is good for youtube videos

Randy
02-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster