Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I turfed Windows in the early 90s and went with OS/2, the beautiful lovechild of MS and IBM. Used that until it died from poor marketing. No way I was going back to Windows so I picked up a copy of Turbolinux at the local store. Those were the days of boxed products. It wasn't much of a struggle for me since we had HP-UX workstations at work that were always messing up and the IT techs would talk us through a fix on the phone. Went through a myriad of distros but eventually I got tired of compiling it all myself and am now happy to be using Ubuntu.

02-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Fedora and CentOS, though I did use Ubuntu at one time.

Steve
02-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I do run Virtualbox just to test out random distros or do all kinds of testing on distros that I use often to see if I can break something.
Virtualization is fantastic. I don't know how I ever got along without it. It's so cheap and easy to spin up a dedicated VM for just about any purpose and they're literally disposable.
02-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #19
mee
Pentaxian

Interesting how many IT/Techies are on the forums.

03-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Fedora and CentOS, though I did use Ubuntu at one time.

Steve
I might be heading that way later this year by replacing my Debian server with a CentOS server. I've been playing with it on VirtualBox & have configured all kinds of things like SSH, Putty, shared folders with permissions, Webmin, & other junk. The SELinux can be kind of tricky at times, but I think I got the hang of it. THIS WEBSITE has been a very good resource for me as far as CentOS settings go. The June 30, 2024 EOL for version 7 is what amazes me. I won't have to worry about upgrading to the next version until a month or so before EOL. My guess is that CentOS 9 or 10 will be out by then with some crazy EOL dates too.

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Virtualization is fantastic. I don't know how I ever got along without it. It's so cheap and easy to spin up a dedicated VM for just about any purpose and they're literally disposable.
Indeed! I've lost count of how many VMs I've chucked since using it.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Interesting how many IT/Techies are on the forums.
I did some IT work a few years ago for a small company that I worked for. The company was kind of unique on how it worked. The owner did IT, but also dabbled in construction, remodeling, & consulting. That's how I got in there, since I'm a civil/structural engineer & also knew computers fairly well. The IT part came along when we didn't have any engineering projects going on, which seemed to be most of the time. The other IT guys showed me a lot of stuff including Oracle database & related. I didn't major in computer stuff, but I can get around a machine & network pretty well. However, with mobile phones & tablets taking over, it has changed a lot & I'm now behind on that IT end of it, as far as optimizing websites for mobile & related stuff. It's like a never ending challenge to be in the IT world.
03-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The June 30, 2024 EOL for version 7 is what amazes me. I won't have to worry about upgrading to the next version until a month or so before EOL. My guess is that CentOS 9 or 10 will be out by then with some crazy EOL dates too.
I guess that's one benefit of the upstream project (RHEL) being paid and having the resources to maintain it for so long.
03-04-2017, 09:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I thought I'd try installing Linux Mint but I still have this problem of BIOS. It seems when one upgrades from Win 7 Pro X64 to Win 10, the HDD is formatted for MBR, not GPT, as a result, Linux will not install because the Mint installer boots in UEFI mode. While one can proceed, one is warned that the PC may not boot up again into Windows.

It further appears that one cannot change the disk format from MBR to GPT without doing a clean Win 10 install. As you can imagine, that's not going to happen!

However, I found on the 'net, that AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional claims it can convert a disk from MBR to GPT without loss of data. Has anyone had any experience with AOMEI or their software?
03-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Is there a way to get to a boot menu when the PC first starts? On my PC, I just hit F2. Then a small screen pops out & I can select to run UEFI or standard installation. I have my UEFI/BIOS set to legacy & other OS installation. It's far more trickier trying to do an UEFI isntallation.

I basically did that change when I first bought the PC. This is what I did when I first I got home with it:
  1. I plugged it in
  2. turned it on
  3. booted to Windows
  4. checked the device manager for the hardware that the PC had
  5. got the Windows drivers from the ASUS website
  6. got the awful Windows 8 installation media at the time
  7. restarted the PC
  8. went to UEFI
  9. turned off fast boot
  10. changed the system to OS other
  11. restarted pc
  12. went to boot menu & picked non-UEFI USB drive for Windows isntallation
  13. installed Windows 10
  14. went to device manager/disc management & made an 100 gb partition & a 8 gb partition
  15. got the installation for Fedora
  16. rebooted
  17. went to boot menu & picked non-UEFI USB drive for Fedora installation
  18. installed Fedora as 100 gb ext4 & 8 gb swap
  19. rebooted
  20. went into Fedora
  21. changed default grub boot to Windows 8
  22. voila!
I had to redo all this when I got a new SSD drive & Windows 10. All that except for the UEFI other OS & fastboot part that had already been done.

03-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Installation & Boot - Linux Mint Forums I am sure someone will help there if you get stuck,

[TUTORIAL] Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1/10 Computer - Linux Mint Forums
03-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I used Ubuntu for a while but for the past couple of years, I haven't used any Linux at all. Since I developed a liking to Lightroom and photo editing and web browsing being my primary computing activities, I just haven't used Ubuntu in a long time. The case I was using for my Ubuntu tower has been scavenged for parts. I've since switched from Windows 7 to Mac.
03-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
It further appears that one cannot change the disc format from MBR to GPT without doing a clean Win 10 install. As you can imagine, that's not going to happen!

However, I found on the 'net, that AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional claims it can convert a disc from MBR to GPT without loss of data. Has anyone had any experience with AOMEI or their software?
I did an image backup then tried AOMEI. It seemed to convert the disc to GPT. Win 10 continues to boot up, Linux Mint and Ubuntu are happy to continue their install - before it all falls flat because they think I have too many primary partitions. There are two that Win 10 created.

GParted reports
/dev/sda1 ntfs 931.41GiB Used 330.26GiB unused 610.15GiB Flags msftdata
/dev/sda2 fat32 107.97MiB used 12.90 MiB unused 89.08 MiB flags boot, esp

I'm typing this from Ubuntu that's running from the install disc.

Gahhhhh! I never have these issues installing Windows products.
03-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
BeOS was my favorite way to get a BASH shell. FreeBSD was my favorite *nix to use, and still is I guess, as I'm still using OSX today. Linux and the thousands of distro's didn't seem worth the hassle. I did mess with Gentoo when that was a real thing but I think it's long dead. Mint is supposed to be nice.

Windows has become so much more reliable, in my experience, that I not longer want to try something else. The only real holdup is the cost but I can buy a copy every few years if I need to.
03-05-2017, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I did an image backup then tried AOMEI. It seemed to convert the disc to GPT. Win 10 continues to boot up, Linux Mint and Ubuntu are happy to continue their install - before it all falls flat because they think I have too many primary partitions. There are two that Win 10 created.

GParted reports
/dev/sda1 ntfs 931.41GiB Used 330.26GiB unused 610.15GiB Flags msftdata
/dev/sda2 fat32 107.97MiB used 12.90 MiB unused 89.08 MiB flags boot, esp

I'm typing this from Ubuntu that's running from the install disc.

Gahhhhh! I never have these issues installing Windows products.
I had this problem when I upgraded to Win10 also (not even involving Linux at all).

My Win7 installation was using MBR because my computer had been a BIOS system before I upgraded it with a newer UEFI motherboard. Win7 continued to work fine on the new system but when I upgraded to Win10 it was a bit unstable and complained about a missing partition. I bit the bullet, in the name of security and modernity, and reformatted my disk as GPT. Installed Win10 from scratch and everything's been perfect since.

I know it's not what you want to hear but the modern way might be the way to go.
03-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
we all have different experiences, I have not had these issues installing Linux products
03-09-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just breathed some more life into the slightly old but still very usable 32bit file server that we have at the office. It was running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, but had some other junk like Drupal, Wordpress, Apache, PHP, a minimal Gnome GUI, & other experimental junk that we never really used on it. All that wasted a lot of space & made updating it a chore at times 'cause of the required updates & reboots.

I installed & configured CentOS 7 32bit netinstall minimal server on a pair of RAID 1 drives & now it's good until the year 2024. Outside of Webmin & SSH, we're not going to run anything else on it. It's strictly a command line file server. Got way more space now. I'll just rsync our directory that has all our files in it to an external hard drive once a week & yum update once a month. Life is wonderful when things get simpler.

Aaaaawwwwww yeeeaaaaahhh!