Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I can imagine root canal treatment would be preferable to that.
Telstra tend to be more attentive to their enterprise & govt customers than to smaller clients. They certainly were super best friends with us when we would put an RFI or tender out.

03-21-2017, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taking
Every
Little
Step
To
Rip off
Australians
03-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It wasn't the plan that bothered me so much as the Rudd government's repeatedly-demonstrated inability to manage any project competently or within cost. Fibre to the node was IMO the correct solution, with Government handling the long-haul connections out to the sticks and private enterprise picking up from there & possibly paying government a tithe of some sort to rent bandwidth on the main lines, but ON PRINCIPLE I think a government which admits its desire to filter and monitor content as aggressively as Rudd's did should not be trusted to build the infrastructure.
Speaking in general, the big problem for governments who want to do something real, is that they mostly no longer have any in-house expertise to provide them with objective advice on dealing with such matters. Consultants (and I am one) have their own axe to grind and want repeat business, so they'll generally tell the Minister or whoever what they want to hear, and if they don't, they get ignored. The phenomenon is well-known and often exploited by unscrupulous players, and bears a name that describes it perfectly: Uninformed Client.

Filtering content, or the stated intent to do so, by the way, started a long time before the NBN.
03-21-2017, 10:52 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Filtering content, or the stated intent to do so, by the way, started a long time before the NBN.
The Great firewall of China springs to mind.

03-22-2017, 01:26 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Whatever you do, don't choose NBN satellite ... The NBN SkyMuster service (in my experience of about 6 months) is just totally awful. The NBN/Ericsson engineers should hang their heads in shame. I kept a diary of downtime, and every day I could count on something bad happening, usually in the middle of an online banking session or YouTube video. Any rain in the area, or a lightning storm within 100km of my home, (or near the region of the sat receiving station - eg Kalgoorlie) meant total drop out, in my experience sometimes for hours - or even a whole day recently. So I switched back to Telstra Mobile data. Signal strength isn't ideal, but 4G works, and it is such a relief to have stable Internet again!
OH BUGGA !.....was about to join skymuster....but I have the choice of a month/12 months/24 months....with setup costs reducing as the term lengthens.
03-22-2017, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This has already gone political but lets see if we an keep it on topic from now on? I hate shutting down threads.
03-22-2017, 03:11 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hang on Mark (please).
The decision which rollout of the NBN was political (FTTP or FTTN).
The implementation/stuff ups are more industrial/commercial.
Clearly the NBN Co clearly couldn't run a two hole toilet. That is where our gripes (generally) are.
03-22-2017, 03:45 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup, I realise that. What I'm trying to avoid are more specific Rudd / government / political type comments. By all means, feel free to discuss how useless telcos are. That seems to be universal.

03-22-2017, 04:27 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Sorry for my comment...

As far as Satellite goes, research the ISPs ....bang for buck might be false economy.
03-22-2017, 04:42 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yup, I realise that. What I'm trying to avoid are more specific Rudd / government / political type comments. By all means, feel free to discuss how useless telcos are. That seems to be universal.
I often wonder what "political" means in this context. I've always assumed it actually meant "partisan", so I try to stick to abstract non-partisan comments in these threads, where it's hard to avoid discussing matters of public interest that involve government.
03-22-2017, 04:45 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I often wonder what "political" means in this context. I've always assumed it actually meant "partisan", so I try to stick to abstract non-partisan comments in these threads, where it's hard to avoid discussing matters of public interest that involve government.
The rules say "Political and religious discussion/commentary" which appears to be a pretty broad brush.
03-22-2017, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

would it make you feel better to know that almost all service providers have the same issues?

as far as delivery medium goes fiber to the house has the least defects as long as the infrastructure is secure and the power grid is stable
the downside is, because of cost, redundancy is not always built in
so failures are catastrophic when they occur

the copper network is being allowed to wither because it is "too expensive to maintain"
that said adsl (here anyway) rides a conditioned two-wire circuit
so as copper goes it is as good as it gets

satellite is subject to the vagaries of the atmosphere

tethering cell phones actually works very well but most of our carriers try to ban it accept as a premium service

locally the most reliable residential high speed data is fttn and coax from there to the house

when our commercial providers had active oversight service was more consistent
deregulation turned it into the wild west even including the highwaymen

the only thing I know for sure is no subscriber is ever satisfied with the level of service they get
often with good reason
03-22-2017, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
long as the infrastructure is secure and the power grid is stable
Well us south aussies are out of luck in that regard.
03-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Well us south aussies are out of luck in that regard.
And that is impossible to discuss without getting political. All I will say is that back in the day when the big building at the corner of Greenhill and Fullarton Roads was the ETSA building (Electricity Trust of South Australia), it would have been hard to contemplate the survival in power of any state government that did not guarantee reliable, stable 24/7 power that was independent of wind or sun. The repercussions at the ballot box would have been... interesting, to be sure!
03-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
would it make you feel better to know that almost all service providers have the same issues?

as far as delivery medium goes fiber to the house has the least defects as long as the infrastructure is secure and the power grid is stable
the downside is, because of cost, redundancy is not always built in
so failures are catastrophic when they occur

the copper network is being allowed to wither because it is "too expensive to maintain"
that said adsl (here anyway) rides a conditioned two-wire circuit
so as copper goes it is as good as it gets

satellite is subject to the vagaries of the atmosphere

tethering cell phones actually works very well but most of our carriers try to ban it accept as a premium service

locally the most reliable residential high speed data is fttn and coax from there to the house

when our commercial providers had active oversight service was more consistent
deregulation turned it into the wild west even including the highwaymen

the only thing I know for sure is no subscriber is ever satisfied with the level of service they get
often with good reason
I'm not sure I understand all that's being put here. Redundancy usually means having a parallel system to take over in the event of failure of the main system. Reliability arises from a number of measures, including but not restricted to redundancy. Dual feeds, ring-mains and backup generation or storage are the usual redundancy measures for power supplies. Dual feeds are of limited help unless they are physically separated. Our members here who have a knowledge of terrestrial communications should be able to tell us what has pertained in Australia, and what is provided with the implementation of the NBN.

The most fundamental measure is the provision of an alternative means of supplying energy to the system. The former copper network was powered by a battery-backed DC supply, so that telephone lines kept working for a while if the local AC power grid went down. I assume the NBN fibre-optic system is also provided with backup to maintain it in the event of a power grid outage, but again I rely on those in the industry to confirm that. Consumers with FTTP are further offered the choice of including a battery backup at the premises, at additional cost, to power the optical-copper converter needed to connect voice and data devices to the system. (I have a spare UPS to provide the same facility, so I didn't opt for that offer.) I have no idea what is provided for those who have FTTN.

PS: a two-wire electrical system is only useful for redundancy if there is a separate return circuit. In power systems, this is sometimes done using an earth return. Is that what you mean by a "conditioned" two-wire system?