Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
as far as i know optus is owned by singapore gov.
No, Singapore Telecom (Singtel). Singtel was once owned by the Singapore Govt. When I was working in OTC in restoration planning and later in submarine cable protection, I had a lot of contact with Singtel and their predecessor, TAS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singtel

03-21-2017, 04:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

It wasn't the plan that bothered me so much as the Rudd government's repeatedly-demonstrated inability to manage any project competently or within cost. Fibre to the node was IMO the correct solution, with Government handling the long-haul connections out to the sticks and private enterprise picking up from there & possibly paying government a tithe of some sort to rent bandwidth on the main lines, but ON PRINCIPLE I think a government which admits its desire to filter and monitor content as aggressively as Rudd's did should not be trusted to build the infrastructure.
03-21-2017, 04:41 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Singtel is also the largest company by market capitalisation listed on the Singapore Exchange and is majority owned by Temasek Holdings, the investment arm of the Singapore government.
03-21-2017, 04:51 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the subject of the NBN rollout;

I have a node just at the end of my street. _it has been there looking pretty since before September. (2016).
NBN Co's website shows my address as having NBN available, but "further work still has to be done before you can connect - contact your ISP for further details"
An enquiry of NBNCo resulted in a non committal answer as to what work and what timeframe. My ISP knows no more than me - which I guessed right off.
A further enquiry to NBN Co in November received no reply.
A bit over a month ago I found 6 or 7 vehicles (some with NBN Co logos) and the same number of people having a little conference at the node.
Time for walk with the dog, I thought.!!
Yep this work (whatever it was) meant I would get a letter in the mail in a day or two: THE DOG MUST HAVE EATEN THE LETTER!!
Still nothing but:.

The nbn™ network is available in your area.

Additional work is still required in order to make your address ready to connect to the nbn™ network.

Contact your preferred phone or internet provider for more information.

03-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Whatever you do, don't choose NBN satellite ...

The NBN SkyMuster service (in my experience of about 6 months) is just totally awful. The NBN/Ericsson engineers should hang their heads in shame. I kept a diary of downtime, and every day I could count on something bad happening, usually in the middle of an online banking session or YouTube video. Any rain in the area, or a lightning storm within 100km of my home, (or near the region of the sat receiving station - eg Kalgoorlie) meant total drop out, in my experience sometimes for hours - or even a whole day recently.

So I switched back to Telstra Mobile data. Signal strength isn't ideal, but 4G works, and it is such a relief to have stable Internet again!
03-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Can I ask for some info from the Aussie experts here?
A friend in a retirement village in Albury presently has a cell phone and an Ipad, both with Telstra accounts.
As I understand it, the Ipad internet is via the cell phone system, and it works well, and the monthly fee is not expensive.

The retirement village says that she will have to change to internet access via NBN soon,
because they are cabling the village for it now. and open an account for that.

I am wondering why she can't continue to use the Telsta access.
Also will that village have wireless access points or does it need a router in each residence?

Thanks for any info on this.
03-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Can I ask for some info from the Aussie experts here?
A friend in a retirement village in Albury presently has a cell phone and an Ipad, both with Telstra accounts.
As I understand it, the Ipad internet is via the cell phone system, and it works well, and the monthly fee is not expensive.

The retirement village says that she will have to change to internet access via NBN soon,
because they are cabling the village for it now. and open an account for that.

I am wondering why she can't continue to use the Telsta access.
Also will that village have wireless access points or does it need a router in each residence?

Thanks for any info on this.
Assuming Telstra is maintaining their mobile network in Albury, there's no reason other than cost to consider switching to the NBN. My mother is in a retirement home in Hobart and uses the facility's WiFi system to access the Internet on her iPad, simply because it's cheaper for her than continuing to use the iPad's mobile SIM card. Needless to say the facility's WiFi runs off the NBN.

03-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Needless to say the facility's WiFi runs off the NBN.
Thanks Rob,
Does the retirement home provide that free of charge or do the residents have to have accounts?
03-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Thanks Rob,
Does the retirement home provide that free of charge or do the residents have to have accounts?
There's a once-off setup fee, and that's all. Mind you, it is a not-for-profit organisation, so they're not looking to squeeze the CEO's golf fees out of the clients.
03-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Lads, NBN does not equal Telstra.
I know, but I have had more contact* with Telstra over my connection than my ISP.

*more contact than I wanted, really.
03-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Singtel is also the largest company by market capitalisation listed on the Singapore Exchange and is majority owned by Temasek Holdings, the investment arm of the Singapore government.
Gaahhh! I'd forgotten about Temasek! I'm getting old!
03-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I know, but I have had more contact* with Telstra over my connection than my ISP.

*more contact than I wanted, really.
I have to deal with them in my job at an enterprise level. I roll my eyes when Sydney say they can't handle it, they're putting me through to ... well, I'll just say an overseas call centre.
03-21-2017, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to deal with them in my job at an enterprise level.
I can imagine root canal treatment would be preferable to that.

I'll just say an overseas call centre.
Yes, I have had that experience myself.
03-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

AGAIN
Telstra
Sydney
CHANGE SERVER
Telstra

NaN stars
PING
24 ms
DOWNLOAD
9.76 Mbps
UPLOAD
0.92 Mbps
SHARE THIS RESULT

Whoa don't know what happened but finally got a half decent connection on ADSL2 after months of running under 2.0 Mbps and hours on the blower complaining. will see what happens this evening when all the gremlins are home from school.
03-21-2017, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

After having been with OTC for most of my working life, it was an embarrassment to have to tell people, after the merger, that I worked for Telstra.