Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the more things change... '85 Modern Photo

Some amusing bits from the July 1985 issue of Modern Photography. Much of it could be written, in curmudgeony spirit, today.

From the Letters:

In the April 1985 "SLR Notebook" (page 100) you pose the question, "Are We Going Too Far Overboard For Newfangled SLRs?" The answer is probably yes; but only regarding emphasis. No one will argue against advances in techonology. The point seems to be that the "average advanced amateur" is being persuaded that only a fully-programmed, multiple-priority autofocuser with built in winder is worth hanging around his neck. Those of us who have been taking pictures for more than half a century will testify that none of this is a necessity. As any Cadillac owner knows, the more gadgetry you add to a device, the more there is to break down.

I grew up on so called "blind" cameras and learned to judge distance with considerable accuracy. I also got pretty good at guessing exposure. (After all, no matter how many spots our modern camera may meter, there is still only a single f/stop and one single shutter speed that go into action when you push the button.)

When the Weston light meter came along we thought the photographic age had reached its apogee. If you want to be super selective, you can still carry around a cheap selenium meter.

The two great advantages of today's lightweight SLRs consist of an incredible variety of interchangeable lenses, and an absence of parallax. Everything else is frosting on the cake. - Kenneth R. Morgan, Southport, CT

There's more but I'll scan the pages instead of typing them out

08-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Haha, absolutely true even 23 years later
08-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

the problem is innovation

if we sit down and bury ourselves in the current technology, K20D's will be sold for 100 bucks a pop within the next 2 years

but R&D costs drive marketing costs, which drives the product price up.

in order to develop new technology you need the money

to get the money you ahve to advertise

when you advertise you will always get the people who resist change, and they will moan bitch and complain till they are blue in the face and shitting bricks.

but you cant stop the market

the market is immortal

all you can do is avoid it and stick to your spotmatics
08-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #4

You can't argue that some of the best images ever created were made with MF film cameras.

Henri Cartier-Bresson captured the most subtle expressions spontaneously with completely manual film cameras.

That all said I'm not going to rely on a MF film camera to capture a wedding HCB never had to get a shot.

Different tools for different jobs.

08-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the problem is innovation

if we sit down and bury ourselves in the current technology, K20D's will be sold for 100 bucks a pop within the next 2 years

but R&D costs drive marketing costs, which drives the product price up.

in order to develop new technology you need the money

to get the money you ahve to advertise

when you advertise you will always get the people who resist change, and they will moan bitch and complain till they are blue in the face and shitting bricks.

but you cant stop the market

the market is immortal

all you can do is avoid it and stick to your spotmatics
I love this post.

c[_]
08-09-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some pages that might be interesting from the July 1985 Modern Photography magazine. I've posted them fairly large - 1024 long, for which I apologize, but I figure for readability... I give links to a much larger image as well, for those of us with aging eyes

Cambridge Camera had mount adaptors, Keppler wrote:

Cambridge adaptors 85 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In the Too Hot To Handle section, someone asked about the BS the Zeiss rep had spouted at a camera show. Another worried about the use of plastics in making cameras. A third wondered whether to get a Yashica Mat 124G or a Rolleiflex. And a question about what PRECICELY they said about the Contax. Finally, why isn't Modern a picture book?

Too Hot 85 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Tokina shows imagination: Fire hydrant pees on dog! ATX glass.

Tokina 85 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

SIGMA shows yard: a 50-200 not long enough? How bout a 100-500? No, longer? Well then: 350-1200 f/11 APO!

SIGMA 85 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
08-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #7
Banned

that Tokina add is great.
08-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i have one of those early model ATX lenses, its shit, hahahahahahaha

08-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
Banned

...still a great ad.
08-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I remember that Tokina ad. Takes me back!
08-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
...still a great ad.
the add is great, but going back to the title of this post "the more things change..."

23 years ago they still use the same marketing words

same promises of superior quality

perhaps at the time they were good, but looking at it from todays point of view.. soemthing is always better behind the corner.
08-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
Igilligan

Gooshin

Hey Gooshin... I will send you the money for shipping and you can ship that old ATX lens to me.... I could use some more shit in my bag...

It is a good ad....