Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wildlife photographer simulation game

A stunning wildlife photographer simulation game seems to be ready to launch soon, Sony's Afrika:

QuoteQuote:
That's right. Afrika has not just collectible camera types, but collectible camera accessories as well. The version of the game on display had two cameras available, a Sony Alpha and an older camera, each with one selectable lens. The game's shooting interface and the resulting picture quality change depending on your current equipment.

Upon trying to take pictures of the few animals that we encountered, we discovered that the virtual creatures of Afrika, much like their real life counterparts, don't like being disturbed. Run up to a pack of animals, and they'll disperse. The only way to get some good pictures using just a standard camera is to sneak up on your targets, zoom in all the way, wait for the perfect moment, and snap away.

These rules apply for driving as well. If you approach a pack of animals at full speed, they'll disperse. Animals are best approached on foot.
[source: IGN: Afrika Preview]

Will be interesting to see how real and virtual will compare once the game is out

05-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Title now coming to US

The title will be announed at E3 to come to US too.

Is seems to be a pretty cool thing. Maybe a good preparation to a photo trip to Africa?

You may enjoy the following video. Watch the AF selection point confirmations
IGN Video: Afrika PlayStation 3 Gameplay - Face to Face
05-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

reminds me of a game i used to have called "ultimate game hunting".
It was designed to be realistic, so, you would walk through a forest for about 2 or 3 hours, see one deer and if you shot it too close to the head you would lose points because it couldnt be mounted on the wall.
Ahhh bargain bins, when will i learn.
05-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
It was designed to be realistic, so, you would walk through a forest for about 2 or 3 hours, see one deer and if you shot it too close to the head you would lose points because it couldnt be mounted on the wall.
That's hilarious... I was just wondering if there will be a "red state" version for the US market where you get a rifle rather than a camera.

05-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just checking out this "afrika" game. A video where the user takes about 10 photos of a cheetah in chase... at shutter speeds between 1/10 and 1/30!
If you did that in the real world you would NEVER forgive yourself. (apart from that one shoot thats blurred in just the right way so the cheetahs head or something is sharp and its all arty and special and it goes on to win some national geographic award...)
05-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Jeez, all that purported realism...and they're implying that people are using Sony Alpha's for wildlife photography?

I will play if there's a bonus level where you get to chase Diana down the tunnel.

Or Mark Latham outside Maccas (the most dangerous prey of all!)
05-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K-7 or PS3....? is that a question?!

05-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
I remember playing "Marine Sniper" or whatever. Crawl one foot...stop. Crawl another foot. Stop. Another foot. Stop.

Then realise that, for some reason, the seventeen-year-old Generic-Brown-Foreign-Guy (a staple of military shooters) with the rusted AK-47 is more accurate and can more accurately hit targets from 500m than your Marine with a $5000 rifle.
05-29-2009, 03:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I remember playing "Marine Sniper" or whatever. Crawl one foot...stop. Crawl another foot. Stop. Another foot. Stop.

Then realise that, for some reason, the seventeen-year-old Generic-Brown-Foreign-Guy (a staple of military shooters) with the rusted AK-47 is more accurate and can more accurately hit targets from 500m than your Marine with a $5000 rifle.
thats realism for ya!
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's the "older" camera? A two year old DSLR?

Chris
05-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
the programers at rhino studios hit that at some point sony is putting a firmware update for any sony dslr that will make it possable to hook up your sony camera to game box or pc . in the menu on the camera there will be a oppsion to go into game mode. then when the game starts you look in your camera and you see what you would really see .if the setting are wrong the picture you take will turn out wrong .the game will have its own picture adjusting program so you can adjust raw pictures if your in that mode .the game mode is already in the newer sonys. just kidding about all the above but wouldn't that be cool.