Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2017, 05:25 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some sketches from old Victorian gold mining towns

By request (from pjv) following his "Kyneton - lost trades" thread.

I do a bit of pen-and-wash sketching. Many years ago (1979) I did enough to stage an exhibition at the Wiregrass Gallery in Eltham (that's in Melbourne, for those not familiar with the area). It was a joint show with Colin Handley who was an established landscape painter. My half of the exhibition sold out on the opening day - probably because I was cheap! I must say, being there, at an exhibition of my work was an incredible high. There is just no feeling like it. But on with the story.

My work has always focused on the places where ordinary people lived, worked and played (or drank).

The only Kyneton sketch I still have a image of was the Royal George Hotel (below) which was used on my half of the catalogue for the show.

The next one is Mostyn Street, Castlemaine. I still have this one - or rather my wife does. It was part of the exhibition but she requested I do another copy for her.

The next two are photos that I took of two sketches (very inexpertly, but I didn't have much of a clue back then). I would have used my trusty MX and M50/1.7 though. The first is the butcher's shop in Chewton. This was once owned by my great great aunt and her husband (back in about the 1860s I think). The second is a little miner's cottage in Castlemaine.

The last one is a bit further afield - Beechworth. This was not part of the show. I did it later and I still have it because I was not showing by then.

So that's me without the camera. I still do the occasional sketch, but I mostly give them away to friends. I enjoy this work (when I can get it right) because although I work from photographs, I can convey something in a sketch that I find hard to get in the photograph itself. That said, it has to be an image I have taken myself or I just can't get the "feel" for it. The urge to get together enough to chase another exhibition is still there (yeah - 40 years later!) . Maybe....

03-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent work.

I photograph because I cannot sketch of paint.
03-18-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Some sketches from old Victorian gold mining towns
Wonderful images Peter. Many thanks for following through with my request of showing your sketches. You have a talent ( gift !! ) there that I wish I had. You have done these lovely old buildings justice with your " work." Very impressive mate.
03-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I photograph because I cannot sketch
Thanks for looking. Whether we photograph or sketch, it is interesting that we are looking for a certain "something" that we want to capture in a scene.

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Many thanks for following through with my request of showing your sketches
Thanks Peter. I might start again if I can manage to retire.