Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,865
PayPal wants my Social Security Number.....

PayPal a few days ago expressed regret that I'd cancelled my account. I hadn't.

After that email PayPal told me that my account had been "limited" due to supposed access from a user in Hong Kong. The email had several grammatical and spelling errors.

A link is furnished to fix things, it wants to confirm my SSN. I don't recall furnishing my SSN when I opened the account, I'm wary about furnishing it now. I've used PayPal for a number of purchases, but only one sale, for the amount of $10.00.

Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing from PayPal? Any suggestions?

03-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian
johnyates's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,252
That email was not from PayPal. See: Phishing - Wikipedia
03-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,342
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing from PayPal? Any suggestions?
Yes, many times. A well-known phishing scam - the email is not from paypal.
03-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 9,198
In a word, NO! Do not give out your SS # to a request like this!

I'd suggest forwarding all the e-mails to the real PayPal, NOT to the address on the e-mails! Nothing but a scam.

03-19-2017, 01:34 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 10,478
I don't even click on e-mail links from genuine PayPal messages... I always log into PayPal independently to see if any notifications are reflected in my account status. I recommend you, and anyone else reading this, do the same.
03-19-2017, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian
timb64's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,701
Apparently my Bank has outsourced my account to Nigeria and there is a big bonus waiting for me if I confirm my security details?!
03-19-2017, 02:04 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,865
Original Poster
Many thanks for the replies! They pretty much confirm my suspicions. But that bank in Nigeria...sounds like a sweet deal!
03-19-2017, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian
AussieTrev's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,542
Had a phone call last year that I had a car crash in Newcastle NSW. When pushed it was said it was in Hunter St. Thought of those words some older Australians would recall, "Never let a chance go by oh lord." Hence I hung up.

03-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 9,427
Well that seems totally legit. Using peoples uncertainties against them, a Classic Phishing tactic.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I always log into PayPal independently to see if any notifications are reflected in my account status.
^This.
03-19-2017, 04:40 PM - 5 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,606
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Apparently my Bank has outsourced my account to Nigeria and there is a big bonus waiting for me if I confirm my security details?!
I've sent $3000 to that Nigerian prince and he still hasn't parked the $5 million in my account as promised.

I'm getting irritated - about to send another $1000 to hurry him up.
03-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the pimple of bum of life
Posts: 222
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Apparently my Bank has outsourced my account to Nigeria and there is a big bonus waiting for me if I confirm my security details?!
Well then what are you wating for ? Go for it

---------- Post added 03-20-17 at 12:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've sent $3000 to that Nigerian prince and he still hasn't parked the $5 million in my account as promised.

I'm getting irritated - about to send another $1000 to hurry him up.
Hey your not trying to move on my Nigerian prince are you?

---------- Post added 03-20-17 at 12:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Many thanks for the replies! They pretty much confirm my suspicions. But that bank in Nigeria...sounds like a sweet deal!
Whilst your making up your mind I have a Bridge for sale that you might be able to invest in its only the Sydney Harbor Bridge makes good money every day trust me
03-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,409
The range and targetting finesse of phishers is impressive nowadays.

Just a few years ago, they pretty much ignored Australian banks and big businesses as their targets. But today I get phishing emails everyday from people pretending to be from practically every local bank big and small, the tax office, Woolworths, etc, as well as of course pretending to be PayPal, Amazon, or eBay. Relentless.
03-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,606
QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
]

Hey your not trying to move on my Nigerian prince are you?
Ah, that's why I haven't heard from him. He's got cold feet because of interest from you.

Sending him *$2000* now just to remind him of my business acumen!



03-19-2017, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: At the pimple of bum of life
Posts: 222
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Ah, that's why I haven't heard from him. He's got cold feet because of interest from you.

Sending him *$2000* now just to remind him of my business acumen!
Yes he is going to deposit the money in my account as soon as the check clears & he giving me your % as well I put it to good use
03-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 422
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
PayPal a few days ago expressed regret that I'd cancelled my account. I hadn't.

After that email PayPal told me that my account had been "limited" due to supposed access from a user in Hong Kong. The email had several grammatical and spelling errors.

A link is furnished to fix things, it wants to confirm my SSN. I don't recall furnishing my SSN when I opened the account, I'm wary about furnishing it now. I've used PayPal for a number of purchases, but only one sale, for the amount of $10.00.

Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing from PayPal? Any suggestions?
Obviously a scam. Paypal NEVER asks you for personal information like that.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
account, bank, bridge, email, nigerian, paypal, pm, post, prince, ticket
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question I no longer use PayPal......I no longer accept PayPal.....Can I still sell on PF ?? Dlanor Sekao Site Suggestions and Help 8 04-07-2016 07:38 PM
Fox Attacks People For Collecting The Social Security And Medicare Benefits They Paid jogiba General Talk 0 09-06-2012 02:31 PM
The real problem with Social Security, in simple language skyredoubt General Talk 2 12-07-2010 06:07 PM
Peter Orszag supports Social Security reform mikemike General Talk 33 11-17-2010 01:09 PM
Is Social Security a Pension or Transfer Payment System? mikemike General Talk 34 11-10-2010 02:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top