Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've worked in a number of non-union shops albeit years ago. In my experience, it takes pretty extreme conditions to get people to commit part of their income to a union. After all, they do cost money, unions do. My daughter works for a non-union steel plant. They have always made sure, they paid competitive wages, slightly ahead of the curve, offered competitive benefits,slighly ahead of the curve and have never had anyone try and set up a union there. Some companies just understand, it's cheaper to treat your employees right than it is to deal with a union. B&H clearly don't get it.

But, that being said, sometimes it honestly is a case of there just is no more money to be had. The employer is struggling to stay afloat, and he just can't do any more for his/her employees. In which case he should be telling his/her employees to be looking for other jobs anyway. A company that close to the line should not be seen as a long term employment solution.

Either way, B&H employees who can do so should be looking for other jobs. For me, when I see these kinds of things, it's either a boss who wants to take way more money out of the company than he's worth, or a a failing company way too close to insolvency. In either case, you're going to need another job, soon.

A neighbour used to work for Walmart. Her problem with them wasn't really anything about working conditions per se, but the part of the working conditions governed by the complete lack of respect her managers had for their employees. The employees in her were willing to devote part of theiir income to pay a thug to come in and say "back of creep" when management got ugly. People won't do that unless they feel bullied.

Last edited by normhead; 03-27-2017 at 07:06 AM.
03-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe the owners have already moved to the suburbs, and want to move
the operation for their own convenience, their employees notwithstanding.

The co-owner of Nassau Camera, the mom & pop (literally) camera store
I used in my early years in photography told me he preferred mail order;
he kept the retail store only as a service to his longtime local customers.

B&H may feel similarly; their loyalty to the local trade remains to be seen.

Chris
03-27-2017, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #18
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Really? It looks like there's plenty of space available at the former Brooklyn Navy Yard:
http://brooklynnavyyard.org/leasing/available-spaces/
Or how about the former Brooklyn Army Terminal:
https://www.bklynarmyterminal.com/leasing-opportunities/available-space/
I'm no expert on Brooklyn commercial real estate but Google helped me find these in less than 30 seconds...
Chris
The space we're moving to in NJ is 500,000 square feet. The spaces listed above would barely function as linen closets in a house that size.

---------- Post added 03-27-17 at 03:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Moving hundreds of jobs away from New York City is a betrayal to working families, New Yorkers, and the workers who courageously fought to be treated with respect and dignity. And that ain't right!
You're buying media hype designed to accuse us without any proof or evidence. Our lease in Brooklyn is expiring and we do not have the option to renew. That space has been too small for a couple of years now, so even if we could renew we'd be inclined to look elsewhere. The space we're moving to is 500,000 square feet.

This has nothing to do with taxes.

In 2013, Crain's said we'd already been looking for larger quarters for several years. The union vote was Nov 2015. If we started looking for new space a couple of years before the 2013 article it should be apparent these plans were in place before the union ever raised it's head.

After exhausting our search options in NY, including assistance from Jones Lang LaSalle and the NYS ESDC, we turned our sites further afield. It was not optional.

The owners have NOT moved to the suburbs and have no plans to do so of which I am aware.

BTW I've got nothing against unions, per se, and understand historically how they've benefited workers, particularly in NY & Detroit, but then there's this.

---------- Post added 03-27-17 at 03:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Yes, but at what price, and for mail order, you still have to get product in and out of the area. Easy to do in Florence, NJ (south of Trenton) near two major interstates, not easy to do in Brooklyn.

It is a sign of the times. I don't think Amazon has a warehouse there, nor many other dot come commerce companies (selling stuff).
Amazon opening warehouse in Florence; will hire 500

Last edited by henryp; 03-27-2017 at 12:04 PM.
03-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
It is a sign of the times. I don't think Amazon has a warehouse there, nor many other dot come commerce companies (selling stuff).
I meant the DotComs did not have a warehouse in Brooklyn. In Florence, this I can see for the reasons I stated.

03-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If so it's a curious choice since NJ runs neck and neck with NY on taxes...

Chris
When new businesses move into a state they are often given tax incentives that are not available to established businesses. NY offers 10 years of no personal income taxes to new companies who move employees to NY. The rest of us have to pick up the slack.
08-18-2017, 03:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There has been a settlement in this case: B&H Photo will pay $3.2 million to settle federal discrimination case: Digital Photography Review dpreview has closed reactions to the article (by order of Amazon? did B&H threaten to sue or did they get too much flak in the comments ).
08-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #22
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
dpreview has closed reactions to the article (by order of Amazon? did B&H threaten to sue or did they get too much flak in the comments ).
We have no idea why dpreview closed the comments to this thread. They maintain they're editorially independent from Amazon. I've never seen anything to suggest otherwise. The suggestion B&H might have threatened to sue is ludicrous.

10-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would chime in here but.....

I like PF and don't want to get banned.
10-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Were I running a company where the majority of business had shifted from bricks & mortar to on-line, and I was shipping the majority of product from a warehouse to every point in the country then 1) if the packages are mostly going by air, I'd want to be on Long Island (= possibly Brooklyn) to get the quickest access to JFK and Laguardia airports.; 2) If a majority of the product were shipping by land = truck, then I would rather locate in NJ. But, availability of suitable space, price, and tax structure would pLay major roles in any decision. Manhattan. however, is no place for a company that does the majority of its business on-line. I visited the B&H store on Manhattan not that long ago. As a retail space for photographic equipment, it looked dated and make-shift - like stepping back 50 years.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-18-2017 at 10:08 AM.
10-16-2017, 07:56 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
I like PF and don't want to get banned.
So why did you reopen a thread that's been dormant for nearly 2 months?
10-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Manhattan. however, is no place for a company that does the majority of its business on-line.
Amazon rolled out "Prime Now" 1-hr delivery in Manhattan a year or 2 ago.

---------- Post added 10-16-17 at 23:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
So why did you reopen a thread that's been dormant for nearly 2 months?
I'm sure it will go back into dormancy.

I will say this - From a consumer standpoint , If you like all things electronic, it's hard not to like B&H. I have purchased many times from them because I hate paying more than I have to. Biggest selection, lowest prices, good return policy. Aside from how they treat non Hasidic workers, there's something to be said about a store where they make you pay beforehand then pick your stuff up right by the exit on the way out.
10-17-2017, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazon rolled out "Prime Now" 1-hr delivery in Manhattan a year or 2 ago..
Delivery TO Manhattan, but how about nation-wide shipment FROM Manhattan? Amazon, unless I misunderstand their business model, also ships from many, many places rather than a single warehouse.

B&H has been my go-to source for photographic equipment for many years. They are trustworthy, lightning fast*, and have never hesitated on the few times I've had to return something.

*From my location in MessyChewBits, delivery has almost always been two days after an order placed early in the week. Sometimes if I order early in the morning, the package has arrived the next day! Quick as getting a Big Mac.
10-18-2017, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #28
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
B&H has been my go-to source for photographic equipment for many years. They are trustworthy, lightning fast*, and have never hesitated on the few times I've had to return something.
Thank you. Very gratifying.

---------- Post added 10-18-17 at 11:05 AM ----------

Aside from how they treat non Hasidic workers ...
I'm not Hasidic. In fact I'm not the least bit religious and everyone here knows it. I've been here 20+ years and have never had a problem with how I've been treated.
10-18-2017, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Frankly, throwing Hasidic, or any religion into this thread is not what I expect from this community.

B&H has always been very quick to handle my purchases, questions, etc. They accept returns graciously also. For those that wish to continue to try to degrade this business's image; they certainly don't have to shop there!

I feel we are extremely fortunate to have great businesses like B&H and Adorama; both of which have employees that are members here, in order to help us with any questions or problems we might encounter. So yes, I will continue supporting both!
10-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Frankly, throwing Hasidic, or any religion into this thread is not what I expect from this community.
Why? Can you elaborate?

---------- Post added 10-18-17 at 13:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
I've been here 20+ years and have never had a problem with how I've been treated.
I'm glad you've never had any issues but the labor department says many people have.

B&H Photo sued by Labor Department for discrimination - CNN

Why would anybody just make up a story about being treated unfairly at B&H? What would they have to gain by falsely "degrading this business's image"?

---------- Post added 10-18-17 at 13:39 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
certainly don't have to shop there!
That is a very good point and makes a lot of sense maybe I should take your advice.

Last edited by brightseal; 10-18-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Closed Thread