Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Be that as it may, here by us defensive weapons of any kind is a no-no. My daughter spent time in Japan. It really is not unlike here. Most of the population will never carry weapons.
This could go the wrong way fast.

03-26-2017, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

please remember that my opinion and $ will buy coffee at the diner

1 first line of defense - know where you are at and what is around you, keep your head on a swivel and do not focus your whole attention on just one thing, including taking photographs

2 if you are planning on going to to the "wrong part of town" ask yourself the old WW II gasoline rationing question: Is this trip really necessary

http://www.fortmissoulamuseum.org/WWII/the-need-to-sacrifice_is-your-trip-necessary.php

3 your money/camera/credit cards, etc, etc etc or your life is an easy question to answer especially if you have insured your equipment give it up quickly, remember your goal, if things go south, is to survive, not be a hero or show off.

4 if all else fails fight with anything you may have - a set of keys projecting from your closed fist won't be as sharp as "Wolverine's" claws but may be helpful, aim for the face if you can

5 remember, the old combat strategy, kick him/her where you don't want to be kicked, put your hand behind his/her neck and introduce his/her nose to your knee and then run fast because all you have accomplished is to make him/her mad at you.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-26-2017 at 07:22 PM.
03-26-2017, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It has either got to be strong or it could be a placebo. Once a confrontation makes it necessary to use if it doesn't work it its bad. I don't carry anything anymore but my old roommate carried it around her neck and a taser. Just zapping that taser cut many potential encounters short. My friends use to use that taser on each other, it was like a static shock grabbing a door knob. That said i would guess 95% move on instead in search of easier pickings. Sadly i have to be prepared to leave the house to my car here in new Orleans. Look both ways before you open your cage door.
03-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Societies differ across the globe, and here in the US of A it is more widely recognized that self-defense is a God-given right, although local jurisdictions will have fewer, or greater, restrictions on the means one may employ to achieve that end.

Where anyone may carry defensive weapons, criminals who wish to prey upon the public must take pause, not knowing what they might face. This is a good thing, in my view.

03-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This could go the wrong way fast.
Lets keep this on topic with regard to the OP's query. Or it's bound to get political and then it's a shut thread.
03-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster

well, Thank you everyone for variety of ideas. Don't get me wrong, Japan is a very safe place to be. I have never worried of being robbed when walk alone in the dark, in any part of the town. but again being in one of the (potentially) safest big city on earth doesn't mean we don't have an unreasonably aggressive people here. In fact, I am worry more of a wacko like the guy with a stick I mention than an armed robber. Martial art teachers used to tell our class that the best defense is calmly walk away, and it is what I am doing. Spray will be last of the last method to buy time for a getaway in an unavoidable situation.
and they are many type of spray to select, so If you got something to share on this, let me know.
03-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Preemptive strike as self defence?That's an interesting concept,good luck in court!

"M'lud he was looking at me a bit dodgy so I thought it best to punch him really hard just in case!"
No, not what I meant.
If they come running at me and intent is clear, I can increase my response time.
I have no interest in strafing any old person who looks dodgy, silly.
I should have said that better, sorry.
03-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Be that as it may, here by us defensive weapons of any kind is a no-no.
Yep. In NZ, even the police (generally) don't carry guns (they may have them available in their police cars).

Re pepper spray, when I worked at a railway station here in Oz, I occasionally saw police using it on miscreants at the station or on trains. Often it had no affect - they just continued to fight violently. Usually, one of the cops would also get sprayed (collateral damage) and he'd be the one who be taken down by it.

03-27-2017, 04:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
You do realize that bears consider that spray as seasoning.
some dogs do as well

I carried pepper (dog) spray for several years (work)
it is good out to 10-15 feet
works on dogs and people

sometimes you have no choice and it was more polite than thumping man or beast

you do have to remember to spray downwind or you will cry a lot