Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2017, 03:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Questions on Pepper Spray

Anyone here carry Pepper spray? I am looking for one but not sure what to look for.
I am pretty much want to go with FoxLabs at first, because of its positive review on amazon. Some reviewer seem to be a law enforcement officer. but when I read more on internet, people said go for the highest OC percentage, and look at FoxLabs, they has only 2% OC. I found some other brand with 10%, 12%, etc. But FoxLabs seems to has better review. why's that?

so now I am back to square one. I have no clue on this.
anyone can recommend me something?
brand?
what to look for?
appropriate amount?
appropriate price?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 03-26-2017 at 04:04 AM.
03-26-2017, 03:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is personal use/possession legal in Japan? It certainly isn't in Australia.
03-26-2017, 03:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Is personal use/possession legal in Japan? It certainly isn't in Australia.
Yes, it is legal here. they have it on Amazon Japan.
03-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I carry a can of bear spray($50 at a camping/hunting stre) in a holster every time I go out due to a huge uptick in strong arm robberies of photographers around san francisco. The concentration of active ingredient is less than with the traditional pepper spray canisters, but this can throw a blast of product up to 30ft.

http://www.edisastersystems.com/store/Frontiersman-Bear-Attack-Deterrent-wit...hvwaAjZs8P8HAQ

Last edited by mikeSF; 03-26-2017 at 04:33 PM.
03-26-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
this can throw a blast of product up to 30ft.
Thank you @mikeSF, throwing distance is a useful information. I should start look into those information too.
03-26-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I hesitate to comment on a thread relating to the bearing of "arms" for personal protection as it is an extremely contentious issue.But.....in what circumstances do you envisage using such an item? If an assailant were to pull a knife or gun on you do you think they will wait while you retrieve your pepper spray from your holster belt?Surely the loss of your photographic gear is not worth risking serious injury or potentially death for?
03-26-2017, 04:08 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I carry a can of bear spray($50 at a camping/hunting stre) in a holster every time I go out due to a huge uptick in strong arm robberies of photographers around san francisco. The concentration of active ingredient is less than with the traditional pepper spray canisters, but this can throw a blast of product up to 30ft.
You do realize that bears consider that spray as seasoning.

03-26-2017, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Below are some links pertaining to pepper spray. There are links on how to compare them, how to use them, some of the drawbacks of the use of them, and where to buy them. Because of the significant drawbacks pertaining to the use of pepper sprays I don’t carry or use them. But then again I also live in a place where I can choose from a plethora of options. Considering that pepper spray may be the best available option it is still probably recommended to carry a backup option on your belt in addition to just the pepper spray. I lean toward a tactical defensive flashlight. They can be small and unobtrusive and used in a similar fashion as a coup baton. This is in addition to being very handy is just a flashlight. By the way, just because someplace like Amazon sells it in no way proves that it is legal in the location that you live. Please check the laws where you live that not only for the possession of but also on how to legally use these items.

Police Tested | DefenseDevices.com

Keychain Batons - The Home Security Superstore

What is the Best Pepper Spray You Can Buy in 2017? Our Top 3 Recommendations

Cheaper Than Dirt

Why You Want to Avoid Self-Defense Sprays - USA Carry

Non-Gun Weapons: Carried and Improvised

Use of Lethal and Non-Lethal Force

Use of Lethal and Non-Lethal Force

DAZ
03-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
Yes, it is legal here. they have it on Amazon Japan.
It's legal but only if you can prove it's necessary to have for self defence. Mostly, the police frown upon any carrying of defensive weapons of any kind. So, if you were carrying it in the dead of night, in a somewhat shady neighbourhood, you'd probably be fine. But, if you carried it in the day time in a seemingly normal neighbourhood, they may well confiscate it.
03-26-2017, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
You do realize that bears consider that spray as seasoning.
I also dab some garlic behind my ears...

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I hesitate to comment on a thread relating to the bearing of "arms" for personal protection as it is an extremely contentious issue.But.....in what circumstances do you envisage using such an item? If an assailant were to pull a knife or gun on you do you think they will wait while you retrieve your pepper spray from your holster belt?Surely the loss of your photographic gear is not worth risking serious injury or potentially death for?
i've had photog friends get shot, hit on the head, pushed down, or tasered before having their gear taken from them. In a complete surprise attack, pepper spray would have limited utility.
If I am alone and some questionable characters are eyeing me, I may un-safety my spray and have it ready for a preemptive strike. If there is a grab and run theft, the pepper spray could be used during foot chase to slow or apprehend the assailant. Again - the circumstances will dictate the result, but better to have a chance to defend than to hand over one's gear without a choice to act or not.
03-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
While it's quite safe in Tokyo, robber is rare, armed robbery is something I have never hear of, carry knife in public even illegal. However, it doesn't matter how safe it is, like any big city, wacky / crazy people is not rare in this town.
I mostly go out at night for photo shooting and I has been engaged by strangers a few time. Sometime drunken guy, sometime it's just non-sense, I don't know whatever going on in their mind. Some people can be very aggressive with no reasons. I has always keeping my eyes open while walking at night alone and distance myself by walk away from any potential trouble and will keep doing so. Last time in a relatively save neighborhood and It was a guy walking toward and aggressively pointing a stick at me. It could be a drunken and or mentally ill homeless. Again keep distance and walking away is the best defense but Pepper spray is always in the back of my mind as a "last method to buy time for get away" and hopefully It will never be used.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 03-26-2017 at 04:56 PM.
03-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometime drunken guy, sometime it's just non-sense, I don't know whatever going on in their mind. Some people can be very aggressive with no reasons.
I'm told that the assailant's mental state greatly influences their ability to overcome the effects of pepper spray. What you need more than anything else in these unpredictable situations is the ability to control your fear and take advantage of the assailant's state of mind, not become more vulnerable to it. Martial arts training would be my suggestion.
Pepper spray is always in the back of my mind as a "last method to buy time for get away" and hopefully It will never be used.
Unfortunately, if you don't get real world practice using bear spray, you are less likely to be able to use it properly when the need arises.
03-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I also dab some garlic behind my ears...

i've had photog friends get shot, hit on the head, pushed down, or tasered before having their gear taken from them. In a complete surprise attack, pepper spray would have limited utility.
If I am alone and some questionable characters are eyeing me, I may un-safety my spray and have it ready for a preemptive strike. If there is a grab and run theft, the pepper spray could be used during foot chase to slow or apprehend the assailant. Again - the circumstances will dictate the result, but better to have a chance to defend than to hand over one's gear without a choice to act or not.
Preemptive strike as self defence?That's an interesting concept,good luck in court!

"M'lud he was looking at me a bit dodgy so I thought it best to punch him really hard just in case!"
03-26-2017, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's legal but only if you can prove it's necessary to have for self defence. Mostly, the police frown upon any carrying of defensive weapons of any kind. So, if you were carrying it in the dead of night, in a somewhat shady neighbourhood, you'd probably be fine. But, if you carried it in the day time in a seemingly normal neighbourhood, they may well confiscate it.
Yep. When seconds count they're only minutes away.
03-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep. When seconds count they're only minutes away.
Be that as it may, here by us defensive weapons of any kind is a no-no. My daughter spent time in Japan. It really is not unlike here. Most of the population will never carry weapons.