Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A way to share photos privately easily?

Hey guys (and gals),

I'm a member of our schools P&C, and recently it has been brought to my attention that we must be sensitive when using any photographs (for post promotion fund raising events) on social media (such as fb) where the identity of children is clearly visible.
The school seeks permission at the beginning of every school year for parents to agree or refuse the right to have their child in such promotional material, but that information is often not privy to P&C members (whom often do more managing of the social media of the school than the staff themselves), so the agreed solution is that the senior school staff are asked to review content and check that the photos are ok for posting before being placed on social media.

The hurdle now is how to get the content to the staff easily for review, without sending multiple emails containing 2-3 15mb pics at a time...

As a flickr user, I could put them up on my page, but it looks messy, and I cannot see a way to make flickr pictures 'private' or that I share a link (to an album containing multiple pics) and the end user needs permission or a pw to view the content, that would be best but I don't think flickr can do that...

I could bung them on my onedrive...

Just wondering what other ways are available to upload photos privately for review?

Anyone?

Cheers,

Bruce

03-30-2017, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I would suggest email, and if they are going on social media what is the reason of being 15mb?
Just resize them and they'll easily end up under 200kb, at a good quality for social media.
See the embedded image, it takes up 115kb of space.
03-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

No definitive answer, just offering some comments.

Flickr allows you to set a photo to private. If private, though, I don't know if there's a way to selectively share it.

Google Drive offers a way to share private documents with specific people. You can forward a secret link to them.
03-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I would suggest email, and if they are going on social media what is the reason of being 15mb?
Just resize them and they'll easily end up under 200kb, at a good quality for social media.
See the embedded image, it takes up 115kb of space.
That's true, I just tend to never (personally) resize pics as I'm lazy, but for this procedure is probably simplest. You've actually flagged another concern I have, which I'll make a separate post elsewhere

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
No definitive answer, just offering some comments.

Flickr allows you to set a photo to private. If private, though, I don't know if there's a way to selectively share it.

Google Drive offers a way to share private documents with specific people. You can forward a secret link to them.
Yeah i just made a picture on my flickr as Private, it disappears from 'Public View' from my flickr photostream. If I change my photostream parameters to 'View All' the picture reappears with share links etc (the original url has now changed to a new one).

So this seems to be one way, or resize.

Cheers fellas!

03-31-2017, 12:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A bit late, but SmugMug allows private albums. You upload photos to an album, set a password for the album, then send the album URL and password to the client. The client chooses all or some of the photos in the album to download, enters the password and email address, and then gets an email with the download link for a zip file. It takes less time than explaining it. I pay $60 or so per year - I'm not sure if the free version has the password capability.
03-31-2017, 01:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I am with Google drive too. it even give you the activity history of who download the file and when.
03-31-2017, 01:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A bit late, but SmugMug allows private albums. You upload photos to an album, set a password for the album, then send the album URL and password to the client. The client chooses all or some of the photos in the album to download, enters the password and email address, and then gets an email with the download link for a zip file. It takes less time than explaining it. I pay $60 or so per year - I'm not sure if the free version has the password capability.
I've heard of smugmug before, cool that you can do that.

I'm at $25/year for flickr pro, I tested it's ability to make things private and it seems to work fine, url is hidden but the owner can retrieve it and c/p in an email etc. I don't know at this time tho if I can make an entire album with 50 pics say 'private' and then pass just one url to access it all...

03-31-2017, 02:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
The school seeks permission at the beginning of every school year for parents to agree or refuse the right to have their child in such promotional material, but that information is often not privy to P&C members (whom often do more managing of the social media of the school than the staff themselves), so the agreed solution is that the senior school staff are asked to review content and check that the photos are ok for posting before being placed on social media.
The school is responsible for the regulation and one and only one person has the responsibility to approve or disapprove. Find who that resposinble person is and set up an appointment.

The hurdle now is how to get the content to the staff easily for review, without sending multiple emails containing 2-3 15mb pics at a time...
Dump the small resized files on a flash drive and bring to the above appointment for approval or not.
Get it in writing.

Anything less and you are playing with fire both for the school and yourself.
03-31-2017, 04:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've heard of smugmug before, cool that you can do that.

I'm at $25/year for flickr pro, I tested it's ability to make things private and it seems to work fine, url is hidden but the owner can retrieve it and c/p in an email etc. I don't know at this time tho if I can make an entire album with 50 pics say 'private' and then pass just one url to access it all...
I only have a SmugMug account for possible business use. I put all my personal stuff at SlickPic after Photobucket crapped the bed for awhile, and I had an issue with Flickr. I hope it works out for you.
03-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easiest way is to use dropbox. It's integration into the file system allows to easy and quick change the files to share inside the windows explorer, offer zip-files for thers to download a complete folder and does'nt modify the files.
All image upload services does change the files and it's embedded EXIF-Data.
03-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Easiest way is to use dropbox. It's integration into the file system allows to easy and quick change the files to share inside the windows explorer, offer zip-files for thers to download a complete folder and does'nt modify the files.
All image upload services does change the files and it's embedded EXIF-Data.
I've actually been using flickr thus far and have found it pretty good. I can set the pictures to private, make an album, sort the ordering, share the private album url and even generate a zip file for the customer to grab the files in one go. I also like the way flickr 'presents' the images, I think it does give a nice professional first impression than a bunch of files that they then open in god knows what photo viewer they have installed...
It's also nice because people can just view the photos quickly, make comments back to me without actually having to download all the files.