Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Optimum Instagram settings?

Up until recently I have been using a 4.3 inch 720pish smartphone to view instagram pics (as well as my own that I upload to), I have now just come to own a Samsung tab S2 which has a very high PPI for an 8 inch screen. What I am seeing is that when I transfer the uncompressed original files to the tablet, during the editing process the photo looks fabby and detailed, but after when posted it looks kinda compressed and worse. It maybe all the tablets doing, and in reality the pics look fine on other tablets and devices, I'm just wondering if throwing a 10-15mb picture to instagram is actually worse than optimizing it first then passing through (and with optimization I mean resize etc)?

My Instapage is here; Emmet Bricked (@emmetbricked) ? Instagram photos and videos

Normally how my work flow goes is; picture snapped>transfer to pc>editing raw in LR>exported as Jpg (Quality 100, no resize here)>uploaded to flickr and at the same time emailed to myself so that i can retrieve it on the phone and push across to instagram. I figured insta would resize it anyway.

If there is a way to tell LR to export two versions, one to go to PC folder as JPG quality 100 and the other to be emailed directly to myself at a certain resize (for insta), then that might be really advantageous in quicker upload/downloads without much work/hassle on my part...

Cheers,

Bruce

03-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Resize it yourself before uploading to Instagram. This also works for FB, Your resize does a better job than than website resize. For FB, I find that 1200 px on the largest side and about 500 kb works best. Similar for Insta.
A 15 Mb file will be hacked to pieces by a website's compression. You will see much better results with around the 500 Kb that i suggested.

Last edited by Terry C; 03-30-2017 at 04:24 PM.
03-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The max upload size for FB is 2048px on the long edge. Instagram will resize and recompress your image but I've found it always looks great on my phone. It's modest on the website. FB looks awful on all circumstances.
03-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
Resize it yourself before uploading to Instagram. This also works for FB, Your resize does a better job than than website resize. For FB, I find that 1200 px on the largest side and about 500 kb works best. Similar for Insta.
A 15 Mb file will be hacked to pieces by a website's compression. You will see much better results with around the 500 Kb that i suggested.
Sounds good, I'll give that a go.

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
The max upload size for FB is 2048px on the long edge. Instagram will resize and recompress your image but I've found it always looks great on my phone. It's modest on the website. FB looks awful on all circumstances.
Cheers.

As I said before, previously on my phone I couldn't tell a difference, but now on the S2 8 inch tablet (res 2048 x 1536) the compression is clearer.

What's curious is, when inserting the picture in the Instagram App all looks good and as it should, you can apply filters and what not and the picture looks as is should, but once you apply and post the image, in the feed it now looks quite different, more compressy and pixelated (despite occupying the same dimensions). It might just be the tablet tho (too high a PPI for instagram to perform well on), on the pc desktop monitor things look ok, but seeing as I interact (and showcase) Instagram pics from the tablet more often than not, I'd rather improve how it looks at that end.

03-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
What's curious is, when inserting the picture in the Instagram App all looks good and as it should, you can apply filters and what not and the picture looks as is should, but once you apply and post the image, in the feed it now looks quite different, more compressy and pixelated (despite occupying the same dimensions). It might just be the tablet tho (too high a PPI for instagram to perform well on), on the pc desktop monitor things look ok, but seeing as I interact (and showcase) Instagram pics from the tablet more often than not, I'd rather improve how it looks at that end.

IG doesn't have a tablet app, no? They don't have an iPad app. They have an iPhone app which you can run on the iPad but the resolution is locked to whatever an iPhone is. It looks like garbage on the iPad. Same on an Android tablet?
03-31-2017, 02:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
IG doesn't have a tablet app, no? They don't have an iPad app. They have an iPhone app which you can run on the iPad but the resolution is locked to whatever an iPhone is. It looks like garbage on the iPad. Same on an Android tablet?
I... don't... think so. Are you meaning that perhaps a 'HD' version of the same app might exist between phone and tablet users because this sorta thing might be common issue? If so I have not heard of such a thing.

I just went to the Playstore on my Android tablet and installed Instagram...
03-31-2017, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #7

Maximum width on IG is 1080px

Maximum height on IG is 1350px

Thus the largest image can be 1080x1350px via a 4:5 aspect ratio crop

03-31-2017, 06:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I... don't... think so. Are you meaning that perhaps a 'HD' version of the same app might exist between phone and tablet users because this sorta thing might be common issue? If so I have not heard of such a thing.
What I mean is there isn't an HD version. There isn't for iOS. I don't know about Android because I don't own an Android tablet, but I assume there is not an HD version. That's why it would look so bad on a tablet but just fine on a phone.
04-01-2017, 01:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What I mean is there isn't an HD version. There isn't for iOS. I don't know about Android because I don't own an Android tablet, but I assume there is not an HD version. That's why it would look so bad on a tablet but just fine on a phone.
I think yer right.

My tablet is 8 inches, but has a res of 2048 x 1536, so when I am inputting the pictures into instagram and editing them in the instagram software they look good because as of yet they have not been 'published and compressed'. Once they have been published that 1080p width is being pulled across a 1536 width of the tablet, and same stretch for height, so the picture just looks more blocky and pixelated on my tablet (too high a PPI).