Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Horses . . .

. . . two too many.

Once Upon a Time in the West - Wikipedia

04-07-2017, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even if you are not a fan of Westerns or John Wayne, John Ford's The Searchers is a must-see.

Chris
04-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Even if you are not a fan of Westerns or John Wayne, John Ford's The Searchers is a must-see.

Chris

My favorite John Wayne movie ever!
04-07-2017, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #79
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bad Day at Black Rock, 1955.

Spencer Tracy is in a tiny town, investigating the disappearance of a Japanese man. He gets hassled by Ernest Borgnine in this bar scene, and by Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan and more in other scenes.

He gets some support from Walter Brennan, who has the best dialog.

Here's the ending. Someone has died. The police are rounding up some people for various old and new crimes. Tracy is leaving the way he arrived. "The medal" was for the Japanese man.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-08-2017 at 12:01 PM.
04-08-2017, 07:00 PM - 3 Likes   #80
Pentaxian

Original Poster
12 Angry Men is about the jurors on a murder trial arguing over the evidence.

Originally a play, the movie was directed by Sidney Lumet, stars Henry Fonda, EG Marshall, Jack Klugman, and others you may not recognize by name.

In a nutshell, the first vote is 11 guilty, and 1 (Fonda) not guilty. Over the course of the movie, the arguments and votes start changing.

Here, Jack Warden changes his vote. It has my favorite moment, when Warden says "Look, I don't have to...uuhhhhhhhhh..."

Ed Begley states his views about "them" (minorities). (There is also a link to the original live TV broadcast from 1956. Norman Fell (Mr. Roper) has Martin Balsam's part, Bob Cummings has Fonda's part, and the old man and man with foreign accent have their same roles.)

Here, the last hold out, Lee J Cobb, makes his final argument to vote guilty.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-03-2018 at 03:35 PM.
04-09-2017, 11:59 PM   #81
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Here, the last hold out, Lee J Cobb, makes his final argument to vote guilty.

12 Angry Men (10/10) Movie CLIP - Not Guilty (1957) HD - YouTube
Yeah, this is another one of favourite scenes from one of my favourite movies, SpecialK.

My wife and I were lucky enough to see a local production of this play last year. There were tears in my eyes when the Cobb character breaks down after realising he's redirected the frustration with his son to the defendant.
04-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1957's Paths of Glory, directed by Stanley Kubrick. Stars Kirk Douglas and a lot of good supporting actors.

Lots of good scenes, so you get three four.

Here is an early scene that introduces some of the characters. A general (George Macready) and major (Richard Anderson) inspect the troops. Some similarity to Patton as you will see.

A secondary sub-plot is that during a 3-man night scouting mission, a drunken company commander (Wayne Morris) tosses a grenade and retreats, to later be told he killed one of his own men. He files a false report. Morris is excellent as the slimy weasel.

Here, Kirk Douglas is leading the suicide charge toward "The Ant Hill".

The charge ultimately failed as expected. A second charge is ordered, and the general orders shelling on his own men to get them to move, though the attack doesn't get going as the German's defenses are too great. The general wants 100 soldiers shot for cowardice. Finally, he settles on one man from each company.

"They're scum."
Have to go to the Turner website for this one:
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1229100/Paths-Of-Glory-Movie-Clip-They-re-Scum.html

The three men (Timothy Carey, Joe Turkel, and Ralph Meeker) picked by each company commander. A "trial" was convened in which Richard Anderson prosecutes them and Kirk Douglas defends them. Ralph Meeker tells Douglas he was picked because he knows the company commander tossed the grenade. Douglas makes the commander lead the firing squad, and Morris meekly apologizes to Meeker. (The guy on the stretcher accidentally got a skull fracture the night before. The general hopes he'll be awake for the firing squad).

The title is from the ninth stanza of Thomas Gray's long poem: Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard.

The boast of heraldry, the pomp of pow'r,
And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave,
Awaits alike th'inevitable hour.
The paths of glory lead but to the grave.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-03-2018 at 03:44 PM.
04-14-2017, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #83
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Words can kill, just as well as bullets.

04-14-2017, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Words can kill, just as well as bullets.

Dirty Harry IV - words can kill... - YouTube

I was accused of something like that...he didn't die but he was off for about six months

personally I've always thought that some folks just take it all too too seriously
04-17-2017, 07:49 PM - 5 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1984's "This is Spinal Tap" was a leader in the "mockumentary" genre of pretending to be a true documentary. Others in that genre (with some of the same actors) include A Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman, and Best in Show. Technically, the "i" in "Spinal" has no dot and the "n" has an umlaut as popularized by some heavy metal bands.

Here is the famous "These go to 11" scene.

I like this scene, arguing about the wrong-size stage prop that was "in danger of being crushed by a dwarf...alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object".

The cast actually toured as "Spinal Tap", and their other incarnation, "The Folksmen" (who are seen in the movie A Mighty Wind). Here's a bonus, "Big Bottom", my favorite song from the movie.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-21-2017 at 05:53 PM.
04-17-2017, 11:20 PM - 5 Likes   #86
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1979's "Apocalypse, Now". There are 2 versions, the "original" and the "Redux" (director's cut). I recommend the original as the DC interrupts some important scenes with some "boring" stuff :-) The cast list is staggering: Marlon Brando, Martin Sheen, Harrison Ford, Laurence Fishburne, Dennis Hopper. GD Spradlin, and Frederic Forrest. It took 2 years to edit from over 1 milllion feet of footage. Martin Sheen had a heart attack in the middle of production. Birth of 5.1 sound. Big, big movie.

Opening scene - the movie has no opening credits. Martin Sheen actually cuts his thumb and begs with FF Coppola to keep shooting. Sheen was drunk, (and an alcoholic), and had a few issues going on.

Willard gets his mission. At the end of the previous scene, two solders come for him, and after putting him in the shower, Willard is taken to this double-wide mobile home. I like GD Spradlin as the general in this one particularly the "good does not always triumph" part. The "civilian", Jerry, is actually Jerry Ziesmer, the assistant director. When you hear an actor say "Kurtz", his mouth says Leighlie, an early version of the character name.

Robert Duvall, as Col. Kilgore, only had about 11 minutes screen time, and was nominated for a supporting actor oscar.

This scene is (I think) from the director's cut and has a few extra bits in the first half. In the original this is the last we see of Kilgore, though there is more of him after this in the director's cut. This is after the scene when Kilgore and his men are flying over the waves in a helicopter, and a soldier says it looks like Charlie holds the point. Kilgore says "Charlie don't surf!"

The beginning and ending scenes are great, as are most the others :-)

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-03-2018 at 03:57 PM.
04-17-2017, 11:46 PM - 3 Likes   #87
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Tarantino's Tasty burger.

04-18-2017, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #88
smf
Pentaxian

Scenes in "Airplame" do have me laughing with tears in my eyes, even after repeated viewing. But my other favorite film is "Marty," the Academy Award winner as the best picture of 1955. (Three other Oscars also were awarded for " Marty" work.)

From the Internet Movie Database website, here are some of Best Actor Oscar-winner Ernest Borgnine's lines, delivered to friend Angie: "You don't like her. My mother don't like her. She's a dog. And I'm a fat, ugly man. Well, all I know is I had a good time last night. I'm gonna have a good time tonight. If we have enough good times together, I'm gonna get down on my knees. I'm gonna beg that girl to marry me. If we make a party on New Year's, I got a date for that party. You don't like her? That's too bad."

(Marty does not think Clara is " a dog.")
04-18-2017, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #89

Quint's USS Indianapolis speech from Jaws.

04-18-2017, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #90
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Hold me down, son.

Whooo ah!