Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 192 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2017, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
2000's "Erin Brockovich" (nominated for best picture, director, writing, supporting actor), starring Julia Roberts who won an oscar for her performance, tells of the discovery of toxic chromium-6 in the drinking water in the town of Hinkley CA, and the legal investigation by non-attorney Erin Brockovich against PG&E. True story, and excellent movie that I had overlooked for some time based on the uninspiring title. Oh, and Julia famously forgot to thank Erin herself in the Oscar speech.

Here, Erin, accompanied by attorney-boss, Ed, and two "pretend" attorneys for a show of strength, confront PG&E lawyers about a "lame-ass" settlement offer.

Erin works her way into the water records office.

Later, Erin wants to go back for more information.
Boss Ed: I know how those places are run. They're a mess. What makes you think you can just walk in there and find what we need?
Erin: They're called boobs, Ed.

Here, after more research, Eric has better documentation.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-03-2018 at 03:59 PM.
04-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Original Poster
"Fail-Safe", from 1964, came out about the same time as "Dr. Strangelove." They were essentially the same story - US planes erroneously sent to bomb Russia, and the attempt to have them recalled. "Fail-Safe" was a straight suspense-drama, whereas "Dr. Strangelove" was a broad satire.

There are 2 versions of "Fail-Safe". The original stars Henry Fonda, Walter Matthau, Fritz Weaver, Frank Overton, Dan O'Herlihy, Sorrell Booke, and Larry Hagman. The 2000 version has big names, too, but was sort of a pointless remake.

Surprisingly, there are few videos of individual scenes.

The military refused to provide any help whatsoever (and even had stock film houses refuse to help) so every scene of airplanes, or the war room, etc is totally hokey. A clip of a single aircraft taking off was altered in cropping and angle to look like several planes in sequence. The "big board" animation is just bad. A shot of planes "going to afterburner" show them firing missiles instead. A shot of a bomber is a negative image, not positive. Yes, those technical parts are all that bad, but probably most went unnoticed at the time.

Early on, Walter Matthau suggests not recalling the planes.

Later, Frank Overton is trying to help the Russians defend against the bombers. He asks Fritz Weaver to provide some info, but Weaver is starting to crack under pressure. Frank Overton calls up Dom DeLuise (yes) to help.

Near the end, the President (Fonda) is talking to the the Russian chairman. Hagman is the interpreter. ("Jay" is the US ambassador to Russia, in Moscow. The squeal at the end is the sound of his phone melting...). This is a rough clip and continues on but it is unrelated.

My favorite scene - "What do we say to the dead?"

A fan-made trailer is pretty good, and show a bit of most of the characters.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-22-2017 at 02:51 AM.
04-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #93
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was interesting to see Dom De Louise playing a straight role.
04-19-2017, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mad-Max.
Toecutters death...

04-21-2017, 07:43 AM - 3 Likes   #95
Veteran Member

The father of all flakes
04-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
my father didn't care for war movies or tv shows

he caught my brother and I watching combat
as he switched off the tv he muttered...those stupid SOBs wouldn't have lasted five minutes
that was about the extent of his war talk

Kelly's patch was for the 35th division, my dad's, he particularly despised this film
04-21-2017, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #97
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote

Kelly's patch was for the 35th division, my dad's, he particularly despised this film
"Negative waves..."

04-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since there are a TON of great scenes I can think of in Cinema, I think I will go with the theme here (Mostly westerns) and go with mine.

Billy Jack. Awesomeness.
04-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
"Negative waves..."
nope

he was positive that he hated this movie

personally I thought Sutherland was the best part of it
but I was loaded that year
04-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, my experience exactly.

Anyone who has seen combat - real combat - wants nothing to do with it ever again.
That includes playing with guns.

These are men whose youth was truly stolen.

Chris

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
my father didn't care for war movies or tv shows

he caught my brother and I watching combat
as he switched off the tv he muttered...those stupid SOBs wouldn't have lasted five minutes
that was about the extent of his war talk

04-22-2017, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
OK, time for Stanley Kubrick's famous satire, "Dr. Strangelove". Famously has Peter Sellers in 3 roles (he broke his ankle and could not fit in the bomber therefore Slim Pickens was called in for that role.)

General "Jack" Ripper (Sterling Hayden) has asked Group Captain Mandrake (Sellers) to round up the portable radios and bring them to Ripper's office.

Precious Bodily Fluids - Dr. Strangelove (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb) - YouTube

In the war room, General Buck Turgidson (George C. Scott) counts off the reasons the president (Sellers) should proceed with the unplanned attack. "Five..." is the best moment in the movie. Kubrick usually wanted Scott to do one more over-the-top take...

Listen To Buck, Use your Nukes - YouTube

And here is the end - spoilers alert!

Dr. Strangelove (Sellers) explains the logistics of going underground, and the men talk about a mine-shaft gap.

Dr. Strangelove (1964) - Mein Führer I Can Walk!!! - YouTube

There are a dozen other memorable scenes.
SpecialK beat me to it, but Dr Strangelove is a classic. Forget Sellers an all the roles he played, I reckon George C Scott and Slim Pickens sold the story.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room..."
04-22-2017, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
SpecialK beat me to it, but Dr Strangelove is a classic. Forget Sellers an all the roles he played, I reckon George C Scott and Slim Pickens sold the story.
I liked Sterling Hayden as well. "Come on, Mandrake, the Redcoats are coming!"

Keenan Wynn and the Coke machine was weak, though I liked Mandrake's line: "Shoot! With a gun! That's what the bullets are for, you twit!"
04-22-2017, 02:57 AM - 2 Likes   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Toecutters Death - YouTube[/url] Toecutters death...
You've gotta love a black Ford Falcon coupe.
04-22-2017, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #104
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
You've gotta love a black Ford Falcon coupe.
Especially with a switchable blower.
04-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Since there are a TON of great scenes I can think of in Cinema, I think I will go with the theme here (Mostly westerns) and go with mine.

Billy Jack RIGHT FOOT Wops Posner's Face (1080p HD) Billy Jack Classic Clips - YouTube

Billy Jack. Awesomeness.
Great inverted roundhouse. One of my all time favorite kicks.