Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 192 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2017, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never get tired of this movie...A Bronx Tale (1993)

Last edited by paulh; 04-22-2017 at 09:25 AM.
04-22-2017, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
on a lighter note

04-22-2017, 12:32 PM - 2 Likes   #108
Pentaxian

And now for something completely different.

I could put more but then I would be posting the whole movie.
04-22-2017, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I could put more but then I would be posting the whole movie.
Taking silliness to alltime highs - classic!

This one's a bit dated now, but still cracks me up Used Cars (1980)

04-22-2017, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Little more on the darker side. Several awesome scenes in the movie... Some not fit to post here.
04-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Especially with a switchable blower.
In my late son's effects, there Is a cast resin model of the Mad Max Falcon interceptor. I'm not a collector so I should put it on eVilBay.
04-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #112
Pentaxian

almost verbatim, from Airplane!.. capt oveur and the doctor (Peter Graves, Leslie Nielson):

when can we land?
I can't tell.
you can tell me, I'm a doctor.
hmm not for another 2-3 hours.
you can't tell me for another 2-3 hours?

04-22-2017, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!
04-22-2017, 11:54 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1950's "D.O.A" is a really good film-noir. Stars Edmund O'Brien as a man who has been poisoned.

The opening scene consists of the camera following Frank Bigelow (O'Brien) as he purposefully marches through the long corridors in the police department building. Big credits, big music intro:

He enters the homicide department, and asks for the "man in charge".
(This is the whole movie, so just stop at about 3 minutes, after he says "I was." Or not :-)

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-08-2017 at 01:26 AM.
04-23-2017, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
almost verbatim, from Airplane!.. capt oveur and the doctor (Peter Graves, Leslie Nielson):

when can we land?
I can't tell.
you can tell me, I'm a doctor.
hmm not for another 2-3 hours.
you can't tell me for another 2-3 hours?

There's quite a few examples of that type of dialogue in the movie. Another (paraphrasing):

We've got to get her to a hospital!
A hospital? What is it?
It's a large building with patients inside, but that's not important right now...
04-23-2017, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1950' "Sunset Boulevard" was directed by Billy Wilder and stars Gloria Swanson and William Holden. Small parts by a "happy" Jack Webb, Cecil B. DeMille, and Nancy Olsen. The film makes some derogatory references to the Hollywood industry, and many insiders said, "Billy, how could you?" (and worse). Nominated for Best Film, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress and Best Director.

In a nutshell, Holden is a struggling Hollywood writer being chased by men trying to repossess his car. Holden's car has a flat tire, so he pulls into a garage of a large house. He wants to use the phone. The butler thinks Holden is the undertaker who will make arrangements to bury Swanson's dead "friend".

By the middle of the movie, Swanson and Holden (reluctantly) are getting "chummy" while he writes Swanson's great "comeback" script entitled "Salome". Here, they are watching a (vintage) Swanson silent movie (which was directed by Erich von Stroheim (the "butler") in real life).

Here, Swanson is playing cards with "her waxworks", former stars Buster Keaton, HB Warner and Anna Q. Nilsson.

Spoiler alert - the ending. Holden has already been shot to death and has been retrieved from the pool, which mimics the opening scene. One of the best scenes in cinema.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-17-2018 at 11:48 AM.
04-23-2017, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #117
Pentaxian

Here is another movie that has some really good scenes in it.

From what I understand, the "make them laugh" scene was shot in one day, and Donald O'Conner went home that night and slept for the next three days. At least, that is what I have heard over the years.
04-23-2017, 04:52 PM - 4 Likes   #118
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Here is another movie that has some really good scenes in it.

From what I understand, the "make them laugh" scene was shot in one day, and Donald O'Conner went home that night and slept for the next three days. At least, that is what I have heard over the years.
I can see a lot of potential problems with hats and other props. However, when I hear the song "Singin' in the Rain", I always think of "A Clockwork Orange" :-(
04-25-2017, 10:55 PM - 2 Likes   #119
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1973's "Paper Moon", directed by Peter Bogdanovich, stars Tatum O'Neal and her father, Ryan O'Neal. Filmed in deep-focus B/W with an IR filter. I have often thought it is the "perfect" movie, i.e., no flaws. Randy Quaid has a small-but-memorable bit, John Hillerman (Magnum PI's boss) has two roles, and Burton Gilliam (Blazing Saddles) is in his first movie. Tatum O'Neal's performance in this movie is the longest, at over an hour, to win an Oscar in a supporting acting category.

Recently united by fate, they have just begun their road-trip. Tatum wants her cut of some pay-off money from the brother of the man who killed her mother in an auto accident.

Here, Madeline Kahn has joined them as a traveling companion. The ladies have not gotten along too well. Addie (Tatum) wants to sit up front, and won't get in the back seat again. (Madeline, nominated for an Oscar for this role, did not want to say the "T word" in her monologue and said it only on one take.)

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-27-2017 at 12:37 AM.
04-26-2017, 12:00 AM - 2 Likes   #120
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Cool Hand Luke. One of my favorite lines from any movie.