Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robert52 Quote
not that I have ever seen or desire to see Fury Road)
A post-apocalyptic continuous chase-with-unending-armament in the outback. The End. Although it won 6 awards, nominated for more, I was frowning the whole time I was sitting through it. My sister and nephew raved about it before we watched it.

04-30-2017, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #137
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A post-apocalyptic continuous chase-with-unending-armament in the outback. The End. Although it won 6 awards, nominated for more, I was frowning the whole time I was sitting through it. My sister and nephew raved about it before we watched it.
Some movies are like that. Winning at the box office, in the court of popular opinion, and at a the awards banquet. Yet one sits down with a bowl of popcorn and their favorite beverage and the whole thing is a bust.
04-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Some movies are like that. Winning at the box office, in the court of popular opinion, and at a the awards banquet. Yet one sits down with a bowl of popcorn and their favorite beverage and the whole thing is a bust.
The Godfather jumps to mind. Totally bored :-)
05-01-2017, 12:53 PM - 4 Likes   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The Godfather jumps to mind. Totally bored :-)
The Godfather is one of my all time favorite movies, but you are not alone. When I was in high school, a good friend of mine had the same opinion and told me that Goodfellas did it better.

---------- Post added 05-01-17 at 01:02 PM ----------

I wish more people knew about this movie. Two legends I hope live forever. Let's see if PF has seen this movie.

05-01-2017, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before it was a major motion picture Mario Puzo's novel The Godfather was on The NY Times best-seller list for 67 weeks.
I wasn't yet a teenager and even I had heard of the book. That so many had read it created a major buzz for the movie.
It also didn't hurt the films popularity that so many of Hollywood's older established and young rising stars were featured.

Chris
05-01-2017, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #141
Veteran Member

I'm a huge Kurosawa fan, so I'll mention my two favorite bits from his films. First is the final battle scene from Seven Samurai, which some of the most brilliant editing of any action I've seen. There is no good single clip I can find, but the two clips below have the beginning of the scene and the ending of the scene and are missing a bunch in the middle:

And then there is the Yojimbo, also lacking in good clips on YouTube. Best I could find is this clip which is subtitled in Spanish:

The first minute is a scene without dialogue where the wandering samurai wanders into the town torn apart by two warring crime bosses, the people all look at him with suspicion, but the dog shows him what kind of town it is.. Then the clip jumps to a later scene where the samurai walks in front of the weaker bosses house and tell him essentially--hire me! Watch. He walks across town to the other bosses house, insults and kill a couple of his men, then walks back. He stops in front of the coffin maker and tells him: two coffins. No, maybe three.
05-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Generally speaking, I won't bother with any movie given a good wrap by critics. I prefer movies liked by the public.

I caught Sunset Boulevard on TV just recently. I'm not sure if I liked it or not.

Last edited by p38arover; 05-08-2017 at 04:54 AM.
05-01-2017, 11:48 PM   #143
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
He stops in front of the coffin maker and tells him: two coffins. No, maybe three.
A line later used in a Clint Eastwood movie.
05-01-2017, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Emperor Nero (Dom DeLuise) going "more women, more wine, more..." before falling over backwards from his throne, then getting up and pulling the chicken he landed on with his butt out, handing it to a servant while saying "wash this" - it cracks me up every single time. (History of the World, Part I)

Also the part where Jezus is getting badgered by Comicus trying to sell more malt wine until Leonardo da Vinci arrives to paint the group’s portrait (last supper).
05-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #145
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Generally speaking, I won't bother with any movie given a good wrap by critics. I prefer movies like by the public.

I caught Sunset Boulevard on TV just recently. I'm not sure if I liked it or not.
There are quite a few inside-the-business jokes.
05-02-2017, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A line later used in a Clint Eastwood movie.
Well, Fistful of Dollars is a pretty direct remake of Yojimbo. Which is funny because Kurosawa was clearly a fan of westerns and referenced them many times in Yojimbo, then his Samurai western was remade into a western (and of course Seven Samurai was remade into the Magnificent Seven.)
05-03-2017, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #147
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

And my dad always said it was rock music that would rot your brain.

05-08-2017, 03:31 AM   #148
Veteran Member

A slight change of "tack"...

A couple of quotes for you, see if you can get the movie (and stage show...)

"You're wet"
"It's raining"
"Yes..."
"Yes..."
"I think you'd better both.....come inside"

"I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey..."

"It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache..."

"If only we were amongst friends.... or sane persons!
05-08-2017, 04:25 AM - 2 Likes   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the conversation between Beatrix Kiddo and Esteban Vihaio In Kill Bill pt.2 - this scene was actually shot in a whorehouse in Mexico. Remarkably this scene was pretty much done in a single take, with Michael Parks having very limited time to rehearse giving a largely off the cuff performance - and he freaking nailed it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-08-2017 at 04:31 AM.
05-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #150
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Well, Fistful of Dollars is a pretty direct remake of Yojimbo. Which is funny because Kurosawa was clearly a fan of westerns and referenced them many times in Yojimbo, then his Samurai western was remade into a western (and of course Seven Samurai was remade into the Magnificent Seven.)
And of course, Star Wars ...

How Star Wars Borrowed From Akira Kurosawa?s Great Samurai Films | Open Culture