Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #196
Pentaxian

If this is a repeat, I apologise.

08-07-2017, 08:14 PM - 2 Likes   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Here, Queeg has asked 2 officers, Fred MacMurray and Van Johnson, to investigate some "missing strawberries".
Awesome movie! Bogey played an extremely un-Bogey-like role, and who would believe that Fred McMurray and Van Johnson could turn in such masterful performances. I guess when all the acting amazing, the director (Edward Dmytryk) deserves the credit.

My favourite scene is shown at 1:30 in this trailer:

Louis Cyphre (Robert Di Niro), who is not who he is pretending to be, says as he looks directly into Harry Angel's (Mickey Rourke) eyes, "Some religions believe the egg is a symbol of the soul", then bites into it. It is a chilling moment is a chilling adult horror movie.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-09-2017 at 08:09 PM.
08-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slightly more recent excellent scenes :

1. Baby Driver - title sequence
2. Dark Knight - disappearing pencil
3. Under the skin - the black sequences
08-22-2017, 01:12 AM - 2 Likes   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
1984's Starman, directed by John Waters, starring Jeff Bridges (oscar nominated), Karen Allen, Richard Jaeckle and Charles Martin Smith. The official trailer portrayed it as sort of a political thriller, though it was a romantic sci-fi comedy, of sorts. Also nominated for best score.

In a nutshell, Jenny Hayden has been drinking wine and watching home movies of her dead husband goofing off, and falls asleep. Meanwhile, Jeff Bridges crash lands near her house and using DNA from the husband's hair in a scrap book, recreates his body, causing Jenny to wake up.

Starman must get to Meteor Crater in Arizona to meet his mothership. As a former cartographer, I appreciated this scene.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-02-2018 at 10:25 PM.
08-24-2017, 05:18 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Awesome movie! Bogey played an extremely un-Bogey-like role, and who would believe that Fred McMurray and Van Johnson could turn in such masterful performances. I guess when all the acting amazing, the director (Edward Dmytryk) deserves the credit.

My favourite scene is shown at 1:30 in this trailer: Angel Heart (1986) TRAILER - YouTube

Louis Cyphre (Robert Di Niro), who is not who he is pretending to be, says as he looks directly into Harry Angel's (Mickey Rourke) eyes, "Some religions believe the egg is a symbol of the soul", then bites into it. It is a chilling moment is a chilling adult horror movie.
the transition from novel to film can be quite rocky

this one worked
09-06-2017, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #201
Pentaxian

Original Poster
2000's Memento, directed by Christopher Nolan starring Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss and Joe Pantoliano. It was nominated for best writing and for best editing oscars, and about 50 other awards.

In a nutshell, Guy Pearce (Leonard) is searching for the murderer of his wife, while suffering short-term memory loss after the attack.

It's a confusing movie - the color sequences move backward chronologically, while the intercut B&W flashbacks move forward.

This is the opening, which is really the end. (This is the only scene where physics actually go backward). You can drag past the credits to about the :40 mark.

This scene shows off Leonard's memory problem and how he deals with it.

Director Christopher Nolan diagrams and explains the movie in 18 minutes...

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-06-2017 at 02:15 PM.
09-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #202
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

2000's Memento, directed by Christopher Nolan starring Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss and Joe Pantoliano. It was nominated for best writing and for best editing oscars, and about 50 other awards.
I like 'Unreliable Narrator' films, and this is a great one. Nolan's later 'Inception' also depends on the difficulty of working out what's real.

02-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #203
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1985's The Quiet Earth. In a nutshell, a scientist awakens and after seeing the empty city, and a crashed jetliner with no people in the seatbelts, he believes he is the last person on earth, which was caused by a scientific power-grid experiment he and others were working on.
At first it sort of fun and games.

After some time, he starts to go a little daffy and gives this speech.

SPOILERS This is the final scene SPOILERS!
After determining "the effect" can be reversed by blowing up the power source at a particular time, he does so, then he finds himself in a new predicament.

The science in the movie is a bit weak, but the journey through an empty city (filmed on a Sunday morning) and his adventures make it an enjoyable film.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-02-2018 at 09:40 PM.
02-03-2018, 12:28 AM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raising the bar just a bit...
02-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #205
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1962's The Manchurian Candidate, starring Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey, Angela Lansbury, and James Gregory, and in this scene, a handful of notable bad guys including Reggy Nalder, Khigh Dhiegh, and Henry Silva.

This is the famous "garden club" (or "yak dung") scene. As the camera pans across the ladies, the first set of actors is rolled out and a new set with the soldiers is rolled in.

Here, Sinatra and Harvey have figured out how the bad guys are triggering Harvey, and Sinatra is trying to neutralize it. The scene is famously out of focus, but Sinatra usually was best on the first take, and the other takes were not as good.

Here, Angela Lansbury reveals the assassination plot. The incestuous kiss was intentionally covered with her hand.

SPOILER

SPOILER

This is the assassination scene. There is only a short wrap up scene after it.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-17-2018 at 12:41 PM.
02-08-2018, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #206
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1996's Sling Blade was directed by, written by, and stars, Billy Bob Thornton as Karl, a murderer who has been released from a mental hospital. It earned a best writing/screenplay oscar, and BBT was nominated for best actor. In many cases where one person has all the control it does not work well. This one does.

Excellent acting, and realistic and non-PC dialog which has a fair amount of profanity throughout.

Dwight Yoakum was perfect in the role of Doyle, the abusive boyfriend of Karl's friend. Also Mickey Jones (who died yesterday) was good, as always.

Here, the band discusses songwriting, and "the medulla oblongata of mankind". The scene continues with Doyle going off on a profanity-laced rant, breaking beer bottles and kicking everyone out.

Also surprisingly, John Ritter, who I had always though as somewhat of a boob on sitcoms, gave a masterful performance against type.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-09-2018 at 06:32 PM.
02-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any time Audrey Hepburn is on the screen is a favorite moment for me.

As far as actual movies my favorites include, All the President's Men and The Sting. Of course there is also the classic, Casablanca.

Did I mention any time Audrey Hepburn is on the screen?

02-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #208
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
As far as actual movies my favorites include, All the President's Men...Casablanca...

Casablanca was on TV, no commercials, just the other night.

All the President's Men was excellent. You might need to turn up the volume for this one. Jason Robards as editor of the Post won a supporting oscar. This movie, Taxi Driver, and Network lost best picture to... Rocky.
02-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #209
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1970's Catch-22 is a beautifully filmed WWII satire following the exploits of pilot Capt. Yossarian (Alan Arkin) based on Malta.

There are so many good scenes and quotes I can't post them all.

The opening scene sunrise/planes, merged with the first afternoon take-off. Col Cathcart (Martin Balsam) has just reminded the crew that Gen Dreedle (Orson Welles) likes a "tight bomb pattern".

Yossarian discovers he has no parachute.

Bombing the water.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-17-2018 at 01:27 PM.
02-15-2018, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #210
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

1970's Catch-22 is a beautifully filmed WWII satire following the exploits of pilot Capt. Yossarian (Alan Arkin) based on Malta.
If you haven't already, do read the novel.