Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2017, 02:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Which optical design graph for a tattoo?

Hey there, I have a question for you that might be a little unusual. I'm thinking about getting a tattoo. I want it to be related to photography but I want it to be abstract and not to obvious like i.e. a camera would be. So I stumbled upon a picture of a tattoo of an optical lens design graph.

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2014/11/image1.jpg

So my question to you is: if you were to get a tattoo like this, which lens would you choose? Your favorite lens? The most iconic Pentax lens ever made? Which one would that be in your opinion?

Thanks for your input and ideas.

04-01-2017, 02:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Hey there, I have a question for you that might be a little unusual. I'm thinking about getting a tattoo. I want it to be related to photography but I want it to be abstract and not to obvious like i.e. a camera would be. So I stumbled upon a picture of a tattoo of an optical lens design graph.

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2014/11/image1.jpg

So my question to you is: if you were to get a tattoo like this, which lens would you choose? Your favorite lens? The most iconic Pentax lens ever made? Which one would that be in your opinion?

Thanks for your input and ideas.
My favorite Pentax lens is the Takumar F 70~210mm.

tony
04-01-2017, 04:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Four Classic Normals

Comparison of Super-Takumar 8-element 50/1.4 to Minolta MD 50/1.7
(ST50 design is also on the PF Lens Review page)

Wikipedia page for

Zeiss Planar 50/4.5 designed in 1896
Zeiss Planar 50/4.5

The more modern
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4

Last edited by monochrome; 04-01-2017 at 05:10 AM.
04-02-2017, 02:51 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The FA 77 was voted in a poll in this forum as the Greatest Ever Pentax Lens.

But a tattoo is probably all about what you like, not other people.

04-02-2017, 03:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just remember... the never come off!
04-02-2017, 03:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But a tattoo is probably all about what you like, not other people.
Yes I know. Just wanted to get some input to think about. I want something related to photography and if possible something related to pentax without being to obvious. I think I'm gonna go for the FA 31, a lens I always wanted to own. Maybe I should send a picture of the finished tattoo to Ricoh in the hope they will send me a free FA 31
My favorite lens at the moment is actually the Sigma 35 Art but the optical design is to complex and wouldn't look good as a tattoo.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Just remember... the never come off!
Yup, that was the plan. I've thought about getting a tattoo for several years now so I'm sure that I really want it.
04-02-2017, 04:11 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Just be careful if you choose a Pentax optical design...

Cos if you ever decide to change brands, their jealousy for fine glass, means they'll never accept you in their gang.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-02-2017 at 04:24 AM.
04-02-2017, 06:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Just be careful if you choose a Pentax optical design...

Cos if you ever decide to change brands, their jealousy for fine glass, means they'll never accept you in their gang.

Not going to happen. Having the optical design of a Pentax lens tattooed is my way of expressing how much photography means to me and that I will be a Pentaxian forever. There is nothing that could make me change brands. I'm more of a slow photographer doing portraits, landscape, astro and light painting. So Pentax suits all my needs. And also I have somehow always been attracted to the underdog brands. I went from Atari to Apple (long before the hype), I used to drive a Saab and I shoot Pentax.
04-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

So my question to you is: if you were to get a tattoo like this, which lens would you choose?
This will inevitably lead to TBA. You will always be thinking of the next one to get.
04-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
This will inevitably lead to TBA. You will always be thinking of the next one to get.
That's what I've heard from several people now who have already gotten a tattoo. There is one thing that kept me from developing a serious LBA so far and that will also keep me from developing a TBA... simply the lack of money.

But the 31 ltd on my arm will definitely happen. I have an appointment for may 2nd. I will post a picture when it's finished.
04-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

That's what I've heard from several people now who have already gotten a tattoo. There is one thing that kept me from developing a serious LBA so far and that will also keep me from developing a TBA... simply the lack of money.

But the 31 ltd on my arm will definitely happen. I have an appointment for may 2nd. I will post a picture when it's finished.
Go for it. This is my biggest fear:
Name:  no-regrets-tattoo-i-regert-nothing.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  no-ragrets-temporary-tattoo.jpg
Views: 4201
Size:  45.5 KB
Attached Images

04-23-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Use the ink that can be blasted back to oblivion when you regret having it done. Some tattooists won't use it.

Or use ephemeral Ink (fades after a year) - or invisible ink
04-23-2017, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
or invisible ink
Isn't that the kind you heat up with a candle to see? I would "regert" that.
04-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian

A mate of mine, who looked forward to the occasional drink (when he wasn't actually drinking, you understand) had his address tattooed on his back, so he could always be delivered safely home.

Then he moved.
04-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Just my 2 cents worth....most of the people who will see your tat through the years will have no idea what it is, much less which optical formula you chose. A simple design like one of the 2 in Monochrome's post will work much better on a tattoo than a complicated design with many elements. As the years go on, the fine lines will stretch out and your body will also change, distorting the original as you gain or loose weight. Choose a design that looks good. You're going to wear it forever.