Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #16
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
That's why the Steak section of the supermarket is so important.
Steak juice.

Mmmmm . . . . . . . tasty!

04-14-2017, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
While recently shopping for sausage, I read the ingredients for "chorizo", a type of Spanish "food". The ingredients started with "salivary glands".
The salivary glands help you get a better taste of the sausage.

And it tastes you back.
04-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #18
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I have been warned cremation is out of the question, due to the danger I may explode ! One of the tracks on my funeral compilation CD for the actual service is 'Fire !', by Arthur Brown ! I'm d*mned if I'm going quietly.
I have so little blood in my alcohol system that if they cremate me the place will likely burn to the ground.
04-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #19
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
You ever walk down the super-market isle to the 'Juice section' thinking that there you will find real fruit juice. The Juice Section is usually separate from the soft-drink section, so that the average consumer's thinks they are making a wiser and healthier decision by going there and avoiding the soft-drink section all together. However, under closer inspection you will notice that 90% of juices in the so-called Juice Section are nothing but water, artificial flavoring and preservatives. Ok some may have up to 5% real fruit juice, but the rest of it is water. To make it worse that 5% is usually from concentrates which are highly processed themselves. The other day I stocked my refrigerator with such juices thinking I was doing my body a favor.

When I started reading the labels on the juice cartons, that is when I realized what I was drinking. Even "V8", who prides themselves as the alternative healthy fruit juice(You should have had a V8...) is 5% juice from concentrate, water and preservatives. Well at least V8 is 5%. Some are 3% or 2% ! Country Time Lemonade is 0% ! Yes that is zero percent fruit juice. Country Time Lemonade is also a supporter of "Alex Lemonade Stand" an organization whose mission is curing childhood cancer ?

All is not lost if you look carefully you can find some somewhat real fruit juice in the Juice Section, but you might have better luck in the Dairy Section, the Organic Section, or if you make it yourself....
There is real fruit juice available. One only needs to look at the label. And yes, 90% of the garbage on the supermarket shelves is loaded with high fructose corn syrup, sugar (as if the corn syrup isn't enough), and a list of stuff I can't pronounce and won't pretend to know what it is.

Since last September and the pancreatitis episode my diet has changed drastically. No more milk, not even skim. Very limited cheese, no butter (and margarine sucks). I only get red meat once or twice a month and it has to be very lean.

All the fish I want.

A little pork and poultry.

Veggies and fruit.

And fruit juice.

I have found apple cider (unfiltered) on the shelf that has nothing added and is only pasteurized for 'my safety'. There is also orange juice (I prefer the 'most pulp' kind) that is not from concentrate. Cherry juice, pure, and not from concentrate, but blended with apple and grape juice ( think to temper and sweeten the cherry juice). Grape juice, both white and purple(?). Sometimes even clear apple juice.

So there is a little variety, without getting sucked in to the high priced designer 'juices' that are like something Jack LaLane whipped up back in the 1960's.

04-14-2017, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69:
Cherry juice
I've visited your part of the country twice and one thing I learned while there is that it isn't possible for me to eat enough Rainier cherries to not want more.
04-14-2017, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've visited your part of the country twice and one thing I learned while there is that it isn't possible for me to eat enough Rainier cherries to not want more.
I know the feeling. Unfortunately, an age-related condition compels me to only eat more than 4 cherries within rapid access range of a certain rather small room ...
04-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

They are good, huh?

When my family lived in Silverton, Oregon there was a huge rainier cherry tree in the yard. I would climb it (I was about 12 or 13) and sit on a branch eating cherries for hours.

04-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
...I have found apple cider (unfiltered) on the shelf that has nothing added and is only pasteurized for 'my safety'....
it really is for your safety

when I worked the rural area west of here one of the small dairy operations sold raw milk to amateur cheesemakers

a family of one spent a harrowing weekend in the hospital after drinking the milk instead of cheesing it

that said, I spent many summers drinking milk, freshly squeezed, straight from the cow
04-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
that said, I spent many summers drinking milk, freshly squeezed, straight from the cow
Me too, even squeezed a few gallons myself.

The thing is, when handled properly, raw milk is safe, and better than processed. Millions of people survived hundreds of years on fresh cow's milk.
04-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. I'm pretty sure cows, and milk drinking, predate Mr. Pasteur.
04-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #26

Does milk can e counted as Juice? I guess not, but it's the best drink ever. If we do not count drinking water then milk is the best liquid form of all liquids.
04-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

And real milk comes from animals, not nuts, fruits, or plants.

When I was younger I once dreamed that I was born to Dolly Pardon, and was a bottle baby
04-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Yep. I'm pretty sure cows, and milk drinking, predate Mr. Pasteur.
unfortunately so did tuberculosis

---------- Post added 04-14-17 at 10:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Me too, even squeezed a few gallons myself.

The thing is, when handled properly, raw milk is safe, and better than processed. Millions of people survived hundreds of years on fresh cow's milk.
me too

but it was separated and cooled vey quickly as I recall
the cream went to town and almost everything else was cooked with milk
it didn't sit around very long

the problem, as I see it, is so many people have distanced themselves from the food chain that they are ignorant of the consequences of careless eating and drinking
like so many things in life this an IQ test one can't afford to fail
04-14-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #29
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shaun Quote
Does milk can e counted as Juice? I guess not, but it's the best drink ever. If we do not count drinking water then milk is the best liquid form of all liquids.
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

When I was younger I once dreamed that I was born to Dolly Pardon, and was a bottle baby
04-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

We all have these dreams...