Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Minnesota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,412
Real Juice

You ever walk down the super-market isle to the 'Juice section' thinking that there you will find real fruit juice. The Juice Section is usually separate from the soft-drink section, so that the average consumer's thinks they are making a wiser and healthier decision by going there and avoiding the soft-drink section all together. However, under closer inspection you will notice that 90% of juices in the so-called Juice Section are nothing but water, artificial flavoring and preservatives. Ok some may have up to 5% real fruit juice, but the rest of it is water. To make it worse that 5% is usually from concentrates which are highly processed themselves. The other day I stocked my refrigerator with such juices thinking I was doing my body a favor.

When I started reading the labels on the juice cartons, that is when I realized what I was drinking. Even "V8", who prides themselves as the alternative healthy fruit juice(You should have had a V8...) is 5% juice from concentrate, water and preservatives. Well at least V8 is 5%. Some are 3% or 2% ! Country Time Lemonade is 0% ! Yes that is zero percent fruit juice. Country Time Lemonade is also a supporter of "Alex Lemonade Stand" an organization whose mission is curing childhood cancer ?

All is not lost if you look carefully you can find some somewhat real fruit juice in the Juice Section, but you might have better luck in the Dairy Section, the Organic Section, or if you make it yourself....


Last edited by hjoseph7; 04-13-2017 at 04:58 AM.
04-12-2017, 07:09 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,074
That's one reason why I drink bourbon with breakfast.
04-13-2017, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,167
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
That's one reason why I drink bourbon with breakfast.
Good choice.
Federal law sets what criteria must be met for a spirit to be called bourbon. Apparently anything can be called juice.
04-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,169
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Good choice.
Federal law sets what criteria must be met for a spirit to be called bourbon. Apparently anything can be called juice.
Up here, all we have to watch out for is the "from concentrate" on the label. The other stuff, mostly water and sugar, is called "cocktail" on grocers' shelves.

04-13-2017, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,167
Really?
I've never seen bourbon from concentrate.

Oh, wait.

Nevermind....


04-13-2017, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
bxf
Pentaxian
bxf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lisbon area
Posts: 1,358
Back to juice...

Current wisdom states that even real, unsweetened juice should be consumed in moderation, because the total of the sugar contained in all the fruit it takes to make one glass of juice is not insignificant. One would not normally consume that much fruit at a time.

Best not to eat or drink anything...
04-14-2017, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
sherrvonne's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,950
That's why the Steak section of the supermarket is so important.
04-14-2017, 01:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,686
I mostly stick to coffee and water. I've seen bottles of expensive "juice" at the market. I'll check a label or two next through for fun.

While recently shopping for sausage, I read the ingredients for "chorizo", a type of Spanish "food". The ingredients started with "salivary glands".

04-14-2017, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian
35mmfilmfan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 871
I am proud to say I always carefully monitor what I eat and drink.

If it doesn't crawl off the plate, I'll eat it. If it still moves in the glass, I'll drink it. Surely consuming preservatives will help me live longer - if it works on the food, it must work on me, right ?

04-14-2017, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,074
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
While recently shopping for sausage, I read the ingredients for "chorizo", a type of Spanish "food". The ingredients started with "salivary glands"
Sounds tasty!
04-14-2017, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,400
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
That's one reason why I drink bourbon with breakfast.
when I still drank , champagne was my favorite breakfast tipple and I believe it breaks the 5% real juice barrier

---------- Post added 04-14-17 at 05:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I mostly stick to coffee and water. I've seen bottles of expensive "juice" at the market. I'll check a label or two next through for fun.

While recently shopping for sausage, I read the ingredients for "chorizo", a type of Spanish "food". The ingredients started with "salivary glands".
sausage is not a thinking person's food...it's an eating person's food
because if you think about it...you won't eat it

seriously, I've made sausage from "real" meat and helped to make it from whatever fit in the grinder...they taste the same

---------- Post added 04-14-17 at 05:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I am proud to say I always carefully monitor what I eat and drink.

If it doesn't crawl off the plate, I'll eat it. If it still moves in the glass, I'll drink it. Surely consuming preservatives will help me live longer - if it works on the food, it must work on me, right ?

that is a very brave and practical approach

my son's girlfriend is of the opinion that I won't need to be embalmed after death because of my careless diet
she, however, will be reincorporated into the environment in a timelier, more benign fashion by way of her organic and natural approach to food consumption

kids!

Last edited by ccc_; 04-14-2017 at 05:48 AM.
04-14-2017, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian
35mmfilmfan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 871
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
my son's girlfriend is of the opinion that I won't need to be embalmed after death because of my careless diet
she, however, will be reincorporated into the environment in a timelier, more benign fashion by way of her organic and natural approach to food consumption
I have been warned cremation is out of the question, due to the danger I may explode ! One of the tracks on my funeral compilation CD for the actual service is 'Fire !', by Arthur Brown ! I'm d*mned if I'm going quietly.
04-14-2017, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #13
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,167
The mortality rate of those who exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet is exactly the same as for those who don't.
04-14-2017, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian
35mmfilmfan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 871
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The mortality rate of those who exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet is exactly the same as for those who don't.
Precisely - exactly 100%
04-14-2017, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,400
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I have been warned cremation is out of the question, due to the danger I may explode ! One of the tracks on my funeral compilation CD for the actual service is 'Fire !', by Arthur Brown ! I'm d*mned if I'm going quietly.
it is the ratio of gases to liquids that cause an explosion versus a burn

fill up and request a timely incineration

better yet go for a Viking funeral
that should get the neighbors talking
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
approach, coffee, country, cow, cream, drink, food, fruit, fun, half, juice, lemonade, love, milk, people, post, sausage, section, time, water
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Berry Juice.......... eaglem Post Your Photos! 6 05-25-2015 08:47 AM
Misc The Thing in My Apple Juice Tamia Post Your Photos! 18 03-21-2015 06:16 AM
People Charlie offers juice! 45 Mike Post Your Photos! 5 02-25-2014 08:21 AM
Nature I thought Orange Juice was on the inside...... eaglem Post Your Photos! 13 07-24-2013 03:41 AM
People Girl with apple juice Speedsjarken Post Your Photos! 12 03-11-2011 08:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top