Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Real Juice

You ever walk down the super-market isle to the 'Juice section' thinking that there you will find real fruit juice. The Juice Section is usually separate from the soft-drink section, so that the average consumer's thinks they are making a wiser and healthier decision by going there and avoiding the soft-drink section all together. However, under closer inspection you will notice that 90% of juices in the so-called Juice Section are nothing but water, artificial flavoring and preservatives. Ok some may have up to 5% real fruit juice, but the rest of it is water. To make it worse that 5% is usually from concentrates which are highly processed themselves. The other day I stocked my refrigerator with such juices thinking I was doing my body a favor.

When I started reading the labels on the juice cartons, that is when I realized what I was drinking. Even "V8", who prides themselves as the alternative healthy fruit juice(You should have had a V8...) is 5% juice from concentrate, water and preservatives. Well at least V8 is 5%. Some are 3% or 2% ! Country Time Lemonade is 0% ! Yes that is zero percent fruit juice. Country Time Lemonade is also a supporter of "Alex Lemonade Stand" an organization whose mission is curing childhood cancer ?

All is not lost if you look carefully you can find some somewhat real fruit juice in the Juice Section, but you might have better luck in the Dairy Section, the Organic Section, or if you make it yourself....

Last edited by hjoseph7; 04-13-2017 at 04:58 AM.
04-12-2017, 07:09 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's one reason why I drink bourbon with breakfast.
04-13-2017, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Good choice.
Federal law sets what criteria must be met for a spirit to be called bourbon. Apparently anything can be called juice.
04-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Good choice.
Federal law sets what criteria must be met for a spirit to be called bourbon. Apparently anything can be called juice.
Up here, all we have to watch out for is the "from concentrate" on the label. The other stuff, mostly water and sugar, is called "cocktail" on grocers' shelves.

04-13-2017, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Really?
I've never seen bourbon from concentrate.

Oh, wait.

Nevermind....

04-13-2017, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
bxf
Veteran Member

Back to juice...

Current wisdom states that even real, unsweetened juice should be consumed in moderation, because the total of the sugar contained in all the fruit it takes to make one glass of juice is not insignificant. One would not normally consume that much fruit at a time.

Best not to eat or drink anything...
04-14-2017, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

That's why the Steak section of the supermarket is so important.

04-14-2017, 01:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I mostly stick to coffee and water. I've seen bottles of expensive "juice" at the market. I'll check a label or two next through for fun.

While recently shopping for sausage, I read the ingredients for "chorizo", a type of Spanish "food". The ingredients started with "salivary glands".
04-14-2017, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

I am proud to say I always carefully monitor what I eat and drink.

If it doesn't crawl off the plate, I'll eat it. If it still moves in the glass, I'll drink it. Surely consuming preservatives will help me live longer - if it works on the food, it must work on me, right ?

04-14-2017, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
While recently shopping for sausage, I read the ingredients for "chorizo", a type of Spanish "food". The ingredients started with "salivary glands"
Sounds tasty!
04-14-2017, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
when I still drank , champagne was my favorite breakfast tipple and I believe it breaks the 5% real juice barrier

---------- Post added 04-14-17 at 05:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I mostly stick to coffee and water. I've seen bottles of expensive "juice" at the market. I'll check a label or two next through for fun.

While recently shopping for sausage, I read the ingredients for "chorizo", a type of Spanish "food". The ingredients started with "salivary glands".
sausage is not a thinking person's food...it's an eating person's food
because if you think about it...you won't eat it

seriously, I've made sausage from "real" meat and helped to make it from whatever fit in the grinder...they taste the same

---------- Post added 04-14-17 at 05:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I am proud to say I always carefully monitor what I eat and drink.

If it doesn't crawl off the plate, I'll eat it. If it still moves in the glass, I'll drink it. Surely consuming preservatives will help me live longer - if it works on the food, it must work on me, right ?

that is a very brave and practical approach

my son's girlfriend is of the opinion that I won't need to be embalmed after death because of my careless diet
she, however, will be reincorporated into the environment in a timelier, more benign fashion by way of her organic and natural approach to food consumption

kids!

Last edited by ccc_; 04-14-2017 at 05:48 AM.
04-14-2017, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
my son's girlfriend is of the opinion that I won't need to be embalmed after death because of my careless diet
she, however, will be reincorporated into the environment in a timelier, more benign fashion by way of her organic and natural approach to food consumption
I have been warned cremation is out of the question, due to the danger I may explode ! One of the tracks on my funeral compilation CD for the actual service is 'Fire !', by Arthur Brown ! I'm d*mned if I'm going quietly.
04-14-2017, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The mortality rate of those who exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet is exactly the same as for those who don't.
04-14-2017, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The mortality rate of those who exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet is exactly the same as for those who don't.
Precisely - exactly 100%
04-14-2017, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I have been warned cremation is out of the question, due to the danger I may explode ! One of the tracks on my funeral compilation CD for the actual service is 'Fire !', by Arthur Brown ! I'm d*mned if I'm going quietly.
it is the ratio of gases to liquids that cause an explosion versus a burn

fill up and request a timely incineration

better yet go for a Viking funeral
that should get the neighbors talking