Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Really unhappy with KEH customer service

I've been trying to get an answer out of them for weeks, called them a few times concerning touching elements on my lens. They asked for pictures of the problem which I've obliged, and despite them saying they'd get back to me they never did. And whenever I try to get in touch with a supervisor they never seem to be there. I'm not too sure I'll be ordering from these guys again. I can't even get a straight answer for my warranty.

This is a shame because only a couple years ago their customer service was excellent.

04-27-2017, 12:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've been trying to get an answer out of them for weeks, called them a few times concerning touching elements on my lens. They asked for pictures of the problem which I've obliged, and despite them saying they'd get back to me they never did. And whenever I try to get in touch with a supervisor they never seem to be there. I'm not too sure I'll be ordering from these guys again. I can't even get a straight answer for my warranty.

This is a shame because only a couple years ago their customer service was excellent.
I'd just follow the return/refund instructions and move on.
04-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'd just follow the return/refund instructions and move on.
I'd rather not have to pay for shipping/restocking fees...
04-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder what happened to them. They had been really great to work with in the past although I was just buying and talking to someone about a purchase and not trying to work out an issue.

04-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It doesn't take but one time getting'Stung' by them to reconsider your buying choices. Mine was a Digital body, rated EX+, came with a none functioning shutter button, and debri (Chunks) on the sensor and mirror box. Only solution offered was refund with me paying return shipping and no refund of original shipping. You're better off buying Gear here in the marketplace. At least with paypal you have options.

Dana
04-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, something must have changed, or I've been lucky four times; my K-5 II and M 50 1.4 came from KEH. My sister's Canon SL1 and Tamron 17-50 are from there as well. I've also picked up little stuff like caps and a neck strap. All have been working great, came as described if not better, and the whole thing was easy as pie.

Very odd and sad.
04-28-2017, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Managed to finally get in touch with someone higher up, I managed to get a free shipping label and RMA instructions to get the lens looked at. They really need to improve communication.

04-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my experience KEH customer service has always been just adequate.
They do have a large inventory and not much staff for their sales volume.
IMO this is understandable given what I'd guess is a much lower profit margin
than retailers selling mainly new equipment. I'd give them a pass in this case.

Chris
04-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always had good experiences with KEH but it's been a couple of years since I had to call customer service or return anything. Much of their success has been due to the fact that they are considered the best and safest place to buy used gear. I hope this is just a random error by an employee that lost a memo or message and not an overall policy change.
06-24-2017, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #10

I recently ordered an inexpensive lens from them to go on my ME Super, but the mount turned out to be too small to be a K Mount. When I called them, they gentleman I talked to told me he would issue me a refund and to just recycle the lens as it wasn't worth paying for shipping back and the refund was issued before I got home from work. I didn't expect much from a $9 lens but their customer service was excellent for me.
12-13-2017, 02:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

In my opinion, KEH's rating system is unreliable. They have not refunded my costs for shipping when their description was completely wrong.
Images from actual items for sale do not exist.

Paul

---------- Post added 12-13-17 at 02:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
In my experience KEH customer service has always been just adequate.
They do have a large inventory and not much staff for their sales volume.
IMO this is understandable given what I'd guess is a much lower profit margin
than retailers selling mainly new equipment. I'd give them a pass in this case.

Chris
Trust me KEH operates with a healthy profit margin.

Paul

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-13-2017 at 03:19 PM.
12-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jnmullins Quote
I recently ordered an inexpensive lens from them to go on my ME Super, but the mount turned out to be too small to be a K Mount. When I called them, they gentleman I talked to told me he would issue me a refund and to just recycle the lens as it wasn't worth paying for shipping back and the refund was issued before I got home from work. I didn't expect much from a $9 lens but their customer service was excellent for me.
This has been my experience as well when the wrong item was shipped and the original cost was low or moderate.

I am not a huge customer, though over the last decade or so, my receipts would probably total several thousand dollars. I have had a couple of items where condition was not as described and a couple that were not working properly and a couple where the wrong item was shipped (Adaptall mount adapters) and each time the return and/or refund was cheerfully and quickly provided.

In regards to condition ratings, this I have noticed:
  • Accuracy equivalent to Adorama or B&H pre-owned overall
  • Condition has often much better than rated, particularly for vintage
  • Pro gear seems to be judged to a different standard with moderate wear being the norm except if listed as LN- or LN

My only beef is that prices seem to be rather steep in the last year or so and inventory for things I am interested in has been scant.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-13-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typos
12-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've been trying to get an answer out of them for weeks, called them a few times concerning touching elements on my lens.
Out of curiosity, what does this mean?

Steve
12-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Out of curiosity, what does this mean?

Steve
When at minimum focusing distance the floating element touches one of the fixed elements at the front ever so slightly causing a grease like pattern on the lens.. Doesn't seem to impact image quality but was concerning.

When they brought the lens back in they reevaluated it and gave it the as-is rating. They refunded me and let me repurchase it for 17 dollars, and for a lens like the 17-50, even if it were to explode that's a pretty sweet deal. So I guess I could say it ended up pretty ok.
12-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've bought many items from KEH, going back 20 years or so. Until the past year or so, roughly coinciding with the radical revamping of their website, I'd been very pleased with them; the gear was very conservatively rated, any minor problems I had were handled rapidly and fairly. I gather that the company was sold, and it would seem that the new owners "fixed" things, both the website and apparently their fix included degrading their rating standards. Prior to the change I recall ordering a LX in Bargain condition - it had a little brassing, a few scratches on the baseplate, and was dusty. Worked perfectly, and the price was right!

I find the new website far inferior to the old. I wonder what sort of user experiences with the new site were checked. Back in the day I built two HeathKit color TV sets. Heath when they developed a kit gave a "beta" version to a total newby in soldering, etc. If the tyro could succeed the kit was ready. Pity that KEH apparently ignored a ready focus group, their customer base.

Talking with a sales rep he said that there'd been many complaints about the website from customers, but of course he couldn't elaborate. Several recent orders have been uneventful, the way I like things. Still, I don't have the trust in KEH that I once had.