Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Johnv3 - I agree if all you need is a web browsing , E-mailing, ocassional word processing Laptop then you are correct I could do well with a $700 - and I may go that route as all I really want this machine for is travel. (so small)

However - I spend all day on the Laptop - running 10 - 15 apps almost constantly - the wait and delay would cause undue grief , and would lead to a third and long situtation (that is a Canadian Football expression - i.e. Punt !). Even though it it a travel laptop there could be occassions where I would need to be on it all day.

I work on them all day , almost every day - I would glady double, triple the price for half the wait - but I totally agree $400 - $800 laptops indeed have a use.

08-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #32

Dave: It sounds like you may be running some heavy duty number crunching applications and maybe even at the same time. I don't have any of those but even Photoshop works in a blink of the eye. I've built several desktop machines using the slowest and the fastest processors and I have never noticed a speed difference running any applications (no games or number crunching engineering types).

BTW, 3rd and long is also an American football term and a situation the AZ Cardinals see quite often.

John
08-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnV3 Quote
<snip> BTW, 3rd and long is also an American football term and a situation the AZ Cardinals see quite often.<snip>
John

Johnn not so much number crunhing as resource hogs (memory / disk ) - Oracle tools no need to say more haha but nothing to hard on the CPU (maybe CS3) - and yeah football is football (we have one less down, wider field ,a few other differences) but I'll bet the Cardinals raley punt on 3rd and long ! I am no rush to buy so I'll wait it out.....unless I see a deal I can't refuse. I wish we could some of the US prices - most rebates / deals are US based again the 300 vs 30 million consumers waht ya gonna do ....
08-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Don't you mean Lenovo? IBM has quit the laptop manufacturing business. Lenovo takes care of that now.
Indeed, I just still always think of them as IBM since they kept the ThinkPad name.

Bob

08-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #35
MrA

For photo editing, Lenovo have just announced a new w500 and w700 line of laptops, aimed squarely at photographers/visual artists. With the w700, they are making a particular thing of a new screen, claiming it can display 75% of the AdobeRGB gamut (most other laptops are less than 45% they say).

Trouble is, the w700 is a 17" monster of a machine. I'm trying to find out if the 15.4" w500 will have the same screen as an option, since I'm in the market for a laptop myself - just not one quite as high end as the w700. I mean, it has a built in wacom digitiser and auto colour calibration for the screen!

Google will undoubtedly yield you further information, should you be interested.
08-18-2008, 03:38 AM   #36

Dell just released a line of laptops that do 100% of Adobe RGB colour gamut, kind of took the wind out of Lenovo's sails.

Unless you need the Wacom tablet on the Lenovo.

Dell would be significantly cheaper too.
08-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Unfortunately 15" is too big. Unless one needs critical editing in the field (in which case you have to worry about calibration, ambient light etc.) I suggest a smaller laptop for portability and the best monitor you can afford on your desk at home.

09-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Closure .....

Well just to add closer to this thread.... I did it - and I caved and went for the 17 in Monitor (I am not really a road warrior). I can suck it up for the 3 or 4 plane trips a year and my eyes will appreciate the 17 inch ...

Dell XPS M1730, Intel Core 2 Duo T8300(2.4GHz, 800Mhz, 3M L2 Cache)
4GB Ram
Upgrade Video Card / Monitor / 320gb 7200 rpm HD / 9 cell battery / yada yada

It was fun two of us wanted one so we talked to separate sales rep and just played them off - best deal won! Got $110 discount (aside from the regular discounts ) - just for asking so remember if you are buying just before the final sale ask for a discount, all they can say is no (and one said no so we went with the other )

Went with XP Pro (a work thing...) but have Vista Ultimate CD - I may dual boot for a while ... (if the license agreement allows me if not oh well upgrade later at some point or do the Windows 2008 thing when it’s ready)

Spent a little more than I wanted.. but hey aside from all the work crap Photoshop should hum (for the first 6 months anyway until the lappy gets bogged down with crap!)

Thanks for advice all.
09-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #39

That is a dream machine. Very impressive specs especially the 7200 rpm hard drive. One doesn't see that very often. Best of luck and enjoy the crotch rocket.

John
09-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
in fact I have a red green deficiency

RedGreen

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Thank you
Russell
09-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks John - yes it will be the best machine I own which is the nature of computers each one you buy is the best. It should be good for a couple years then it become a boat anchor once again , but I will enjpoy it's fleeting moment in the sun. Small and light it is not !

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
RedGreen

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Thank you
Russell
And I do !! I am more of a Trailer Park Boys kinda guy
09-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I need (need may be overstating it) - smaller computer. I think my eyes are just not good enough for a 13.x or 14.x so I am leaning towards a 15.4.

My current thoughts are Dell XPS or the newer Studio (which from I understand is between the Inpiron and XPS). I have configured a few and a decent one looks to be around $1.6k give or take.

I am in Canada - there is an HP at Costco for < $1k - I tend to over anaylze my needs. I want it small enough for travel - run work stuff (none of which is erally resource intensive). Probably lightroon or CS3 would be the most demanding app. Big Hard drive 4gb ram nice screeen is what I am after.

In all liklyehood whatever I get I will trash the factory set up and install XP as most of the stuff I need for work is iffy on Vista.

So thoughts ? Suggestions ?

thx.........dy
Dave

I bought a dell inspiron 1521 last year for about the target price you have listed.

You should look into them, as they come well supported. The only issue wyou will have is delivery. At this time of year, the new computers sold for kids entering university puts a delay on delivery. it will take about 5 weeks.
09-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #43
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I need (need may be overstating it) - smaller computer. I think my eyes are just not good enough for a 13.x or 14.x so I am leaning towards a 15.4.

My current thoughts are Dell XPS or the newer Studio (which from I understand is between the Inpiron and XPS). I have configured a few and a decent one looks to be around $1.6k give or take.
I'm sorry to say, most [note: emphasis, meaning not all, and not if you're willing to pay] affordable laptops with even just a 15" screen today anr no longer the 3:4 aspect but are wide angle, and don't go above 900 vertical pixels. That is just too small these days IMO. To replace a business computer that's becoming unstable, I opted for the IBM X61t [Tablet] that got me a 1400x1050 screen after perhaps doznes of hours looking @ what's out there. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't attest to its screens suitability for PP work... probably won't be adequate.

I recently bought a Dell 17" Inspiron before that for my wife that I've pretty much commandeered[!] -- which has since dovetailed into the Studio 17 -- and I upgraded to the 1900x1200 pixel screen... whoa! I love using Lightroom on it to pp my photos. Highly recommended. And I see you did good!!!
09-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks m8o and Lowell however my need for small and lightwiegth somehow turnned into Huge and Heavy .. should be here end of the month looking forward to it ! I am an independant consutlant and September is year for me ....I have another friend in the same buisness more or less and same year end (we actually worked together for several years , went independant together , and are now working together again) - we both kinda splurged but what the heck ..... I will regret it after the accountant does the books.