Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How much to spend on a co-worker's son graduation present-input please

I have been invited to a graduation for a co-worker's son. I like the co-worker and I have met his son and he is a good kid. He is going to my alma mater so the father thought it would be good to invite me to the party and I agree with that.

How much should I give him for a present is the question. I am professionally employed and have worked in the same department at the same company as the father for nearly six years. I am giving the son a gift certificate to a restaurant by campus.

$25, $35, $50???

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

05-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I have been invited to a graduation for a co-worker's son. I like the co-worker and I have met his son and he is a good kid. He is going to my alma mater so the father thought it would be good to invite me to the party and I agree with that.

How much should I give him for a present is the question. I am professionally employed and have worked in the same department at the same company as the father for nearly six years. I am giving the son a gift certificate to a restaurant by campus.

$25, $35, $50???

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
I believe it is pretty darn nice of you to do something for the young man. It has been my experience, that the more that is presented, the less likelihood of forgetting it. Again, kudos to you for considering anything. Great going. As the Aussies would say, "Good on you." )

Tony
05-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It isn't the dollar amount, it's what you can purchase* with the gift certificate that matters. What does a full dinner for two (no alcohol, includes desert) at that restaurant cost?

* If it were me I would use the same money to purchase a thoughtful, personal, lasting gift - a dresser top tray or leather item or engraved silver money clip or the like.
05-13-2017, 03:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I like monochrome's idea...perhaps something with the school emblem or seal.

My 2 cents worth.....good luck.

05-13-2017, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Is he graduating from high school or university?

If high school, is it a big deal? If not, why buy anything?

Crikey, I didn't even buy my kids anything for graduating high school or my daughter for graduating (twice) from university so I wouldn't buy for someone else.
05-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What does a full dinner for two (no alcohol, includes dessert)
NO ALCOHOL ????? What kind of gift is that ?? Get him a bottle of JD or JB !!
05-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I asked my son to imagine that he is high schooler again, what gift card would he like to receive. He told right away- gift card for amazon, because every teen buys something from amazon.
$25, or $50- it's up to you.
Just his two cents

05-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
I like monochrome's idea...perhaps something with the school emblem or seal.
That is a good idea...two good ideas actually!

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
s he graduating from high school or university?

If high school, is it a big deal? If not, why buy anything?

Crikey, I didn't even buy my kids anything for graduating high school or my daughter for graduating (twice) from university so I wouldn't buy for someone else.
I bet your kids were thrilled not to get anything for their achievements? That kind of encouragement is what spurs young people on to higher goals in life, no doubt about it???

I still have the very nice little engraved pen/pencil set my neighbors dad gave me when I graduated High School...and recall his congratulations. Most likely it was his appreciation that I would be moving on and no longer corrupting my buddy, his son. But...it was still very thoughtful!

Regards!

Here is a little "Rupert Story" relating to rewards/achievement......maybe worth telling.

Our oldest grandson was failing in the 8th grade, barely passed to go forward. Very intelligent, very industrious and with a charismatic personality. Family personal problems had plagued his life (divorce separation from his dad off in the Army in foreign nations etc)
We had half custody of him and his brother, so I felt a responsibility to give some guidance and direction to his life...starting with good grades in school
I made him a deal the following Fall before school started. A's & B's will get you $15. at the end of the first six week grading.
Straight A's will get you $25. Going forward at the end of every six weeks. same deal, but double the dollar amounts. Keep doubling he new amonts until you slip backwards, and then we will stat it over.

Cost me a bundle over time, but he never made anything less that an A from that point forward. At age 26 he is the youngest operations/personnel manager,over twelve regional banks, for one of the largest banks in America. Currently completing a Masters degree in finance and PR. He never fails to mention that this changed his life.....actually, he changed his life, I just gave him some direction and motivation.

Not everyone is motivated by money or things...but everyone is motivated by something. Appreciation is one of them!

Regards!
05-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I appreciated the input and I got him a GC for a restaurant he tried and liked while he was in town visiting the school. His dad thought that was a good idea too. It is a pizza place so I looked at large pizza, a couple of soft drinks and a few bucks on top of that for tax and tip.
05-15-2017, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I bet your kids were thrilled not to get anything for their achievements? That kind of encouragement is what spurs young people on to higher goals in life, no doubt about it???
I just remembered my son didn't graduate, he left school after Year 10 to get an apprenticeship with a mechanic. My daughter some years ago graduated as a nurse and a year back as a doctor. I told her I was very proud of her. What more should she want - a trophy for participating?

Last edited by p38arover; 05-15-2017 at 01:31 AM.
05-15-2017, 03:24 AM - 2 Likes   #11

Do what I do Nothing for the main gift for them from me is the sheer pleasure of my presents . Like p38arover I gave my kids nothing for finishing school uni etc .My god I got nothing other than a well done .
I think people expect too many things for every thing in like
05-15-2017, 04:18 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every player does not need to win a prize, and a token gift means nothing.

You were invited for your experience of the institution, so I would have taken the kid aside and chatted about his course, goals and if there was anything I could do with regard to advice or introductions.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 05-15-2017 at 04:24 AM.
05-15-2017, 04:24 AM   #13
bxf
Veteran Member

This is always the debate: on one side you have the argument that people need to be encouraged in order to be motivated. On the other hand, you have the argument that excessive, undeserved praise leads to unrealistic expectations for minimal effort.

This debate ignores the fact that different people may react differently to each of the above strategies. There is no foolproof answer to the question without knowing the target's personality.
05-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
This is always the debate: on one side you have the argument that people need to be encouraged in order to be motivated. On the other hand, you have the argument that excessive, undeserved praise leads to unrealistic expectations for minimal effort.

This debate ignores the fact that different people may react differently to each of the above strategies. There is no foolproof answer to the question without knowing the target's personality.
Well said. Life is not a "one size fits all" affair. Thinking it is, and "my way" is the only way accounts for most of the problems in this troubled world.

For your intelligent reply and thoughtful insight, Otis Squirrel is proud to honor you with one of his highest awards.
He has also seen fit to upgrade your status to Site Supporter with all of the accompanying benefits! He hopes his small gift to you encourages you to continue your wise contributions to the conversations at PForums!

Otis himself thanks all of those that gifted him on his rise to fame and power......not least of all those old ladies in the neighborhood that continue to fill their bird feeders daily so young squirrels can train on all the various methods to rob them!

Best Regards!
Rupert....& Otis Squirrel
05-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Crikey, I didn't even buy my kids anything for graduating high school
That's really showing appreciation!

For my 8th grade graduation, my mom gave me a watch, I still have it. For high school graduation, a nice cedar chest, which I also still have & use. I'm glad that my accomplishments were acknowledged; made them even more special.

For the OP, a Gift card seems appropriate.