Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do You Ever . . .

. . . Wonder Who?

Who outbid you for that piece of Pentax kit on Ebay. Was it someone who is part of Pentax Forums? Someone who replied to one of your posts? Someone whose post you replied to? Someone whose stuff you always read?

I know it is silly, but I thought about this the other day when I lost an auction on a bellows. Some dastardly person had the audacity to outbid me! It was a nice bellows, in good condition. I wanted that bellows. Curses, Bellows Buyer!

So yeah. If it is Pentax camera stuff, I do wonder who. And I hope if it is someone from this forum that they don't post a gloat about their "find" in such a way that I recognize my loss.

05-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I had that happen to me once on KEH. Unfortunately for me, I posted a link to the lens I was asking about and when I went to buy it, it was already sold and it wasn't that long after I posted the link here. So, I learned a lesson then. Don't post a link to what you want otherwise others will out buy you or outbid you.
05-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I just wonder whether whoever outbid me realises how much they have damaged their Karma, and whether they will enjoy being re-incarnated as a Banana Slug (with thanks to Rajesh Koothrappali)
05-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I usually go after the "make an offer" posts.

I've been outbid by too many buyers that have low purchase numbers, with 100% from the person selling.

05-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

On the bay I use "buy it now" instead of auctions.
05-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've never wondered about who outbid me.
But I have regretted not making one more bid!
(That of course is why some spend too much on stuff because of the "one more bid might win it" syndrome).
05-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Some dastardly person had the audacity to outbid me!
That is always disappointing Don. Just a quick question for you though, do you " snipe " at the end, or put in a maximum bid at the start with a price that you will not exceed and let the automatic bidding work for you?

05-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
That is always disappointing Don. Just a quick question for you though, do you " snipe " at the end, or put in a maximum bid at the start with a price that you will not exceed and let the automatic bidding work for you?
I have just recently started the bidding thing. Up until now anything from EBay was a "buy it now" thing.

I don't have any desire (or the attention span ) to sit in front of the computer during the final minutes of the auction. I just put in a maximum bid, let EBay increment the bids, and hope for the best.

Don
05-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #9
Closed Account

I don't have any desire (or the attention span ) to sit in front of the computer during the final minutes of the auction. I just put in a maximum bid, let EBay increment the bids, and hope for the best.
This the way I bid also Don, and my reasons are the same !! Good luck with your next try.
05-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have just recently started the bidding thing. Up until now anything from EBay was a "buy it now" thing.

Don
To snipe you just tell the sniper your maximum bid and it bids for you in the last seconds. It does often work.

I think the prevalence of sniping is one reason for the decline in the proportions of auctions on ebay. (Not to mention the high fees. And the scams. And the bias towards buyers in dispute resolution.)

To answer your original question I once had a very pleasant exchange here with someone who turned out to be the losing bidder in the auction in which I got the FA 43. Good karma all round.
05-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I put my bid in near the end manually. Auction theory suggests that if no one knows any of the other bids, putting in your max price at any time is the best strategy in a second highest price auction like Ebay. The problem is, people do know what the second highest bid is at all times. Therefore human psychology comes into play and bidding early could drive up the price. So I just bid at the last couple seconds with my max price.

I think auctions are fun. I've won and lost. It's not a big deal.