Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone here using NOD 32 anti virus software? A new message is appearing here.

First time this happens: NOD 32 anti virus has started to show a message just today (for the very first time) stating that there is a problem with IE 11 regarding a "non approved certificate".
I am enclosing a print screen of this message, unfortunately it is in French.
I could always translate it but perhaps someone can figure it out without translation ... ?? Of course, I will translate if needed.
There are two clikable buttons which "offer" to either block or authorize the communication ... what should I do?
I clicked on "Bloquer" (block) each time so far when it happens.

And I also wonder why this is showing now for the first time ever.

And yes, I did a disk cleanup and a virus check: nothing showing as "infected".

Thanks !!

Edit (new info): on the line that reads: " Application: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (PID 2896) " , the PID number keeps changing each time the message appears ... such as PID 2736, 3672, 2372 ... and on and on.

Attached Images

Last edited by jpzk; 05-28-2017 at 07:08 PM.
05-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The web site you are attempting to access has a certificate that has expired. It is your choice to access the site anyway or not.
05-28-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's possible that your computer's clock is off.

Also, there are some CA's which are no longer deemed as trustworthy as they're issuing certificates to potentially shady web sites. StartSSL is one of the affected CA's, you can read more about what happened on wikipedia

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The web site you are attempting to access has a certificate that has expired. It is your choice to access the site anyway or not.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's possible that your computer's clock is off.

Also, there are some CA's which are no longer deemed as trustworthy as they're issuing certificates to potentially shady web sites. StartSSL is one of the affected CA's, you can read more about what happened on wikipedia
Thanks for the replies !
So, what exactly should I do with this?
It is (apparently) coming direct from Microsoft and if I choose to accept it, rather than clicking on "Block", will it cause problems?
OK, I will go to Wiki and see what they say there.
Hopefully, I'LL be able to make this message disappear.

05-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IE is deemed no longer safe, and Edge is the "new and improved" MS replacement. You might give it a try - it seems OK, mon ami.

Oh, and people who should know tell me Windows Defender is very good on its own, too.
05-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
IE is deemed no longer safe, and Edge is the "new and improved" MS replacement. You might give it a try - it seems OK, mon ami.

Oh, and people who should know tell me Windows Defender is very good on its own, too.
I use Edge on my laptop but this PC runs Win 7 (64bits) .... can it be installed on it?
Thanks! Merci!
05-28-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I use Edge on my laptop but this PC runs Win 7 (64bits) .... can it be installed on it?
Thanks! Merci!
No, it is for Windows 10 :-( Many people use Firefox, though the latest version (52+) no longer supports Java...

05-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks for the replies !
So, what exactly should I do with this?
It is (apparently) coming direct from Microsoft and if I choose to accept it, rather than clicking on "Block", will it cause problems?
OK, I will go to Wiki and see what they say there.
Hopefully, I'LL be able to make this message disappear.
It's probably fine just to accept it, but I wouldn't submit any personal info to that site, just in case (it could theoretically be spoofed).

And yeah, IE is a dying browser. Chrome or Firefox are suitable replacements.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-29-2017, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #9

IE is so 2005
05-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My advice (worth as much as you paid for it :P):

Look into the business models and mission statements for both Google and Mozilla and think about what it means for the future of the internet if everyone adopted one or the other. They're both "free" in terms of cost... but are there other kinds of freedoms to consider?

You may find that your hand is forced and one browser just works better for you. On mobile, I find that Chrome is much better suited and the Firefox app made my device run hot and slow when I tried it (in addition to not supporting Flash). That may change in the future and so I will check Firefox mobile again; I haven't written it off. But for now it's Chrome.

On PC however, where it is not hindered, Firefox has a permanent stay on my desktop and laptop. My wife also uses Firefox on her Macbook over the default Safari. We haven't found a reason (yet) to prefer or need the proprietary browser. YMMV

Use whatever works for you but make it a conscious decision, I say, and know why you chose it.

Last edited by lightbox; 05-29-2017 at 05:48 PM.
06-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are other options as well. Such as palemoon browser, srware iron, etc... Mind you that many websites will still popup messages wanting you to use one of the specific browsers they support if the site doesn't recognize what you're using. Weather channel's website is a prime example of this behavior.