Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think by the end of your paragraph you've talked yourself out of B&Ms, Reeftool!
My preference remains the same. I would rather support locally owned brick and mortar stores than buy online. The fact that I can't get many of the things I want doesn't change that. Retail stores moan and groan about Amazon but far too many of them force you buy online by not stocking stuff. After enough wasted trips and not finding what you want, you end up saying "the heck with it" and not going to the store at all. Any shopping I do is a 30 mile round trip, even groceries.

09-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some stores get it, some don't. This week my wife bought new running shoes. From the local store in town. Identical price to buying online. The did not have stock because the particular model she prefers is one of the more expensive models in the manufacturers range and they don't carry floor stock of that model but it was ordered and in the shop less than 24 hours after she went in and asked.

Also this week, I bought a new tyre, and some inner tubes for my bicycle. Online, 5 days to get here from the UK, free freight, couriered to my door and half the price than I can get the same thing from any shop in New Zealand.
09-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I don't generally shop online for clothes and shoes. Shoes and boots in particular. After surgeries on both feet, I need to try them on. I need wide sizes. Some clothes I do get online but it's stuff I know will fit. Lap swimming is part of my workout routine and the chlorine really does a number on swim suits. 3 or 4 months and they're done. I buy either Speedo or Tyr Jammers, which ever is on sale in a 36. I know they will fit. That, BTW, is another thing I CAN'T buy locally. Dick's Sporting Goods might have a pair at double the price of Amazon or Swim Outlet. The last time I looked, they were out of stock. Online, they are around $25. If Dick's does have my size, it's $59.95. That's not "a little more". That's a LOT MORE!

I can do better at some B&M stores. About 10 miles away, there is a LL Bean outlet. Their prices are awesome! The same for the Under Armour store. Considerably cheaper than than their online catalogs. Of course, being an outlet, the stuff is all discontinued or returns.
09-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I initially started this thread as a small attempt at a bit of humor about a quick trip to the camera store grew like Topsy and ultimately yielded nothing. As usual it was humor only I saw, and the responses have been a bit more serious than I originally intended.

So I yield to more thoughtful souls and will now try to add to these sober and thoughtful responses. This week I had my first experience with having to return a defective product to Amazon. I must say the process could not have been easier.

I went online and Amazon directed me to my recent orders and I clicked on the one with which I had problems. From a selection menu I chose that I wanted a replacement item. I was instructed to click the button to print out a prepaid return label. They sent out the replacement item via overnight shipping. I have 30 days to pack and return the broken item (its already on the way). I was inconvenienced by merely a day.

And that's why I use Amazon.

Just sayin' . . .