Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2017, 03:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photobucket killed external linking for free accounts

without so much as a warning. Want them to show up again? Get a $400 a year subscription

Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

There go another million topics robbed of their images. How long will Flickr last????

07-01-2017, 03:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
without so much as a warning. Want them to show up again? Get a $400 a year subscription

There go another million topics robbed of their images. How long will Flickr last????
With the way the internet is going, everything will require a cloud subscription soon enough

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-01-2017, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just host it on a home server or a private domain. Hosting sites will have to find out they will become insignificant if they want to rip you of. Photobucket could at least have offered a differentiated plan depending on bandwidth you use instead of $40 a month. I can get a unlimited traffic host with 100GB storage for €4,99 a month. (which is massive overkill for my usage).
07-01-2017, 05:05 AM   #4

Meh. Photobucket hosting for PF was living on borrowed time anyway as long as they don't support HTTPS.

The odd thing is Photobucket's galleries and photo browser still show the copy n paste links. You would think they would have shut those off if your account is unable to serve embedded links.

07-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

All my recent linked images have been replaced by the PB ransom demand (actually all my linked images but I'm not too bothered by the ones from previous years). There's no way I'm paying $400 per year for the few shots I post so this weekend I will be moving my images to a new host (not decided which yet although I do have an unused Flickr account) and then repairing the links in my recent posts. Hopefully PF will still let me edit my posts from a week ago as I know some forums have a time limit on the ability to edit.
07-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

They did worse a couple years ago. Could not sort images by filename. People had to make many albums with few images to find them. I left.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/...otobucket.html

07-01-2017, 10:09 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

It is a world we should realize we cannot trust for longevity of unwritten contracts. Airline miles, pensions, annuities, photo hosting sites, and a long list of other services and benefits we think will be around when we need them.....simply won't!

Regards!

07-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #8

The question is if other image hosting sites will follow Photobucket?
07-01-2017, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If they do, they will die.

Their ads are also unacceptably horrendous, as I witnessed trying to view an image and getting a adblocker-blocker.

Photobucket deserves to die.
07-02-2017, 01:27 PM   #10
dmr

This (Photobucket) made the lede on Petapixel this morning.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's always been my impression that flickr at least tolerates, and even encourages posting on photo boards and such.

Of course they were recently bought out, so ... ... {dot-dot-dot}
07-03-2017, 01:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmr Quote
t's always been my impression that flickr at least tolerates, and even encourages posting on photo boards and such.

It's a way for them to lead traffic to their site (because most people don't bother to edit out the url tags from the sharing code.)

Google photo's makes it nigh impossible to embed photo's in forum code (can be done but you have to edit the url and make sure the file is shared). With microsoft onedrive it is still a bit easier though the url is monstrous. For fast shares I have been using pageshot (a firefox plugin you can use to make screenshots with) but that is still in beta and only uses png. Advantage is that it is fast. A pageshot is saved directly to cloud storage. the file expires after 14 days but you can set it to indefinitely. I also use it the share images I upload to dropbox first.(since dropbox ended support for embedding as well, but when I can view it in a browser I can share it).
07-03-2017, 02:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Just host it on a home server or a private domain. Hosting sites will have to find out they will become insignificant if they want to rip you of. Photobucket could at least have offered a differentiated plan depending on bandwidth you use instead of $40 a month. I can get a unlimited traffic host with 100GB storage for €4,99 a month. (which is massive overkill for my usage).
expensive , you can get one for €18,90 per year including a domain
07-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I use a mix of photobucket and flickr. Flickr for the nice stuff photobucket for the general rabble.

Just search for my older posts, my photobucket stuff seems to remain in place. but it might be time to find another hosting site...

EDIT: Although a perusal of the lens sample threads show it's devastating effect....

Last edited by serothis; 07-03-2017 at 11:14 AM.
07-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I saw the headline for this, my first thought was..what fresh hell is this? and I nailed it, this is going to be hell for people who have had long standing accounts and mountains of content. Migrating all of that content over to a new platform isn't easy or simple. And they better hope the new platform they turn to doesn't pull the same dirty trick on them.

Photobucket could at least have offered a differentiated plan depending on bandwidth you use instead of $40 a month.
I too, find this surprising. They could have had a subscription model that worked off the users anticipated bandwidth needs - rather than a steep brick wall of $499.95 in bitcoin

Well I suppose they saw the cash flow the recent ransomware attacks brought in, and thought they should get in on that action.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-03-2017 at 05:18 PM.
07-04-2017, 04:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I've seen nothing about this with my free Photobucket site. Posted pictures in 3 of the forums today with no issue. Maybe they changed their minds.

Tim