Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What do you listen to, while driving ?

If I'm alone in one of our vehicles, I usually don't listen to the radio, personal recordings....anything really. I'm content to just glide along without listening to anything. Goes for short hops or long distance highway drives. My first vehicles were motorcycles so that is maybe where I got into the habit.

I do like the sound of a nice sounding engine though....and do like to hear both our car engines....run hard through the gears. They are both healthy V6's and have a nice note when under load...but they're not under load that much ...so that would be just an occasional aural treat.

I'm retired now, so I don't usually listen to traffic reports and being retired try to avoid driving downtown anyway...so don't have the need to find out which route is blocked, etc.

When driving with my wife or friends, we talk with each other...the radio/sound system is off.

What do you do ?

07-03-2017, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm like you. For local trips, occasionally, I'll listen to the radio, then when the adverts come on, I tend to put it off again and just listen to the car. On long trips, I like to listen to Pink Floyd.
07-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I almost always listen to BBC Radio 4. It has a good mix of national news, current affairs, science, arts, drama, comedy and intelligent quiz / game show programming, and there's plenty of variety for a long journey
07-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually listen to music CDs or FM radio in the car on my daily commute.
Commercial radio is awful; it's NPR (WNYC) and the college stations for me.
I have an input cable for an MP3 player but I never bothered to connect it.

Chris

07-04-2017, 05:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
alone...from 4-7 (am/pm) I usually listen to npr if I have the radio on
after that about 25% of the time I stream from my phone

when accompanied by someone...just conversation
07-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Driving by myself Ilisten to my running playlist. Mostly upbeat stuff with pace.

When anyone else sin the car, I listen to them.
07-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My radio's rarely on ... my phone is connected by AUX cable and podcasts/Spotify are the go.

I think the car's a great place to listen to what we really want, since at home and the workplace we have to consider others.

Last edited by clackers; 07-04-2017 at 11:41 AM.
07-04-2017, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What do you listen to, while driving ?
A good belt of ZZ Top or AC/DC up loud... just enough to get the road rage going.
07-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A good belt of ZZ Top or AC/DC up loud... just enough to get the road rage going.
LOL One of my favourite driving songs is AC / DC's "Sin City"... can't beat it. Of course, they don't play that kind of thing on Radio 4
07-04-2017, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
they don't play that kind of thing on Radio 4
Aye... but in the morning, Today with John Humphrys and James Naughtie, politicians ducking answering the questions has the same effect with me, I'm soon shouting at the radio.
07-04-2017, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
But to really get your blood flowing you need this:
07-04-2017, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I mostly listen to the road sounds and the voices in my head. Occasionally I'll listen to my recorded music.
Rarely, very rarely, I listen to broadcast radio.
07-04-2017, 03:20 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I mostly listen to the road sounds and the voices in my head. Occasionally I'll listen to my recorded music.
Rarely, very rarely, I listen to broadcast radio.
(Laughs). Well, the extra voices in your head may qualify you to use the car pool lane.

07-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

In the car, either the radio or my phone plugged into the AUX port. I live in mountains along the northern fringe of the Albany-Capital District radio signal so it really depends on where I'm going as to whether I'm listening to my own collection, which is on my phone, or a radio channel. Cell service is also spotty so streaming isn't reliable either.

When on 2 wheels, the sound of the Harley V Twin in the wind is all the music I need.
07-04-2017, 06:55 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are three talk-radio hosts whom I enjoy listening to, so if they are on, I will listen. Otherwise, I listen to the sounds of the day. I stopped listening to music while driving a couple of decades ago.