Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2017, 01:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For journeys over 40 minutes I'll generally put on a CD,anything less and BBC Radio Two,wish I had a DAB radio in my car as much prefer BBC6 Music.

07-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought I was the only one still using CDs.
I don't see so many apparently defective discarded CD-Rs on the ground anymore, desilvering over time.
Years ago sitting in traffic I remember seeing long hanks of magnetic tape , failed 8-track tapes I suppose.

Chris
07-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #18
dmr

For drive time in the morning and afternoon I usually have on that Evul Librul National Public Radio for the drive time news and talk shows. I and my sometimes mini-carpool cohort both enjoy those.

For music, about the only local station that does not totally suck because of tight playlists is the college station (heavy on modern rock) over at Iowa Western, but their signal is weak and spotty. I do have XM and I often listen to Bluesville (RIP BBK), Underground Garage, and a few others off and on.
07-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
In the car, either the radio or my phone plugged into the AUX port. I live in mountains along the northern fringe of the Albany-Capital District radio signal so it really depends on where I'm going as to whether I'm listening to my own collection, which is on my phone, or a radio channel. Cell service is also spotty so streaming isn't reliable either.

When on 2 wheels, the sound of the Harley V Twin in the wind is all the music I need.
I know what you mean. I used to have a Yamaha high performance, 2 stroke twin cylinder motorcycle. It had a 'quavery' yowl when running it through the gears. Very satisfying to listen to, but I had to be careful about where I would run it hard. Only in isolated areas with little or no population. When that engine started to yowl...the speed really gathered fast. I would shut it down quickly though...didn't want to go over the speed limit. Usually just give it a quick run....in first and a bit through second.

07-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I know what you mean. I used to have a Yamaha high performance, 2 stroke twin cylinder motorcycle. It had a 'quavery' yowl when running it through the gears. Very satisfying to listen to, but I had to be careful about where I would run it hard. Only in isolated areas with little or no population. When that engine started to yowl...the speed really gathered fast. I would shut it down quickly though...didn't want to go over the speed limit. Usually just give it a quick run....in first and a bit through second.
Motorcycles all have a distinctive sound to them, especially in third gear on a twisty back road. Back in the day, my Honda CB550F with the 4 into 1 pipes would just howl at high RPM's. I loved the sound of it. On the highway however, it's high pitched whine and buzz wasn't pleasant. I find the Harley a much better highway ride.

It may just be that my hearing is shot but a lot of motorcycles today have sound systems either built in or added on. It's no longer just just the full dress touring bikes. I have test rode many of them and the music sounds like crap and I have never considered earphones or helmet speakers a worthwhile investment. I just don't feel the need to have music in the background when on 2 wheels.
07-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Motorcycles all have a distinctive sound to them, especially in third gear on a twisty back road. Back in the day, my Honda CB550F with the 4 into 1 pipes would just howl at high RPM's. I loved the sound of it. On the highway however, it's high pitched whine and buzz wasn't pleasant. I find the Harley a much better highway ride.

It may just be that my hearing is shot but a lot of motorcycles today have sound systems either built in or added on. It's no longer just just the full dress touring bikes. I have test rode many of them and the music sounds like crap and I have never considered earphones or helmet speakers a worthwhile investment. I just don't feel the need to have music in the background when on 2 wheels.
I agree with you regarding having a sound system with a bike. I've never had music while riding one of my motorcycles. To me the engine sound is the 'radio' .

I'm older now , but still ride occasionally...but on my son's motorcycles. He had a new Yamaha sports bike which was quite exhilarating, but has since traded it in on a new BMW GS.

I really like the BMW...lots of power from it's twin cylinder engine, handling and flick-ability are excellent and those big Brembo brakes bring it to a halt quickly. Another thing I like about it...is that as per most BMW motorcycles...it's very quiet. You can hear the engine note...it's a nice, refined, powerful twin cylinder beat....it's a 800cc vertical twin...so sounds different from a V-Twin....or from BMW's boxer twin. I also think BMW has done and excellent job with their on/off road GS series. Compliant, comfortable ride....good on and off road, or as BMW says....Gelande / Strasse.

In fact BMW use the F700/800 GS and 1200 GS , with appropriate modifications as very effective and quick police package motorcycles. I think if I were in the market for a motorcycle I would look closely at the BMW GS series.
09-29-2017, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I like mostly either CD compilations I made years ago or whatever I can find on the radio, depending what works in a given car. The Ratmobile's got a nice enough exhaust note but I don't go in for the silence thing. (Added a stainless steel tip and put in some sound damping to replace where a third seat was: I do think a stainless steel exhaust bit at least at the end just sounds nice.) Do need a stereo with an auxiliary input or something at least until I hack one into my old period-correct Jensen, though.

10-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

No radio, no music. Just the motor and road noise. Been doing it like this for years, even on 14 hour drives. Very restful.
10-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My old 2003 has developed some exhaust noise, most noticeable on startup and when cold.
A non-critical portion of the heat shield had become loose. That was removed and now it's a bit better.

The honeycomb material inside the catalytic converter has started to come loose and that's causing some of the noise.
The service manager advises I do nothing; he says it shouldn't cause any problems and will probably run for years like that.
I hope to replace this car before I need to replace the cat.

In the meantime I'll just turn up the volume on the car radio...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-16-2017 at 10:48 AM.
10-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Around town I usually ride my bike but I do need to drive every now and then.
When I drive in town I usually listen to the radio, either "World Famous" KBUT (they stream too) from Crested Butte which is eclectic and generally pretty good. Or if they have a show on that I'm not into I'll try the local college station, KWSB which can be good and also can be other things at times.

Since this is a mountainous area if I'm driving between towns or out into wild places I can't rely on broadcast radio so in those cases I listen to what ever I have loaded onto my phone.
Over the past few years my stock stereos in both my 2004 Forester and 2007 Tacoma have failed and I've replaced them both with new head units that don't have CD players. I buy fewer and fewer CDs and that seems to be a mechanical weak point for car stereos here in the dusty West so now I have done away with them for our cars.
These new heads have Bluetooth, line in, and even a USB port you can just plug a hard drive or USB stick into loaded with tunes. I honestly do not miss CDs one bit.
10-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Depends what the other people on the bus are talking about - and in rural Norfolk, that can be hilarious - ditto during the summer tourist season, when every red-raw grockle has his/her own idea of how Norfolk should be run !
10-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Depends what the other people on the bus are talking about - and in rural Norfolk, that can be hilarious - ditto during the summer tourist season, when every red-raw grockle has his/her own idea of how Norfolk should be run !
MY ex and I were on a bus trip once in Toronto, listening to a couple of experienced rural New Brunswickers explaining to their newly arrived friends how to get around in Toronto. It started with "It's not like back home, when the fire trucks go by, nobody follows them." An explanation of how you figure out which high rise you live in and how to find the experienced guy's apartment once you get in the building. Apparently using numbers to define buildings and apartments was a completely novel concept. There were a few times where I wanted to burst out laughing but it wouldn't have been polite and might have deterred them from further explanations of city life.
10-19-2017, 02:55 AM   #28
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I logged 800,000 miles in 5 years driving Monstro and Company.

Mostly I listed to the XM Radio (several music and talk channels), my iPod with about 6,000 songs, or the sounds of the road, engine, tires, wind and weather.

And sometimes to nothing. I'd tune it out.

Totally visual.

Try that sometime with a manual shift vehicle. Plug your ears so you can't hear the things you need to for shifting, accelerating, decelerating.

Zen behind the wheel.

These days commuting in my Legacy wagon I have the XM Radio (same one I had in the truck, lifetime subscription, now with over one million miles and counting . . . . . also slips into a dock in my Dodge Ram (the original vehicle that it was used in), and a dock in my shop, and one in my house), or my iPod. The stereo also gets AM/FM and will spin a CD, but when you can pack tens of thousands of songs into a device that will fit in your pocket, and have a 'radio' that stays tuned in from coast to coast and just about anywhere in the northern hemisphere south of the arctic circle, who needs all the fuss?

Oh, and there have been the times driving the race car.

Lots of things to listen to there. The engine of my car. Screaming and snarling. The tires on my car, bawling as I push the limits in the corners. The engines of the competitors cars, snarling and shrieking, their tires complaining. The sweet smell of racing fuel being burned at just the right stoichiometric ratio, a delight to the olfactory gland. The heavy G loading during acceleration, braking and cornering. The wind buffeting the car at speed. The feel of the car under me as is struggles to stay connected to the pavement and go where I point it.

The rush of the experience.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 10-19-2017 at 03:09 AM.
10-19-2017, 04:18 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to listen a bit to sports talk radio but now it too is political so I tune it out. Mike and Mike in the morning was pretty good but that show is going away. I did have XM radio with my new Frontier for 3 months. Then mostly the 60's and 70's channels. Now I can go days without driving it and I never have a radio on in the house so I let the subscription lapse. I don't think that a single good song has been written since 1985 or so. As for CD's, Moody Blues, John Denver, Beatles,Time Life music collections from the 60's and 70's. In North Dakota I like to listen to the farm based talk shows. Just something different and I learn new things.
10-19-2017, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
In North Dakota I like to listen to the farm based talk shows. Just something different and I learn new things.

In the 1960's N.Y. City TV stations used to broadcast Modern Farmer and Across The Fence early after morning sign-on.
To a little boy in suburban Queens it seemed like transmissions from an alien planet.

Chris