Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Microsoft Edge browser

A few months ago I switched (mostly) from Firefox to Microsoft Edge, which comes with Windows 10. Edge is the latest greatest replacement for Internet Explorer.

Occasionally it will hang up (not allowing data entry or mouse clicks), and present a "Select all, copy, paste" type of drop-down list in the top left corner. It is on random web pages.

I have to close it with task manager, then reopen where I left off.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-14-2017 at 11:15 PM.
07-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

yup, and its going to happen a lot. Most web page editors are based on Chrome now, and Edge will try to emulate a lot of that code..but in fact it will work twice harder recoding Google script, to the point it will bog down. If you use Edge just for seeing Microsoft content, youll be fine. Outside of the resort, not so good
07-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a love /hate relation ship with it. I also keep Firefox as my other system. On noghts when Edge s giving me fits I switch to Firefox. I also notice Edge does not stream videos very well. At That point I switch to Firefox as well.
07-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use three major browsers (chrome, edge, firefox) interchangeably. For some sites one works better for some another. Sometimes after site upgrade particular browser stop working properly and that continues till browser itself get updated. And browser could be painfully slow because it is under upgrade itself. In that case I usually prefer switch (temporary) to another one.

Last edited by jumbleview; 07-17-2017 at 08:30 AM.
07-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I use three major browsers (chrome, edge, firefox) interchangeably. For some sites one works better for some another. Sometimes afters site upgrade particular browser stop working properly and that continues till browser itself get updated. And browser could be painfully slow because it is under upgrade itself. In that case I usually prefer switch (temporary) to another one.
I do as well with one exception...firefox is screwed down very tight regarding its privacy settings...seems to have reduced spam and targeted ads

the few sites I visit that require logins I do via edge

the three streaming services (video and music) I use are done via chrome...it seems to work best
08-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had to switch to Edge because that's what my new computer with windows 10 offered. It also comes with a toned down version of Internet explorer. I also have a love/hate relationship with Edge. The most frustrating thing is the learning curve. They hid most of their features and controls like File Explorer under a bunch of menus. After using this browser for more than 6 months I still don't know where some features are. I have to Google them to find out where they are and how to use them. As far as I can tell it's just as buggy as the previous versions of Windows. Often I get the message "Page cannot be displayed" then I click again and it displays the page. For videos I go straight to Firefox, otherwise I would spend half my day waiting for the damn video to download.
08-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Firefox is my preference. Chrome when I must (I hate Google but there are so many necessary tools I finally opened an account and exposed myself to the Borg). Never ever ever Edge.

08-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've not had any problems (yet) with Edge but, in time I'd like to dump Chrome entirely and only keep Edge and Firefox.
08-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Firefox is my preference. Chrome when I must (I hate Google but there are so many necessary tools I finally opened an account and exposed myself to the Borg). Never ever ever Edge.
How are you doing search?
08-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I just went in a changed the default browser back to Internet explorer, I wouldn't wipe my bottom with edge. Windows10 just wants to use apps for everything, but most of the original progams are still there.

For searches. DuckDuckGo
08-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
How are you doing search?
DuckDuckGo - no tracking or ads.
08-24-2017, 05:47 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no interest in edge, using Firefox mainly, as an alternative Chromium and sometimes Qupzilla or Opera on occasions, Google doesn’t interest me, for search mainly Ecosia or DuckDuckGo
08-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

They still make a Windows browser? Who knew?

They still make Windows?
08-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
They hid most of their features and controls like File Explorer under a bunch of menus.
I simply right-click on the windows icon at the bottom of the screen. This brings up a listing of just about everything I need to access.

I use Edge, and so far it's my most used; Firefox is my next favorite.
08-30-2017, 07:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I just went in a changed the default browser back to Internet explorer, I wouldn't wipe my bottom with edge. Windows10 just wants to use apps for everything, but most of the original progams are still there.

For searches. DuckDuckGo
Use ANY other browser than Internet Explorer. It is the hernia that holds back everything good. Even Microsoft has given up on it in favor of Edge.