Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2017, 11:47 AM - 2 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In this day and age, a business has to streamline and be as cost effective as possible. I have no issues with B&H doing what it needs to do to compete in the marketplace.

As for commuting, I'm a long time upstate NY resident in the southern Adirondacks. I have commuted for over 40 years to the Albany/Capital District to work. I have co-workers who drive from Mass. and VT, much further than I do. At one time, it was common for the people in the Northern suburbs to commute. In recent years, the jobs have been moving out of the Albany-Troy-Schenedtady area and into Saratoga and Warren Counties and the city residents are now commuting to the boondocks. The Global Foundry's chip plant is the largest employer. There is almost an equal amount of traffic commuting both directions these days. BTW, I have a relative who lives in Pine Plains, well over 100 miles north of the city and commutes every day with a 30 mile drive to the train station and then the train to NYC. That's life for many of us. I'm sure some will relocate. Florence is a nice town. How many will commute is up to them.

Rather than complaining about businesses leaving, perhaps NYC should address the issue of WHY businesses are leaving. Good luck, B&H and I hope you continue to be successful.

07-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #62
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
No, that's merely your opinion, to which you are of course entitled.
Hundreds, perhaps thousands of companies - many far larger than B&H - are perfectly fine with those logistics.
More accurately, hundreds, perhaps thousands of companies - many far larger than B&H - tolerate those logistics despite the inconvenience and expense.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
As for commuting, I'm a long time upstate NY resident in the southern Adirondacks. I have commuted for over 40 years to the Albany/Capital District to work. I have co-workers who drive from Mass. and VT, much further than I do. At one time, it was common for the people in the Northern suburbs to commute.
A couple I used to be friendly with lived in central NJ. He commuted daily to Philadelphia. She commuted daily to mid-town Manhattan.
07-27-2017, 05:10 PM - 3 Likes   #63
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Businesses exist for one reason. They exist to make money for the owners/shareholders. Period. B&H, Adorama, Shell Oil, Walmart, etc. are not benevolent organizations. They aren't here to do you (the consumer) a favor.
As long as they are operating within the law there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The people who think there is are generally those whose income is not dependent on a free market.

Last edited by Parallax; 07-27-2017 at 05:25 PM.
07-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
A couple I used to be friendly with lived in central NJ. He commuted daily to Philadelphia. She commuted daily to mid-town Manhattan.
Just an interesting side note on commutes. I have friends who commute between the neighboring cities of Albany, Schenectady, and Troy. The distances are rather short, only a few miles, and yet they spend more time traveling from one end of Central Ave to the other than I do with my 32 mile each way trip. It normally takes me 40 minutes. Since I work just 1/2 mile off the interstate exit, there is rarely a traffic issue.

Back in the early 70"s, I lived on Long Beach Island in southern Ocean County, NJ. A lot of people commuted to Philly daily and some even to the northern NJ - NYC metro area.