Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
In a sense I'm also hypocritical too because I do occasionally shoot flowers and landscapes. I don't believe I shoot these out of subject interest, but rather interest to see if I can get the same/similar results as those who have a passion for the subject. Often I find that I'm dejected by my results...and usually I chalk it up to subject interest, as I believe I'm a competent shooter who perhaps lacks somewhat in PP'ing the WOW factor.

c[_]
I've taken my share of flower shots, and I feel about the same as you. They don't speak to me so it becomes more of a technical exercise than try to create art.

I'm a big fan of aerial shots, and it's not something I can do on a regular basis (though I am planning some flights in the fall), so I always pay closer attention to those types of shots, even if they are just snaps.

The things that really speak to me are the pictures that are able to express an emotion or tell a story. It may be one in a hundred, but I know instantly when I see it, and it leave an impression on me.

08-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
you purposely misinterpreted my words, but whatever.

LOL not at all gooshin, it's certainly a brick wall but as you've stated "intepretation", now that is the joy of my photography
08-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
I often find myself looking at a photo and saying "wow thats cool" for the sole reason that i will never in the near future be able to see or do something similar

for example arial shots of the tropical islands (or any sort of hardcore arial shot for that mater.

a picture of a temple in shang hai.

a buddihst monk in prayer somewhere in the mountains

or a crocodile nearly biting off someones foot

when we look at images that are beyond our ability to capture, do we truly appreciate them for being good photographs, or more so because of the noveltly factor?

being an automotive enthusiast and racing participant, pictures of cars drifting or drag launching, or doing a corner bore the hell out of me, very rarely do automotive racing photographs truly spark my intrest, but that is only because i have seen alot of it with my own two eyes, from the pit and from behind the wheel.

someone thats never seen a racecar in his/her life might really be fascinated by such a display of images

likewise a hardcore camper/hiker might be bored to hell watching other's photographs of nature trails and lakes, yet give him photographs of intriquet architecture and they might drool.

thoughts?

hmmmm??
Having just looked at the rusian invasion of Killarny, I find the reference here to hiking and camping amusing.

Seriously though, I think there are two distinctions to be made here. The first is photos that attract your interest because they are of places or things you would not normally visit or things you would see/do.

the second however, is a really great shot, even if it is a nature shot, viewed by a nature lover and photographer can still be appreciated. Generally there will always be a better photographer than you out there somewhere, who can make a shot you will never make, or take a viewpoint yoou would never think of.

I put photos into two categories, great shots, and great places/things to see. I have no problem telling them apart
08-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #19

Pictures are really just an arrangement of light and shapes. If you can find the right balance and things work and all the elements come together then that is what makes an exceptional image. It doesn't really matter what the subject is as much as how you took it.

Taking pictures of exotic locations or scenes doesn't guarantee good photo.... but a so so image of something you've never seen before is better then a so so image of something you see every day.

08-20-2008, 01:59 AM   #20

I tend to group shots as "snapshots", which means to me, it's just a representation of what is there with no real specific focus, or theme, or art, or point to the shot, and then a "photograph", which has one or more of the previously mentioned things.

A photograph of anything with some well thought out direction behind it can still be powerful, but it takes a hell of an amazing shot of things like flowers or pets or someone's kids which I think are frankly done to death. But each to their own.

Most of my shots are still snapshots, unfortunately