Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Geocaching!

Just recently started doing this activity after a co-worker introduced me to it. I plan on setting out my own caches sometime soon but where I want to put them requires an application and fee due to being a state park. Had to buy a gps unit though, as my cellphone's gps chip isn't that accurate for small distances... does fine for roads or on the lake though. Anyone else doing this activity?

07-25-2017, 12:48 AM   #2

I have done this, it's a kick. It is a great way to get out and see unusual places. It's also fun to know the secret hiding places around town that 90% of people don't know about.

What kind of phone do you have? Most modern smart phones should be accurate enough. I started with a Samsung GS3. Sad to say, but the Iphones were the best. You don't need the GPS to get you standing on the cache, just close enough to look for it.

Good hunting!
07-25-2017, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't do it myself, but the older version of Geocaching called Letterboxing is hugely popular here on Dartmoor. Instead of using GPS, people follow clues to the hundreds of "letterboxes" hidden on the moor, and leave their personal stamp in a book to show that they've found it. I often come across those little plastic boxes completely by accident. . . and even more often I come across walkers wandering around looking for the letterbox that they know is near them somewhere.

It actually all started here on Dartmoor back in the middle of the 19th Century, when the first cache was left at a spot called Cranmere Pool, which is notorious for the difficulty of finding it and the bogginess of the ground around. That first letterbox was a way for people to prove that they'd really found the place.
07-25-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I dabbled with it a few years ago with my Garmin unit, haven't tried it with my cell phone yet.
My youngest son had his fiancee to be, now wife, open a cache at the Garden of the Gods in Colorado.
Inside was an engagement ring, he then proposed to her.
His sister-in-law did the hiding and standing guard nearby.

07-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chunkiness Quote
I have done this, it's a kick. It is a great way to get out and see unusual places. It's also fun to know the secret hiding places around town that 90% of people don't know about.

What kind of phone do you have? Most modern smart phones should be accurate enough. I started with a Samsung GS3. Sad to say, but the Iphones were the best. You don't need the GPS to get you standing on the cache, just close enough to look for it.

Good hunting!
I have an Asus Zenfone 2 Laser. It gets me in the general area, but then the distances start bouncing around like they're in a kid's jump castle, and it tends to lead me in circles... the first cache, it had me about 60ft off in the wrong direction. The garmin unit gets me within 20 ft fairly reliably.
07-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I never got around to trying geocaching, but I'm playing Ingress. Sort of the same result in that it gets me out and about to see new and (more or less) interesting places that I otherwise wouldn't know existed. Can be a good combination with photography as well, although I sometimes get too concentrated on the game....
07-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I never got around to trying geocaching, but I'm playing Ingress. Sort of the same result in that it gets me out and about to see new and (more or less) interesting places that I otherwise wouldn't know existed. Can be a good combination with photography as well, although I sometimes get too concentrated on the game....
Ingress, while it still exists has been replaced with pokemon go, which is also by niantic. PG uses the ingress maps.

Went out geocaching again today. Found the remaining caches at the campground... so 4 caches today, 2 yesterday, 1 last tues, another one last sunday, and 2 the week before that for a total of 11. It would've been 12, but someone stole one of the campground caches, so I have to wait for them to replace that one.

07-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Ingress, while it still exists has been replaced with pokemon go, which is also by niantic. PG uses the ingress maps.
I wouldn't say replaced - Ingress is still actively developed. And even though PG has a lot more users, they also seem to have a lot more churn. If nothing else, I think Niantic will keep Ingress running to have their maps kept alive.

QuoteQuote:
Went out geocaching again today. Found the remaining caches at the campground... so 4 caches today, 2 yesterday, 1 last tues, another one last sunday, and 2 the week before that for a total of 11. It would've been 12, but someone stole one of the campground caches, so I have to wait for them to replace that one.
I do like the more deliberate pace of goecaching, and the fact that you exchange real objects. Ingress can get a bit "busy" at times. But the social part of the game is a nice bonus. I guess the two would combine well.
08-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One of the nice things about geocaching is that they can be just about anywhere. You'd be surprised if you started up the geocaching app near your workplace or at a state park, to see how many show up. I need to get back out looking for caches again, but with the weather lately, my foot problems, and it being tick season you can imagine how much I've gone out to do so. I need to find a new geocaching buddy, my co-worker is one of the types who doesn't like planning outings to do that and just does it spur of the moment. While one can have fun searching solo, having an extra set of eyes, and someone to bs with while walking and searching is better.
10-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
State park put out a few new caches recently (august), found 2 of the 5 new ones (the only 2 I went looking for so far). They still haven't replaced the stolen one in the campground yet though.
11-21-2017, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A reminder to stay safe while geocaching, as it is hunting season in many places right now.