Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

October Photo Vacation Spots in the West

Well, earlier this year an airline double-booked my seat on a flight to New York. I wasn't flying standby or anything ... they just sold two tickets for the same seat.

Anyway, the airline kicked me off the flight but gave me a free round-trip ticket to anywhere in the continental 48 states here in the US.

I really want to visit one of the national parks out West (somewhere in Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, etc.).

The only time when I've got some availability for vacation is in October. Any suggestions from fellow Pentaxians about photogenic vacation spots in early October?

08-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 2 cents worth for you.

Fly to Las Vegas. Rent a car, drive to Grand Canyon via old Route 66, see the "West Rim", spend a couple of nights at the South Rim, try and get a Bright Angel Cabin on the rim. Then drive out through Desert Camp, enroute to Page and the Antelope Canyon.
From there cut across to North Rim if it still open, and onto Bryce Canyon.

Depending on how much time you have, you can either then head on up Hwy 12 to Capital Reef NP and then back on the 24 to either Hwy 89 or the I 15 and head back to Las Vegas dropping in for a night at Zion NP.

If time did not allow for the HWY 12 drive from Bryce, then head back to Cedar City > I 15 > Zion > Vegas.

Other variations depending on time would be to include Sedona and a look at the Crater out from Flagstaff.
The earlier in October the better.
Have fun.
08-21-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Albuquerque west on I40 Laguna, Acoma, Zuni. Gallup, Window Rock, Canyon de Chelly, Mesa Verde. Durango (take the train to Silverton), Taos via Chama (if your timing is right you get the Aspens in gold),Taos Pueblo, High Road from Taos to Santa Fe (lunch or dinner at The Compound on Canyon Road), Albuquerque.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Taking photographs on Indian Reservations can lead to your arrest. There are NOT always SIGNS prohibiting photography, in fact no signs announcing you are on reservation land. You are supposed to KNOW these things. Of course, as long as you have paid for the guided tour at Acoma (let us say) everything is peachy.

Zuni: Permits for photography, sketching and video recording are available at the Visitor Center, located at Tribal Headquarters

Acoma: Photography permits, tours and guides are available at the Sky City Cultural Center & Haak’u Museum at the base of the mesa

San Ildefonso: Permits for non-commercial photography, sketching and recording are available, except during ceremonials, at the visitor’s center

Laguna: Please note that photography, sketching and audio/video taping are generally not allowed on Laguna land. Ask any of the village officials (try and find one) if permission can be granted for a limited scope or area.
THE WORST in my experience!!!

Taos: The pueblo levies admission, parking and photography and videography fees. Any sketching, painting or commercial photography requires advance written approval.

Having done my rant for the day, the photo opportunities are worth almost any agrivation encountered.
08-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fly to Denver, get a rental car. You're in range of Pikes Peak, Rocky Mtn Natl Park, and a huge number of photogenic spots up & down the Front Range. Might get some snow in the high country, might not. Either way, there are dozens of routes you can take looping thru the mountains and valleys out that way, and you'lll find great possibilities everywhere.

Jim
(going to Denver for work in September)