Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 619 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2018, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is amazing. You make us all humble i hope.

06-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #182
Pentaxian

Yesterday I sold off the two AF lenses which I originally bought after buying my first DSLR, the K200D. The DA 55-300mm I bought with the camera and the Tamron 17-50mm was my first non-kit AF lens. The DA zoom is not much of a loss - I sold it because I never use it as it's too big to take anywhere. The only significant use it got was on my honeymoon in Cambodia and Vietnam, where admittedly it performed very well. My longest lens is now 200mm.

The Tamron has been with me to Cambodia, Vietnam, San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Norway, Sweden... It was a great lens that saw a lot of use and I only sold it because last year I picked up a Sigma 17-50mm which I've found I prefer. I will miss that Tamron.

On the bright side, the very same day I met up with a guy here in Madrid to buy his DA 16-85mm. Yesterday was a busy day.
06-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #183
Veteran Member

I haven't technically gotten rid of it yet but I returned from holiday at the weekend to find my iMac would no longer boot up. It's a 2011 model so it's getting old by computer standards but I might try to encourage it back into life.
06-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
I haven't technically gotten rid of it yet but I returned from holiday at the weekend to find my iMac would no longer boot up. It's a 2011 model so it's getting old by computer standards but I might try to encourage it back into life.
Good luck with that. Sometimes it is just a software glitch, but other times with a 7 year old computer, it could be a component failure, and it isn't worth the hassle of replacing it in an older machine.

06-05-2018, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Good luck with that. Sometimes it is just a software glitch, but other times with a 7 year old computer, it could be a component failure, and it isn't worth the hassle of replacing it in an older machine.
Apple have made it progressively harder for anyone to fix their computers, especially the iMacs. I can upgrade the RAM and drives of an iMac G4 with a Philips and a Torx screwdriver, no other tools needed. I wouldn't even try to upgrade a G5 or one of the Intel models because it's almost impossible to get to the drives without destroying the screen or damaging the motherboard.

Re the non-booting iMac - if it's one of the models that still has slot-in memory that you can access from outside the casing (I think that one would be) it might be worthwhile pulling it, vacuuming the slots, and putting it back. That's about the only possibility you can check without serious technical skills.
06-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #186
Pentaxian

I think periodically about liquidating my K and M collection in favor of fewer numbers of higher quality A lenses, but then I think all the hassle and wonder about the return benefits... I don't know... I've done the math a few times, and it is possible to about break even. But still I can't tell if its worth it.
06-15-2018, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only benefit I find is the automatic aperture control from the camera. Everything else is so minimal in impact that it could matter less.

With my M 400, it's simple.

1. Set aperture.
2. Set ISO to suit light conditions.
3.Press green button.
4.Take pictures.

With the SMC Takumar 55/1.8 the only thing is the Man/Auto switch for aperture control.
1.Set aperture.
2.Set ISO to suit light condisionts.
3.Set lens to Man
4.Press green button
5. Set lens to Auto
6. Focus
7. Set lens to Man
8. Take pictures.

Don't see much reason to spend $$$ to upgrade either lens.

Albert

06-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #188
Pentaxian

Gave a Kodak instant camera (some collectors are around, I think) and 30 100mb Zip disks in storage boxes to a Cancer Research shop. The disks were given to me, but I only needed a few, and while they sell for a pound or so each on eBay the hassle of sending them out etc. would be a total pain - bottom line, I like to raise money for this charity so it seemed like the best thing to do with the rest.
06-20-2018, 05:02 AM   #189
Pentaxian

My most recent de-acquisition is the SMC DA21 Limited. This lens is pretty unique, and I still wonder if I'll regret selling it, but at least it went to a friend... I didn't use it much on full frame, and got the FA 20-35 which is a decent enough replacement.
06-20-2018, 05:11 AM - 2 Likes   #190
Pentaxian

I gave my M 50 1.4 with a slow iris to a co-worker who has an A7ii. It should work perfectly for him with an adapter.
06-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #191
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I gave my M 50 1.4 with a slow iris to a co-worker who has an A7ii. It should work perfectly for him with an adapter.
nice thing to do
06-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's a deacquisition? I can sure accumulate but find it challenging to dispose of camera equipment.
06-21-2018, 05:13 AM   #193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
What's a deacquisition? I can sure accumulate but find it challenging to dispose of camera equipment.
To each his own. I made a rule for myself not to have duplicate functions in my lens lineup. I can duplicate focal lengths, but not what I use a lens for. Hence I won't be accumulating 50s (except, right now, I'm hoarding two of them for a future comparison with the DFA 50).

When something really is never used, I tend to let it go. The wife sometimes politely encourages me...
06-21-2018, 05:13 AM   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
To each his own. I made a rule for myself not to have duplicate functions in my lens lineup. I can duplicate focal lengths, but not what I use a lens for. Hence I won't be accumulating 50s (except, right now, I'm hoarding two of them for a future comparison with the DFA 50).

When something really is never used, I tend to let it go. The wife sometimes politely encourages me...
06-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Pentax Forums member posted that he had run out of a favorite film, Agfa APX100.
I passed along at cost one of the two 100 foot spools I had recently acquired at a good price.

Chris